main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who Doesn't Hate Jar Jar anymore?..

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by lightsaver, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    He's overkill, for sure (the dinner table sequence is excessive AND annoying). But overall, I don't mind him. Not as much as Jake Lloyd, who is absolutely dreadful.

2. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    It's amazing what you can do with a film editor

It's amazing what a self-important fanboy who is disgruntled that his personal fantasies didn't play out on screen can waste time doing. It's amazing how the hypocritical media applauded this, spewing their fictions about how the majority of SW fans loved this so-called "edit" much better than the film.

and how it can easily change a character from an annoying buffoon to a hero.

Never mind that Jar Jar wasn't meant to be a hero, but an annoying buffoon.

I was hmmm...13/14 when I saw TPM, and I never minded Jar Jar. I wasn't passionate about him, but I liked him nonetheless. He strikes me as much a comic relief character, very reminiscent of the droids in ANH, but there is a very subtle, more serious side to him - the fact that the poor guy is always trying to do the right thing yet always messes up.

Yeah. He really does mean well, but he bungles everything -- kind of like C3PO, only in Jar Jar's case, he doesn't have R2 around to fix things. He also naively believes that those in power really do care about the people. No wonder he falls prey to Palpatine's cruel manipulation in AOTC.

Which comes to a head in AOTC with the election of Palpatine as a leader. I imagine if he appears in episode III, we'll see a very different Jar Jar than the cheerful figure of the first two movies.

I wouldn't doubt it. He had already become more grave and dignified (though he was still goofy when he got excited) in AOTC.

By the way, I love that he's the character in the center of the "Vanity Fair" ROTS cover. :D

3. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    I never had a problem with Jar Jar to begin with!

4. JediChick07

JediChick07 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    I never had a problem with JJB either. Not the best character ever, but certainly no one to hate. Hate is a strong word.

5. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    Jar Jar dosen't really bother me, but there are a few moments that make me cringe.

6. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't hate Jar Jar Binks, but I don't like him either.

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    the dinner table sequence is excessive AND annoying

The part with Jar Jar's tongue is what makes the dinner scene fun to watch. Sure, the information in it is interesting, but the little tongue gag really lifts the scene. It's in character for both Jar Jar and Qui-Gon, it strengthens the bond between those two characters and it does not disrupt the mood, because it's already light.
    Most importantly, it makes kids laugh and keeps them interested in the scene.

Jar Jar Binks is the World's best clown
    /LM

8. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    The tongue gag provides the opportunity for Qui Gon to demonstrate the Jedi reflexes he's just spoken of.

9. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    That too(not that he did it consciously, though).

Six episodes, two trilogies, one saga
    /LM

10. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    That's the reason lots of OT purists grew up and therefore can't relate to these kids friendly movies and bash SW because it isn't as violent and cynical as the LOTR Trilogy.

Films/fans rule, people, films/fan.

11. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    JR - I argued on behalf of JarJar in TPM just as strongly from a mythological perspective versus a Kirosowa perspective, though I never knew that Kirosowa's character bombed. Interesting piece of trivia that is. Jar-Jar is a really brilliant way to kick off the Saga in terms of the mythology - and his TPM role really strikes home for me. Your synopsis and others have been dead on.

That said, I take task with your AOTC assessment. I've heard it before - and it still doesn't jive. One, that theme (innocence led astray) was ALREADY visited in TPM, ala Padme. So, this is like hammering it into the ground, beating it with a dead horse. And two, Jar-Jar's AOTC role forced Lucas to break Jar Jar's character out of his mythological archetype - and whenever George has attempted to take liberty with his own tried and true methods, the result is a mixed reception with only the diehards accepting it and having none of the "universal" appeal which is fundamental to true myth. And three, Jar-Jar taking the rap for the fall of the Republic just lacks any sense of deeper meaning within society's collective conscious. Our history tells us this is not the case - democracies crumble under the stewardship of the best of us being led astray under the pretense of "security" by powerful men with ill intentions, NOT a cheap con played on a fool.

I hold to my original contention - a brilliant character in TPM, an out-of-place disaster in AOTC that reeks of pandering to Jar Jar haters.

----
    BTW, the Nie Numb (?) flying the Falcon in ROTJ isn't the best example to support your case. Terrible that was.

12. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    that theme (innocence led astray) was ALREADY visited in TPM, ala Padme. So, this is like hammering it into the ground, beating it with a dead horse.

God forbid that a filmmaker repeats a theme. Shame on you, Mr Lucas!
    As if he's never done that before. Both Han Solo and Lando Calrissian went through the arc of the selfish scoundrel who does the right thing in the end.

whenever George has attempted to take liberty with his own tried and true methods, the result is a mixed reception with only the diehards accepting it and having none of the "universal" appeal which is fundamental to true myth.

You're the first one I've heard of who didn't accept the way Jar Jar was portrayed in AOTC(aside from us who think he should've had his entire Senate scene).
    Interesting.

democracies crumble under the stewardship of the best of us being led astray under the pretense of "security" by powerful men with ill intentions, NOT a cheap con played on a fool.

First off, Jar Jar is not a fool - he's a rookie. Second, he's not the only one who's being led astray. Everybody is being led astray, even the Jedi.
    Symbolically, Jar Jar is also a representative of the innocent citizens of the Republic. In ROTS, he will no doubt see the consequences of his decision.

Two trilogies, or one?
    /LM

13. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    He is the Fool - and that has been argued by pro-JarJars a plenty, me being one.

And two, I'm not the first, not even this thread, who had issues with his AOTC presence.

In other words, by simply reading the contents of this thread, two of your points become null and void - without me or anyone even bothering to debate.

14. LandoSystem1138

LandoSystem1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2005
    I for one, never hated Jar Jar, and in fact liked him a lot. The reaction to Jar Jar is the same when C-3PO and R2 first appeared to audiences, and 20 years later, everybody loves those two. 20 years from now, people are going to love Jar Jar. Jake Lloyd, though, that's a different story......

15. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Too bad Amidala wanted Jar Jar's help, knowing he was a true fool ;)

16. SupremeChancellor

SupremeChancellor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    I dont like Jar Jar but ive never hated him. He is just annoying.

17. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I never hated JJ. I always thought he was funny. A little over the top, definately. I just wish people wouldn't have been so hard on him and GL. That hatred really had a bigger negative impact on SW than most fans know.

18. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    In other words, by simply reading the contents of this thread, two of your points become null and void - without me or anyone even bothering to debate.

Oh, that's convenient - just disregard two of my points and never even address my first one.
    You're a true debater, Hudnall. A rolemodel for all of us.

[face_plain]

Platitudes - they're stupid
    /LM

19. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    I try hard.

But really, why bother? Simply read. All those points have been addressed at some point in this very thread. I would simply be cutting/copying/pasting what myself or other people have already said to the point of redundancy. More than enough intellectual capital, cinematic precedence and academic study has shown that he is "the Fool". On the flipside, we have your personal assessment as to his 'smarts.' Debating would be a waste of digital airspace at this time.

Intelligence is relative.

20. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    You still didn't address my first point. You won't get away with ignoring it.

Signature - forget it
    /LM

21. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    God forbid that a filmmaker repeats a theme.

When he repeated Lando as the scoundrel gone good, he had already begun the "hammering" in the ground. Death Star II was hammering in the ground, also.

Why does EVERY SINGLE THEME have to be repeated over and over and over again? How many father-son pairs do we have? Don't we hit a point when repetition lessens the meaning the meaning of a theme? Absolutely.

The question is, does this theme need to be repeated THREE TIMES OVER within the first TWO movies? Arguably not.

22. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I never had a problem with it. It's obvious that these themes, for some reason, are important to Lucas.
    Come to think of it, I wouldn't really call it repetition, but variations. He presents variations of the same theme. As long as they are variations, there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.
    I think.

Variation is good
    /LM

23. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    And three, Jar-Jar taking the rap for the fall of the Republic just lacks any sense of deeper meaning within society's collective conscious.

But it's funny all the same.

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    He's repeating themes because that's how Star Wars works.

It's like a musical peice with refrains and choruses that repeat througout the saga.

Wake up and smell what the Lucas is cooking.

If some of you would just take two steps away from the idea that you guys could have done this better than Lucas, and consider the -possibility- (however remote it may be) that the reason you don't understand what he is doing is because he is so far beyond your ability, you might just see the methods to Lucas' apparent madness.

Who knows, you might learn something.

25. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Go-Mer maybe they understand what George Lucas is doing, they just don't LIKE it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.