main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA who felt that one?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by vkyoshi, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    We felt it at Disneyland. They had to stop the monorail to check the track & supports

2. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I suppose it is a pain in a way cause I suppose when you have an earthquake that you need to check the safety of certain things like you said at disneyland.

3. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Didn't think to check anything. But nothing fell...and in our house that's a miracle! So I think we're OK.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    So what do you think the odds are of me experiencing my first earthquake next month??

100 to 1. We only get a good shake every few years. :(

And if we get one at all, you probably won't even feel it. :p

5. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    or the exact oppisite will happend, it's be like a 3.2 and he'll panic. My uncle did after his first quake. Funny for Californians, not so much for people from Oklahoma.

6. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    "Earthquakes are to a girl's guitar, it's just another good vibration" - RHCP.

it was a wake-up and go back to bed earthquake. made the windows rattle. whitney's brother's first quake. our roommate's second quake.

7. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Chile just had a big quake... :(

8. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    yawn... first quake while in a high-rise...
    very quiet swaying.

9. Resilient

Resilient Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2003
    The one an hour ago woke me up like the last one. I needed that nap after finals dang it. >/ But at least the fault lines are letting off steam and not penting everything up.

10. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I didn't feel the quake up in L.A. :(

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    The IE just had one. Yucaipa got a 5.3 and like 21 smaller quakes.

And at the same time, Kernville had 2 big ones as did Alaska.

So yeah, California's gonna break off and go chill with Hawaii, eh? ;)

12. Resilient

Resilient Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2003
    Alaska can come too.

13. me-gonk

Jan 17, 2003
    I was sitting at my sewing machine pinning things when I noticed the glass cabinets rattling and felt the floor shake.
    My mom didn't feel it, she was walking up the stairs at the same time. Ewan didn't care and Gavin was jumping on the bed..so he didn't know.
    This is quite a few shakes. I have to agree, have lots of small ones instead of one huge one.

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    DUDE......

Map

15. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Jedi Youngling star 2

May 7, 2002
    Hopefully these recent quakes are releasing tension and preventing the dreaded "big one", or at least preventing it in our lifetime. I remember pretty scary predictions in the past decades. Half expected it to have happened by now. Hopefully San Diego will fare better then the rest of Cali if the San Andreas goes. And yes I know about our very own "dormant" fault that goes right through La Jolla and Downtown.
    Spooky. Stay asleep fault, stay asleep.

Any experts have any insight? or is it all crystal ball gazing?

16. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Actually they just had someone on the news who explained that Sunday's quake and today's quake where moving two faults into something that looks like a tuning fork shape, and because of the way the faults were moving and rubbing against each other, there is a possibility of something much much bigger coming off of the San Andreas. He said it was only a possibility.

17. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    There was one today? I didn't feel anything today at all. Of course I was gone all day until now.

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    It was up in San Bernadino, Linda. I would have been surprised if you felt it.

19. jess_squared

jess_squared Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    The only ones that really would have been felt are the 5.2, 3.5, and maybe the 2.9 today. There have been tons of little ones all around that same Yucaipa area. USGS says that typically a shallow quake will produce a ton of small aftershocks, which is what looks like today has been. They also said the 5.2 was probably triggered from the quake on Sunday.

And we're not going to break off into the ocean, Rachel. More like.. San Francisco and LA will be next door neighbors instead. Heh.

Go here to see a textual list of all the quakes that have been happening. A little easier, but not as dramatic, as the map to interpret the size of each one.

20. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Hey! Then I could definitely come to your meetings!

:D

21. me-gonk

Jan 17, 2003
    Whee!
    I felt the one on Thursday, June 16, 2005 at 10:22:59 PM. It was a whopping 1.3. Felt like the house got bumped. I was putting Ewan to sleep. You can definately feel them more upstairs. That's so sad that I'm noticing the really small ones now too.

22. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
  23. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    "That?s great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane....

24. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    "its the end of the world as we know it... and I feel fine" hehe

25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    The second I see a giant wave of birds and snakes, I'm outta here. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.