main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who else absolutely HATES it when star wars is considered Sci Fi??

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by CuppaJoe, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    it feels corny, and more...should i say it...more star trek like, because when people think of Sci Fi they think of star trek, space, technology, and in most of those kind of movies, that's what it's about, in star wars they don't take the time to discuss everything about the technology, it's like "the falcon is the fastest ship in the galaxy" and that's it, they don't give every detail. That's why i like star wars, more because of the mythology, and i think it's more of a fantasy story.

edit/ discuss this in the thread in the Saga forum instead (linked by Spike_Spiegel)

2. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    I don't hate it, but Star Wars isn't SciFi, even though the name sounds SciFi. I thought it was before I found what Star Wars really is.

3. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Agreed, Star Wars is more mythology.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I hate it too. I don't really like full blown SciFi so I always have to correct people that SW is a Space Opera, a mythical saga, not SF

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I also dislikes when SW is called sci-fi, mostly because I can't stand sci-fi. I really like the term space opera when I'm talking sw.

6. JangoFett316

JangoFett316 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    Star Wars is definitely a mythology. But it does have some sci-fi aspects to it. One of the reasons I enjoy it so much is that every single thing can be explained logically. Perhaps not in the films themselves, but technical guides and novels and the like serve that purpose.

7. obiwan122586

obiwan122586 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2003
    And besides, as far as I know, Star Wars hasn't been shown on the Sci-Fi channel, so it can't be Sci-Fi. ;)

8. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I wouldn't say Star Wars is completely devoid of any Sci-Fi elements.

It has:
    Robots
    Laser guns
    Energy Swords
    Space Ships

Star Wars defintiely does have sci-fi in it. But then...worrying about what genre someone else puts a SW in is pretty foolish and petty if you ask me.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Star Wars is a myth set in a sci-fi environment.

There are Sci-Fi elements to the story of course, but on a whole, I consider it to be mythic or fantasy more than Sci-Fi.

I do tend to roll my eyes if people just think of it as Sci-Fi though. Even worse are those who call it Star Trek w/o realizing there is a difference :mad:

10. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
  11. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    It doesn't bother me at all as I would probably consider it as Sci-Fi myself.

12. okhowisthis

okhowisthis Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2003
    same with me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.