main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who dropped Rey off on Jakku. - Theories

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LastJediKnight, Dec 30, 2015.

1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    but whhhhy did these people drop her off in a wasteland lol?

Zenwalker likes this.
  2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Because her parents were sick of her asking 'are we there yet?' over and over on a long haul flight to the unknown regions.

11-4D and oncafar like this.
  3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004

Probably close to the same reason Luke was dropped off on Tatooine. Sure, he had family there and it was assumed Vader would never step foot on Tatooine again, but stormtroopers sure could. Wastelands tend to attract less Imperial-esque attention, especially ones that are filled with crime and poverty, there's really no reason to want to conquer it or station there; it's high risk for little pay off.

I liked the theory that Kylo was behind it, a last minute sign of compassion for someone who may or may not be related to him, but the timeline doesn't really match up. I can't see Luke voluntarily leaving her there, was he would keep any force sensitives near him as that might be where they are safest. I really can't connect anyone who would leave Rey there that would make sense, unless her parents were complete randoms. Maybe Jedi's in Luke's new order on the run from the KOR and the Resistance? No clue.

4. IMightRegretThisUsername

IMightRegretThisUsername Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 19, 2016
    Was she dropped off, or was she already there and then abandoned? Do we know for sure?

5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015

In the beginning I figured that she was dropped off there, but now I am starting to wonder myself if she wasn't born there.

6. IMightRegretThisUsername

IMightRegretThisUsername Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 19, 2016

Yeah, I thought this, because in her vision, young Rey is wearing grungy clothes that seem to be from a poor circumstance. It would fit the quality of living on the planet.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  7. aussiemuscle308

aussiemuscle308 Jedi Master

Sep 20, 2005
    they why was Rey calling for him to come back/don't leave me?

I'm sure the Falcon was payment for Plutt to look after Rey. Han Solo was told it was "stolen"

Darth Smurf likes this.
  8. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Assuming Rey is a Sky-Solo or connected to Luke's new order in some way, I lean towards Kylo.

1) If he had already turned to the Dark Side at the time of Rey's abandonment, then it would be consistent with his characterization in TFA for him to avoid killing her, just as he seemed to want to avoid having to kill his father. (Also, note that when Han tells Finn and Rey about Luke leaving -- "one boy, an apprentice, destroyed it all." Maybe it's just that Han will always see his son as a "boy" but it could imply that Ben was quite young when he began to betray Luke.)

2) It explains his immediate and continuing interest in "the girl" on Jakku who helped BB8 and Finn escape on the Falcon. Kylo may be a hot head but IMO his reaction to first being told about Rey is still suspiciously over the top.

3) It makes his somewhat questionable decision to capture Rey and leave BB8 behind a bit more understandable: he may have become a bit too focused on Rey and his desire to capture her to find out if she remembers him (he would need to contain this situation ASAP before the truth is revealed to Snoke). This would also give Kylo an additional incentive to remove his mask in front of Rey when he interrogates her.

I'm not ruling anyone out at this point though.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  9. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    This will probably be the thread that will remain open for the longest time on this forum. Rey´s parentage will most likely be revealed in VIII, but hiw she ended up on Jakku will probably be kept a secret until IX comes and her entire back story is revealed.

10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Yes and the entire story I imagine will continue to get told for the next five to ten years. There will be books, comics, possible animation projects filling us in on her entire time on Jakku. Plus they will tell us where she was born and likely give us a lengthy backstory on her parents (her mother if her dad does end up being Luke).

11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    He had not. Six years or so before TFA he was still with Luke and he did not know his ancestry at that point. Rey is nineteen so Kylo would have had to drop her off on Jakku during her early teens which is obviously not the case.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  12. Darth Mason

Darth Mason Jedi Padawan

Jan 18, 2016

I like your theories but the third one raises a question mark for me. After Rey uses Kylos interrogation techniques against him kylo
    Goes and tells snoke about it/her. If he were trying to conceal her he wouldn't do this
    Would he? Just a thought..

13. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    That's a good point. I think it's fine that he admitted he had captured her and was trying to interrogate her since he probably wasn't going to be able to hide that anyway, but he also revealed that she was strong in the Force which seems like a questionable thing to do in this scenario.

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm really looking forward to reading Empire's End here in a few weeks. I think that will give us some clues as to why Rey may have been left on Jakku. We obviously won't know who dropped her off until the movies come out but the final Aftermath book could make the senseless act of dropping a six year old kid onto a desert planet make a little more sense.

15. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i think i've maybe decided for good that it just can't be luke. i just can't see it. i was reading through this thread yesterday and agreed entirely with the posts saying the same. there's just no way...

Dra--- likes this.
  16. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah, it is quite seems out of qustion that Luke left her there, but we heard of an emotional injury for Rey in VIII. What if it's this revelation? So the question would be why would Luke leave her there (if she is either related or unrelated)? A big topic and often the beginning of trouble are visions and misreading of visions. So what if Luke had a vision years ago? So maybe a vision Rey was either in danger or the one causing the tragedy. So he brought her there? Or it was a friend of him who brought her there. Maybe it was thought to bring her to the Church of the Force guys who live there and this went wrong. [face_dunno]

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    it was actually Luke, Han, and Leia who left her there.
    it was all some game, they kidnapped children and left them on different planets, that was the last time the OT3 were together.

the reason Han left is because the guilt caught up to him.
    Luke recognized Rey as one of the children he took and was like "Crap, she found me...." end credits.:p

18. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    you cracked the storyline. ^:)^

starocean90 likes this.
  19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    the purpose of the game is that they kidnapped the "Children of the force" and waited to see which one will be led to them by the force. And Rey is the winner.:p

20. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    a show called 'Galaxy's next top force sensitive'. :p

21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Hosted by Ex Grand Jedi Master Luke Skywalker!!!!

as Luke approaches Rey to take the saber. He cracks up and points Rey towards the camera crew filming them and there you see RJ and company.
    "Well Rey since you are the first contestant to arrive at Paradise Island, let the game begin.":p

22. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    so we already saw actual real footage with the clip from starting of filming. There was Rian with the camera. :eek:

Baron_Papanerd and starocean90 like this.
  23. Tycalibur

Tycalibur Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 26, 2001
    "Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back. But there's someone who still could."

Before I toss my own opinion out there, did this ridiculously contradictory statement by Maz bother anyone else? (further exacerbated by Rey's reply... 'Luke.') I think there was more in that dialogue than there was supposed to be and it got edited (somewhat poorly) down to that.

I'm in favor of a mind wipe, but not of Kylo's doing - I don't think Kylo was skilled enough. He couldn't even beat her in a mental challenge.

If anyone mind wiped her it was Luke. But who left her there? Might not matter, in the end.

24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Totally agree, it was clunky to say the least.

25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    There is more to that dialogue than what is shown in TFA. You should read the novel if you get the chance.