main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who has done a better job capturing the feel of Star Wars in card games?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by SithDooku, Jul 11, 2002.

?

Who has done a better job capturing the feel of Star Wars in card games?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. DECIPHER

67.2%
  2. WIZARDS OF THE COAST

32.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithDooku

SithDooku Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2002
  2. SithDooku

May 7, 2002
    Decipher gets my vote as of now. I hope that the SW:TCG will improve, and what I've read about Sith Rising, it should. But Decipher's great job with the Star Wars TCG will be very hard to match, and Young Jedi was even very enjoyable. I hated to see that Decipher lost a contract extention, but it has been fun seeing a new form of game play using dice.

3. Blues

Blues Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2002
    I'll say that WOTC has my vote, for the simple reason that I like the battles most from the films (call me shallow if you will) and the TCG is all about the battles.

Played CCG since it's release - great game, good feel but a little too much thinking involved.

The TCG is a great game but doesn't involve quite as much headwork to enjoy, which I feel is the main point of the game - enjoyment.

4. rfuthey

rfuthey Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2002
    SWTCG gets my vote. I feel that the movies are fairly straightforward movies about fightin'. That is captured rather well, in Wizard's game.

5. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Well, here's the moron's opinion:

WOTC took the Star Wars model (namely having two or more storylines going at once) and took it to it's lowest common denominator... or to it's simplest form. In doing that, however, they watered Star Wars down. Insted of having three storylines with epic battles and struggling objectives, there is just three fights going on. They are in no way connected (unless you count the 'bombard' and 'ion cannon' rules). There is a lot of room for improvement.

Decipher's style allows you to have multiple storylines within a single game, and yet have a uniformity about it. It's all one game, but the way you play affects whether or not the game feels like Star Wars. SW:CCG allows the players to have freedom to roam the Star Wars galaxy, and the only boundries are what cards are at your disposal. Unlike the TCG, you can put Obi-Wan up against an AT-AT, or have an X-Wing attack Darth Vader.

So, ultimatly I choose SW:CCG!

6. StormChewieJedi

StormChewieJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2002
    I haven't really played enough of the Wizards game, so I voted for Decipher, because I've been playing since '97. I will, however, continue to play the Wizards game, and continue with Decipher as well, as they are both fun games.

7. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Up... this is actually a good, thought-provoking question/poll.

8. SithDooku

May 7, 2002
    Up Up all of you!!!

9. Castin_Lah

Castin_Lah Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2002
    I vote SWCCG.
    The quote from Obi-Wan seems to sum up the game.

"Not as clumsy or random as a blaster, a weapon of a more cicilized age."

I think that the TCG is just randomized fights using dice to determine the outcome.
    On the other hand, you have the CCG, which requires tracking, destiny adders, limiters, and modifiers.

This is the reason for my sticking with SWCCG.

10. Sithlord119

Sithlord119 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    SW CCG from Decipher as Star Wars was always about more than battles.

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Star Wars CCG is like chess. Star Wars TCG is like chess where you throw rocks at each other's pieces to see who can knock them over first.

12. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    Very nicely worded, Bib. In fact, I described the CCG as a chess-like game to a friend who I'm trying to make into a full-time player. It has helped thus far, as he is a chess player.

13. SithDooku

May 7, 2002
    That is one way to look at it I guesse. It still bugs me that the TCG is based on the luck of a dice roll.

14. DarksiderGeorge

DarksiderGeorge Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2002
    Decipher has the feel of Star Wars down pat!! The game itself could have 2 dozen Star Wars locations just in one game! It is definitely a thinking mans game. The CCG is even humorous at the same time as being entertaining and immersive.

We could only hope that someday Decipher could get the license back!!! :D

15. Lord_Sith_Nut

Lord_Sith_Nut Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2002
    To be straight-forwardly honest, there is NO PLACE in Central PA [Hummelstown, Harrisburg, Hershey, ie. basically Dauphin County] that plays SWTCG.

