main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Who had the best acting performance in the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by AstroDroid88, Feb 16, 2016.

?

Who had the best acting performance in the OT?

1. Harrison Ford

22 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. Carrie Fischer

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Mark Hamill

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. James Earl Jones

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. Billy Dee Williams

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Anthony Daniels

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Ian McDarmid

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Alec Guinness

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  9. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Saw in this in the Prequel Trilogy area and wanted to bring it over here to the Original Trilogy. Who do you think had the best acting performance in the OT? I think I know who will be at the top but am looking forward to the feedback

2. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I'm so indecisive I can't vote on the poll :p . I'd say Alec Guinness, James Earl Jones, and Ian McDiarmid were the best IMO, although I've really come to appreciate Mark Hamill's portrayal of Luke's growth over the films as well. I'm not sure he gets as much praise as he should.

Chancellor Yoda and Jhawk117 like this.
  3. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    I'm right there with ya. They always remember Luke as the whiny "I want to go with my friends to pick up some power converters at the Tosche station!" kid and not the young man that he became in RotJ. I too really liked Mark Hamill, never really had a problem with him

AshiusX likes this.
  4. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    Harrison Ford, without a doubt. Plays the laconic, cool character really well and doesn't miss a beat, and he handles the changes in the character well (I thought he was great in TFA, as well). Not at all surprised he went on to have the career he did.
    Alec Guiness was very good, with the assured english delivery fitting well with his wise character and serious but easy-going manner.
    Mark Hamill I think was best in the first film, although he drops a couple of line. I thought he was least convincing when playing a more mature character, although he still did well. The deeper voice seemed quite unnatural.
    Carrie Fisher (not Fischer, OP) was also best in the first film, as a strong, self contained, shouty type, with her strong voice, and that is despite the weird british accent that pops up early on. Again later on the love dialogue was just not as convincing.
    Anthony Daniels played C-3PO to perfection, but the antics do become a bit annoying (although that's a writing thing)
    I don't think any of the others had a big enough visual role to really impress me, and of course Darth Vader is two people.

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I can't go past Harrison Ford. Love him.

6. Pax12

Pax12 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 14, 2015
    Definitely Harrison Ford. He played the arc from a selfish smuggler to a selfless Republic Commander really well. His famous line "I know" was incredibly delivered.

7. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I thought Harrison Ford did a better job than Mark Hamill or Carrie Fisher. The rest didn't have a big enough part to be considered really.

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I voted for Mark Hamill. He brings something different to Luke in every film.

9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Harrison Ford for the first 2. Probably Ian McDiarmid for Jedi.

10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Either Harrison Ford or Ian McDiarmid. Both fantastic actors.

11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Harrison Ford or James Earl Jones for me.

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    David Prowse was another great performance.

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Jakes Earl Jones. From the deel voice to the tone to the dialogue, an iconic performance.

14. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Ford. But I thought everyone else was great too.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    ANH = Alec Guiness
    ESB = Frank Oz
    ROTJ = Mark Hamill

Overall is James Earl Jones

AshiusX and Lt. Hija like this.
  16. MoonFyre

MoonFyre Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2016
    They're all good but Harrison Ford steals every scene he's in.

17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Across all 3 movies I'd say Harrison Ford, though I think Guinness and Cushing have the best performances in ANH.

18. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Big James or Ian.

I went for Ian, cause he's just so so good in RotJ, So Menacing even though he's small in stature, the way he delivers his lines is awesome!

19. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    First, two spelling corrections:

Carrie Fisher
    Ian McDiarmid

Second, my vote:

Mark Hamill

20. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Frank Oz gets my vote.

Chancellor Yoda and Avnar like this.
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Hard to decide, but I think Mark Hamill will ge my vote (I'll think about it before voting though).
    He really matures throughout the movies, and is believable in all stages of maturity. And he doesn't get enough credit for selling the Dagobah scenes - he is the anchor of reality that makes us believe Yoda and Artoo are real characters. A lesser actor wouldn't have given us that much sincerity while acting against a muppet whose lines he couldn't even hear.

22. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    Ford overall for sure

but i have a great respect for Mark Hamill, particularly for having the chops to make the scenes with Yoda in ESB work so well (though Frank Oz is probably just as deserving of the credit for that). He'll always have the "I am you father" scene as well, not a bad piece of cinematic legacy.

Chancellor Yoda and DavidSword79 like this.
  23. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Alec Guinness - genuine class (that's an anagram, BTW:p). It's the one of the earliest elements of the SW Saga which elevates it beyond mere sci-fi nonsense - restrained, yet powerful. Watch Lawrence of Arabia and compare Alec Guinness' performance to Omar Shariff's. They're rather different personalities, but not so different that the difference between their acting talent isn't screamingly apparent - being similar characters. Alec Guinness was a great actor, Omar Shariff was just a performer, much like Charlton Heston. A lesser actor would have had Obi-Wan confront Vader on the Death Star with a bit of silly bravado, a bunch of taunts and yells - Alec Guinness simply approached it as the old Jedi Knight really would have done so.

Mark Hamill gets a very close second place well above the rest, not just for his often under-rated portrayal of the hero of the overall story, but for the very difficult and unique solo work he performed with a puppet on ESB, creating cinema magic.
    The credit for Yoda might as well have read "Frank Oz and Mark Hamill" - brilliant though Frank Oz's work was, the character wouldn't have worked without Hamill's utterly convincing interaction with it. The magnificent romantic tension between Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher in ESB can proudly stand alongside many such other pairing of the Golden Era of Hollywood - but they had the benefit of each other to react to.
    All Mark Hamill had was the only human name on the callsheet for weeks, in a stinky studio set, with a weird variation upon Miss Piggy to react to. And they pulled it off. Genius.

24. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Even more than that: Frak Oz only had a few days to work in Empire, so they shot all his material quickly.. (12 days, if I remember correctly).... and then Mark Hamill kept on shooting all the Dagobah scenes without Oz or any other actor to help him!

25. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    There is only one answer: Ackbar.

AshiusX and Chancellor Yoda like this.