main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who else here thinks that midi-chlorians was a real dumb idea(no offense to Lucas)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Anakin_1984, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin_1984

Anakin_1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2001
    Exactly as it says plus, it is never mentioned in the first trilogy or in any of the books except for Episode 1 that I know of.

2. ANIandAMIDALA4EVER

ANIandAMIDALA4EVER Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    From what i hear they aren't really mentioned anymore in the SW movies.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Your trying to explain an advanced scientiffic concept to a nine year old child on what the Jedi have identified as the Method the Force is transmitted and controlled by human beings.

In effect the scientiffic way miracles and God intervene.

How else would it be done?

And this has no place in the Literature forum, I'm sorry go to TPM

4. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Look little newbies...This isn't related to SW Literature. Take it to the TPM forum.

And it's old. Really.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Apparently according to George he never really wanted the Force to seem so mystical, so he tried to make it more scientific. Hogwash. If he didn't want the whole mysticism thing, which I think is what gave the Force its appeal in the first place, he wouldn't've talked so much about surrounding, penetrating, binding together controlling and controlled, yada yada.

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    If they proved God existed tommorow with science would he be any less mystical? It's believable with 25,000 years of time

7. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    Well, we could relate this to SW literature. Think about it. Aren't the Yuuzhan Vong invisible to the Force because they're from a different galaxy, and didn't eveolve midichlorians as such? Somebody tell me the answer!

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    That wouldn't make sense.

The Midi-clorines are just how life communicates with the Force and the building blocks of it.

Even the Yllasamari have Midi-cloreines and they are not present in the force.

9. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    Who says the ysalamiri have midichlorians? Anyway, the Yuuzhan Vong and their shapings obviously don't communicate with the Force, or else they could be sensed in it, so your little point there seems kind of unsubstantiated to me.

10. Corran_Flyboy

Corran_Flyboy Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2001
    First a question: charlemagne how do we know the yllasamari have midi-clorines.

Second: How could such a basic piece of information about identifying jedi be completely lost? I know Luke searched for ways to ID Jedi potentials in the JAT. Wouldn't you think they would of discovered if a blood test could ID them?

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    1:)

"...without them life could not exist"

Is a pretty fair statement. Also again it doesn't matter if the midi-clorienes exist in Yllasamari or the Vong, the Force could still effect them if not for other factors.

For instance there are no Midi-clorines in Rocks are their? Hence people seemingly missing it's just the Force's communication with living entities.

The Vong if they lacked Midi's might have their evil explained (unable to hear the Lightside) but nothing more.

2:)

Two ways...

A:) It's A Jedi Secret

I doubt the Jedi like having their DNA in depth analyzed.

B:) Even if Luke knows about it what use is it?

I mean no offense while doctors might be wiling to turn over any records they have regarding unusual midi-cloreine counts to Jedi in the Old Republic I'm sure the practice was stamped out in the Empire.

and can you imagine Luke asking Borsk to have medical societies give him the galaxy's blood records?

12. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

How could it be lost? Simple, Lucas never thought about it until he wrote Phantom Menace. I have always felt that what makes one person capable of being a Jedi and another person not, is that there is just something 'special' about that person, nothing more. There is no genetic reason save that if you come from a family that has a strong relation to the Force, then you are likely to as well. I didn't need nor want it quantified by micro-organisms. And no, don't take it to the Phantom Menace forum, I'd like to save you that hardship. Just leave it here and let it die.

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well if you neither want or need it quantified that's your beef not mine.

So Luke and Leia have a genetic heritage to be close to the Force so what, it's like comming from a religious family

eh

14. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    oh god, I just got midi-chlorians all confused with mitochondria.....everything in my head is a mess right now.

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I have always been of the opinion ever since I first learned of the midi-chlorian thing that Lucas invented them to shut up one really stupid question. "Why is it some folks can use the Force and others can't?" I picture Lucas in the following discussion:

Lucas: Look, it's mystical, no one really understands why it happens. It's like trying to understand why some people have psychic powers or why others can see ghost. We really don't understand why it happens, but it does.

Fan: Yeah, I get it's mystic, but why is it that some folks can use the Force and others can't?

Lucas: I already told you, it's mystic and no one really understands.

Fan: Yeah, I know. But why is it?

Lucas: (sighing as he begins to see this fan isn't getting it) I've already told you and you've already said you understand. It's mystical. The Force is a mystical energy field and for reasons no one understands, some folks are gifted so that they can use it.

Fan: Oh, ok. So some folks are gifted and no one understands why.

Lucas: Yes, that's right.

Fan: Ok, I get it. But why are some folks gifted so that they can use the Force and other's aren't so lucky?

Lucas throws up his hands and leaves, realizing that this fan doesn't get it.

After nearly twenty years of this constant questioning Lucas decides to explain things in a different way so that folks stop asking why some can use the Force and others can't. So he takes a scientific approach and creates midi-chlorians. Now he's throwing up his hands when it becomes obvious that the fan doesn't understand why some folks have a midi-chlorian count high enough for them to use the Force and others don't.

16. Corran_Flyboy

Corran_Flyboy Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2001
    "What use would it be"?

If Luke knew about midi-chlorians, it could explain something about the Vong. Humor me for a moment. If the YV don't have MC, then it might explain why they can't be felt in the force by the Jedi. It could be linked to Anakin's theory about there being something larger. Maybe Jedi can only feel the force as seen by MC. Then the YV could be in the force but not seen because of no MC. Kinda like the MC are a middleman to the force. The YV could have no middlman or some other kind? So, If i were Luke and knew about the MC the first thing I would do is see if the YV had any MC. Thanks for humoring me.

17. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Like Yoda said the Force is everywhere, and it remains a mystical power, even with the creation of the midichlorians. Those only allows the Force-users to tap into it, that's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.