I have attempted to play the game. It is HORRIBLE. Simply HORRIBLE and there is nothing really else to put it as.

There is about 5% strategy. I will list the strategy value of other games to compare.

SWCCG: 100%
    L5R [Pre Gold]: 90%
    L5R [Post Gold]: 65%
    Magic: 60%
    Raw Deal: 55%
    Warlords: 40%
    Jedi Knights: 30%
    Young Jedi: 12%
    Austin Powers: 8%
    SWTCG: 5% [if that]

That basically sums it all up right there.

16. SithDooku

May 7, 2002
    I never really though of the TCG as Horrable, I still think it a good game if you want to play quickly... But you are Right it is about 5% strategy, and 95% luck...I little to imballenced for me. If WOTC decides to put Weapon card into the game it would make it mor injoyable and put in some more thinking.

17. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    My vote is definitely for the CCG. I think you guys are being a little rough on the TCG with the "5%" strategy thing. Deckbuilding always involves strategy, and there is also the question of whether to tap some cards (if they have a special ability that does so), or attack with them. There is also the strategy of "do I attack the cards with 12 damage left, or do I try to wipe out the weenies. Maybe that's onl;y 10% strategy, but it's more than 5%

I think if you've only played the starters it would be 5%

18. rfuthey

rfuthey Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2002
    I love how people complain about TCG not having only strategy when it only has one set out with no expansions. Maybe it will have a more depth when it has 15 expansions like CCG.

Don't compare apples and oranges, and don't call something stupid just because your company lost it's license.

19. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Anyone that says SWTCG has only 5% strategy is kidding themselves or they know nothing about the game.

I couldn't say an exact percentage, but there is at least 25-40% strategy in it, if not more. And there will be even more when the new sets come out.

Dice adds randomness, but a skillplayer with a good strategy and a good well thought out deck can overcome it. Don't believe me? Play me a few games.

And in my town the game is taking off like wildfire. The lady at my local card shop said her phone has been ringing off the hook asking about Sith Rising. I asked her about the game 3 months ago and she had no clue what I was talking about. Now she has taken notice of it and was PO'd that one of the card stores here was already selling it a few days earlier. She started boasting that she was going to sell much more than them because her prices are so low. This kind of competition does not happen with a dead game.

People need to start facing the fact that no matter what they may feel about the license issue, or which game is more appealing to them, or which one felt like a movie in a box, SWTCG is a good game. While not everyone likes it (is there anything out there everyone likes?), it is liked by many, and will be here for a while. And no, it is not miserably falling flat on it's face.

Out of the 7 people I taught the game to and that actively play it and buy cards, ZERO of them get on the Net and chat about it. They just play.

20. _Zap_

_Zap_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    i have never played the wotc game since it uses dice i've stayed away from it(i get the worst dicerolls imaginable) but i think decipher did a good job capturing the feel of starwars with all the things you can do like pod racing and carbon freezeing
    however with all the people complaining about to much luck involved in the wotc game don't forget that there is a lot of luck involved in the sw movies and books

21. Doran

Doran Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2002
    Playing the CCG is as complicated as building a Star Destroyer from scratch all by yourself. I really think the TCG captures the feel of Star Wars very good and it's a lot of fun to play and it isn't th emost strategic of the Star Wars Card Games, but in my opioning it captures the feel best with it's space-ground-character system, and it's the funnest I've played.

22. Count_Doofus

Count_Doofus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    "The CCG is even humorous at the same time as being entertaining and immersive."

Yes, like drawing Pi (from Brainiac) as a battle destiny. :D

23. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    CCG, it captured the feel of star wars better than the tcg, mainly due to the layout of the game, the lore, info and humour it has built into the cards.

TCG may end up getting that level of immersion, but atm ccg has it

24. Darth_Raine

Darth_Raine Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2002
    Dice rule.

25. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Dice "captures the feel of Star Wars"? Not really.

"Dice rule"? In this game, yes. That's exactly why so many SW:CCG players don't like it. They want the cards to rule the game, not the dice....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.