main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who gave the best performance in the PT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BabaORileyFett, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. point5pastlightspeed

point5pastlightspeed Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    I would have to say Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid.

2. raged_inferno

raged_inferno Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    it's either ewan and ian

3. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    the 10,000+ replies of "The Fantastic Ian McDermid" thread seem to make Ian the King right now.

4. LukeCloudjogger

LukeCloudjogger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, and Ian McDiarmid all gave great performances.

Samuel L. Jackson was also quite good.

5. PadmesDaughter

PadmesDaughter Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Ewan MacGregor over all, but McDiarmid was amazing in ROTS and Hayden Christensen really deserves props for a go-for-broke original performance.

And a shout out to Frank Oz too.

6. Drumstick

Drumstick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2004
    I'm going to go with Ewan... for ROTS alone.

Ian was really good in the first two movies, and excellent as Palps in EP III, but once he became Sidious his role sort of devolved into a horror movie stereotype. The emperor was much creepier in ROTJ.

Something I never could understand was that the first time through each of the movies, Sam Jackson bugged me a lot, but the second time I really appreciated his acting talent/style. Wierd. I guess I liked him as well, overall.

7. thegoldeneel

thegoldeneel Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    I hate how his voice goes all exorcist when he turns to Sidious. It does not make sense. I think Natalie is the best forever. The way she uses no emotion takes a lot of talent.

PT is better than OT.

8. POTAStar

POTAStar Jedi Master star 2

May 26, 2001
    Best Performace Goes To:
    ------------------------

1.) Jake Lloyd

:)

Honestly, though, Ian McDiarmid and Liam Neeson gave extroadinary performances.

Natalie Portman also really convinced with her role. She was so much better in TPM than AOTC and ROTS.

9. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    I loved Christopher Lee's acting in RotS. I love the look on his face when Palpatine says to Anakin, "Kill him."

Best Supporting Actor nomination he deserves, yes.

10. TheBailOrganaCoupe

TheBailOrganaCoupe Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    You have to be kidding yourself if you think that Hayden Christiensen was good AT ALL in II or III. He stunk it up big time. He was a little better in III but still cringeworthy. Lucas has plucked some poor ones in the past, but Hayden takes the cake. As far as good acting goes, there is a lot of that too. I concur with the general opinions. Liam was very good in his limited role. Ewan handled the echoing of Sir Alec very well and Ian is just a genius. Pure genius. "The Fooorrrcceee is strong in you!" Of note: Sam Jackson was pretty stiff, nothing notable there. Portman has done much much better for herself and I imagine having Hayden to act with did nothing for her.

TheBailOrganaCoupe

11. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I hope whoever mentioned Watto wasn't joking, along with Neeson's Qui-Gon Jinn, McGregor's Obi-Wan & McDiarmid's Palpatine, Watto is one of the most fully rounded & best performed characters in the PT...He's fantastic in the scene in AOTC where Anakin goes back to the junkshop to look for Shmi..."Annie?...little Annie?, Naaah!" :)

12. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Overall, I'd go for Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor. Hayden Christensen did a great job in ROTS, although I didn't really fancy his performance in AotC very much.

13. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    Just acting on ROTS, it would go to Ian McDiarmond. His performance was by far the best there. In regards to the other two films, I would probably have to give it to McGregor (as well as for ROTS), for all the reasons everyone else has said...

I'm guessing everyone who said Jake was joking, but still I didn't think he did that bad a job. He was meant to be an eight year old, after all!

In my opinion, Hayden did a good job in Episode three. He was very convincing in the hundred times he said "I have restored peace and justice to the galaxy" - making me at any rate believe that he meant them. However he did not do so well in Episode Two.

14. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Ewan McGregor, easily. Though I felt his performance in AotC was his strongest.

15. RogueBoga1138

RogueBoga1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    Ewan Mcgregor in ROTS by far! Especially in that " YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE" speech, and in the pre-duel conversation with Lord Vader.

16. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Ian and Ewan = tied. Both nailed everything.

Natalie nailed ROTS and did pretty darn good in TPM.

17. lord_VaDER-_-

lord_VaDER-_- Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    evryon keeps saying ian o ian. well imo he wasnt the best. he was alright but there was no way he captured his character as well as neeson or ewan even hayden did A better job i thought

but finnally the best performance of PT is.......

1: EWAN & HAYDEN

2: LIAM NEESON

3: NATALIE PORTMAN

P.S. natalie portman is relly hott

18. HylianHero

HylianHero Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    Best performance, without a doubt is Ewan McGregor. He was the only actor who ever made me feel like he actually cared (well Ian was good too.) Ewan was just so emotional.

19. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    I don't think any of the performances are worth shouting about. If i had to pick the best, it'd be Ewan comfortably, with special note given to Ian.

The thing is, i get the impression when i analyze it that we have some absolutely incredible acting power -

- Ewan McGregor
    - Ian McDiarmid
    - Liam Neeson
    - Christopher Lee
    - Samuel L Jackson

To name some of the best overall actors who have a part in the entire saga, who are wasted in their roles for whatever reason, be it struggling with blue/green/purplescreen, not having many lines, having poor plotting, or simply not taking it seriously. I blame a lot on direction, but i'm not going to out and out attack Lucas. He delivered story, and that's what he does, oh so well! But i do believe that, if you take a look at the films, and then at the actors in the above list, you must see that none of them are at the top of their game.

Compare RotS with Trainspotting
    Compare RotS with A McDiarmid Macbeth
    Compare TPM with Schindler's List
    Compare RotS with Pulp Fiction
    Compare AotC with... well, take you pick of the eight decades of Christopher Lee films.

Maybe i'm being unfair, but i believe something failed to click at some point.

20. FifthDynasty

FifthDynasty Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2005
    Ewan McGregor is the obvious winner here. He transformed the character Obi-Wan Kenobi into something so strong. Obi-Wan Kenobi didn't really do much in ANH, but after seeing the Prequel Trilogy, ANH has so much more meaning to it now because of Ewan's making Obi-Wan a great character. And in Revenge of the Sith you can easily see Ewan McGregor turning into Alec Guiness. Overall, Ewan was flawless in each film.

21. am-pm

am-pm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    Ewan McGregor, definitely.

He had a tough role because it was going to be up for comparison with Sir Alec Guiness...and he nailed it.

I liked Hayden in Revenge of the Sith...whoever mentioned that "I hate you" line, that got to me too. Chilling.

22. FifthDynasty

FifthDynasty Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2005
    Wow...I forgot about Frank Oz! HOW COULD I! Frank Oz pulled Yoda off flawlessly in the last two films (I mean his lines since he wasn't a puppet).

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ian, Liam, Hayden, and Christopher Lee all deserve notable mentions I believe. But Ewan cleans up overall. He's the only one saddled with the burden of having to live up to being an established character previously played by one of the greatest actors of all time, and he *still* managed to put forth the most impressive performances of the films. The man never ceases to amaze me.

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    Ewan. Folowed closely by Ian.

25. Lord_Maul_the_Sith

Lord_Maul_the_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2005
    Ewan McGregor epitomized Obi-Wan Kenobi. He took Sir Guinness's portrayal and added his own self to the character, to truly magical effect. He was awesome. He gets number one in the Prequels in my book.

Ian McDiarmid didn't have much to do other than look slightly mischeivious in TPM and AOTC (anyone else catch that barest hint of a smirk in TPM? I was like, "Oh, man, that's cool, he's already planning his march to the top.") It wasn't till ROTS that we saw the Palpatine we all fell in love with in ROTJ.

Ever since "The Professional", I've always been a Natalie Portman fan. She did really well, considering some of the dialogue she was given. I think she's truly gifted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.