main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who doesn't want to be an Admin or Mod.

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Johnny_Walker, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    admin is slang for anyone who moderates the boards, when in reality they can do pretty much anything on the boards: change color schemes, add/create/delete boards, completely erase you, and every trace that you ever existed. mods are just your general ban, edit, lock type people. i think i got that, anyone wanna correct me?

¤Night

2. Johnny_Walker

Johnny_Walker Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2001
    Thanks Night.

So how did you post that star?

3. Lady Viskor

Lady Viskor Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    I have no desires for such a position. Power is not something that appeals to me...

4. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    mmmmmm my star. i like my star... i'll pm you, but don't use it! i like it.....

¤Night

5. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

:p

6. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    what the! AHHH! [homer voice] why you little! [/homer voice]

¤Night

7. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    "How DO you become an ADMIN?"

Well there's this big pig pen, right? And there are lots of pigs in the pig pen, one for every member in fact. And every now and then Jasman jumps into the pig pen and wrestles one of the pigs. If Jasman succeeds than the user who's name was on the pig becomes an admin(actually I guess it would be mod now that the names are different from the UBB) and then there is a big feast where the pig gets eaten.

8. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    yes. that is absolutely correct. and just to make it more interesting, jasman wears a speedo while doing it.

¤Night

9. Johnny_Walker

Dec 8, 2001
    Could you tell me in a more clearer way.

10. Johnny_Walker

Dec 8, 2001
    Could you tell me in a more clearer way.

11. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Cailina- That story would be absolutely correct, if you used the right Admin. Sorry, but DL is the one that jumps from the top of the fence into the pig pen.

12. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    Johnny_Walker, you become an Admin by invitation. There's no rhyme or reason to it. If you are a good poster and you genuinely want to make this place better(good luck), you may be asked to become a Moderator.

13. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    D'oh!

My apologies oh great PreacherBoy. I meant DL not Jasman...If I could still edit my post I would....alas.

Yes you get invited but the only way you can get invited is if your pig gets wrestled by DL

14. Johnny_Walker

Dec 8, 2001
    So does DL give questions or something.

Also how many people are actually Admins and Mods.?

And, what does a manager do?

15. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I don't want to be an admin. The power would go to my head.

//reverse psychology

16. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    The real answer is that the current admin group choose who they think would be of benefit to the forums.

There are currently about 53 people with moderator/manager/admin powers. The majority of those are actively working on the forums at this point in time.

A manager is the position between that of a moderator and admin. They have more than the simple ban and lock powers to help keep the boards running. Mainly (funnily enough) relating to managing the board structure.

17. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I would absolutely love to be a moderator. But it's still very possible to be effective and accomplish many of the same things by being a concientious and respectful member. In response to the number of admins listed by Kadue, I think some of those titles were readily handed out early on in their careers and are no longer necessary. For instance, there are some moderators who were given charge of a region of the Fan Force. Many of those forums only get a few posts a day. And the number of posts and infrequent log ins by that mod reflect that.

What I have seen is that the forums that really need the help are those that are most often overlooked and considered to be fine. Those that continue to see very little activity see forum members advanced to the rank of moderator of those boards. It's confusing and frustrating.

What makes it worse is that certain mods take offense to observations that are true or that were intended solely as constructive criticism. I believe an admin should reflect a positive image and be outwardly respectful at all times. Most uphold this. Sometimes there is a double standard given to admins that does not go unnoticed by your average member.

18. Long

Long Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2001
    DarthSapient, just keep telling everyone your way is the right way, and PM padmebra and whoever else is in those forums 10 times a day ASKING to be a mod.

19. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Yeah, I heard that the mods love it when you ask them to be a mod. In fact, let that be a little gift from me to all the new people in here that wish to be a mod. Keep badgering and asking. They love it and it's the best way to get yourselves noticed and on their good side. No, really it is. Oh yeah, Padme Bra lives for those PM's about being a mod. He'll be more than happy to ban, oops, I mean promote you.

20. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    [face_laugh]

So true Sapient, so true. :D

21. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Okay, ignoring the fact that the sarcasm was waaaaay off the meter there, DON'T pester or ask to be a mod. We know when new ones are needed, and we add them as such. Most of the times that people are yelling that we don't have enough mods is like now when some are doing what everyone else in the world is, taking holidays. We're not going to just promote someone for a couple of weeks, the rest of us pick up the slack.

And DS, the only moderators that don't turn up regularly are those that have the status because they are part of the TFN staff, be it the main staff, or FF Global support.

22. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Vote #1 DarthSapient For Mod in '02!

;) :p

23. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    In the mod thread, I wasn't really upset. In fact, if we were talking face-to-face, you'd know that it really is only a small concern of mine. I think Padme Bra does an excellent job and gets some backup whenever it's needed. I also think you've done a great job since you've become a mod. You have also been extremeley responsive whenever I've asked for any help. And by the way, the pestering a mod statement was meant to be so sarcastic that hopefully nobody would believe it.

24. Johnny_Walker

Dec 8, 2001
    Yeah that's it Sapient.

DarthAttorney is a pretty good Mod. and does what a Mod. should do. He warned the guys on one of my threads about something and I credit him for that and all his good work.

hip hip.
    HOORAY

25. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    B)

One - I'm not a respected member.
    Two - I would ban people for no reason.
    Three - I wouldn't take my job very seriously because its an internet messageboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.