main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Who has done/is doing/wants to do a FanFilm?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Renegade4E, Mar 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renegade4E

Renegade4E Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2002
    Ok, I'm a film student and I have been a Script/Writing moderator over at the FanFilmsForum since summertime so I have to ask.

Who has made, is making, or wants to make a Fan Film? Just curious.

2. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I want to make, but will not have time until after this semester is over.
    *sigh*

3. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I would love to do that! I've never had the opportunity (or the know-how) to do anything like a FanFilm.

4. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    OOH OOH!!! PICK ME!! I'VE MADE ONE!!! :D

If its still ok with Navaren I would like us all to watch mine at the next get-together.

I also wouldn't mind making another one. It would be fun. But like Spoo, I don't have too much time either.

5. Renegade4E

Mar 2, 2002
    http://yfilms.byu.edu/realms/SaberFight.mov

A rather bad little effects test I did with a friend about a year and a half ago...

My power has grown since then. Just imagine what I'm capable of now, LOL.

6. Renegade4E

Mar 2, 2002
    We'll all have to go in a corner and talk about this at the next get-together!

7. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    I did one that Mike let me upload to his site here. It's about 17 minutes, 48 megs.

It's not very good, because I was doing it for my high school's film festival my senior year and had to rush it in order to make the deadline for the festival.

I am currently writing scripts for a trilogy of three half hour episodes that I will do after my mission, probably durring college. I'm going to try to get into a good film course, so I could use some of the equipment on it.

8. Renegade4E

Mar 2, 2002
    We should all wear Jedi costumes and come to the next activity ready to battle. Then we can film it and put in the light saber glow and sound effects later!

Heh.

9. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    That would be fun for me because I have been wanting to do some lightsabers lately.

That may sound really weird, because we all know how much fun rotoscoping is. ;) But lately I've been trying to perfect my lightsaber look and I think I've got it extremely close. :cool:
    Now all I need is some real stuff to test it out on............

10. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    I and several friends are working on a fanfilm, Fanboy Zealots. Mike even brought over some stormtroopers for one of our scenes.

Hey, Toran-kal... if you want to practice lightsabre effects, we ALWAYS need rotoscopers for our fanfilm. ;)

I think I've also got a pretty cool lightsabre technique. If I only had some programming experience, I would be able to work out a more streamlined version.

11. allenj456

allenj456 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2002
    Hey Provo-no one is really doing anything in the SLC forum (where I currently am residing) so I am checking you out. Im a Film Student at the U as well as an actor with McCarty agency in SLC. Ive done multiple student films and a few of my own. I also have been a student of fencing and Medival sword training for over 5 years now. I taught fencing on a colligate level for about a year. I have a deep love for the Episode I battle sequences (even though I had some better ideas ! :) and love to choreograph fight scenes. I know all stages of film preperation and production including screenwriting (im in my 5th semester) and post production and editing (mainly on FCP 2 and Adobe 6) Interested? PM me or email at allenj456@aol.com I also have an extensive action figure collection and would love to have some sales/swaps ect. - Cheers

12. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    I have yet to be affiliated with an active fan film, but it could certainly be an experience. Toran, I'm still up for watching your fan film at the next activity, so be sure to bring it with you.

13. Renegade4E

Mar 2, 2002
    I think we need to devote at least an hour to choreographing a SHORT battle scene and filming it... (remember- the fight between Obi-Wan and Maul lasted only 45 seconds).

Heh yeah!

14. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    sweet, I'm in for the fight!

15. allenj456

Mar 8, 2002
    RE: "we need to devote an hour to..." In my experience with sword fighting and choreography, I'm afraid it will take many many hours to perfect something that will rival the Obi/Maul duel. Theres more to the fight than banging a couple of stick together- a story has to be told within the movements and the action- an actor still needs to remain in character while executing the most difficult manuver. So you might have to find many days to work this out. In a short film I did (not SW) there was a 13 second fight. From instruction to the final shot of it took nearly 3 1/2 hours and this was a hand to hand fight- no weapons. But I'm happy for the enthusiasm and would love to be comsidered for anything that might actually be done. --Cheers!

16. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    My friend Kris and I choreographed a couple seconds in just a couple minutes using what we learned from the Lightsaber Training night. We're going to do it on monday, with a bit of repetition, for English Class. It's for our memorization of the scene of the final duel in Macbeth.

It's not THAT time consuming, but if we want a relatiely long duel, we WILL need more than an hour.

17. darthshine

darthshine Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2001
    I made a fan film, Mike Handy helped on it with costumes, I just finished Post-Production all i have so far is a trailer, I just submitted it to the TFN theater, i hope it goes well with them.

You can view it HERE if you wish, it will have been the first screening with anyone practically.

The runtime is Approx. 2 min/7mb

Thanks to those who helped!
    - Paul Green
    www.shineboxmotionpictures.com

18. Renegade4E

Mar 2, 2002
    LOL! That was hilarious!

I want to agree that it takes many hours to make a fight as great as the Obi=Wan/Maul fight but a lot of us don't have that kind of time right now. So maybe we just make a quick-and-dity version that looks okay for fun?

19. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Paul,

Thanks for posting the trailer! I hadn't seen it until now.

Look great.

Later,

20. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Hey. Unfortunately, I wont do a fanfilm or help on one til after my mission as well probably. I turn 19 in December and all but I am a film student here at the Y and have learned how to rotoscope. I'll post of my tests in a bit but anyway, if anything is done in the next bit, I may be able to help.

Also, with regard to how realistic the fighting looks in little sequence really just depends on the choreography, but even more so on the ability of the ppl fighting to look real. If 2 people are hacking at each other well and in a realistic manner, not spinning their sabers around too much like in the Duality fanfilm, it'll look great I think.

But I have never done a fight so I may be just yaking, but Im betting this is the case.

21. allenj456

Mar 8, 2002
    thats true. Also the biggest problem with most fight scenes is that the people attack the blade. This is bad folks. You attack the person- that and the ideas of parry- riposte are almost absent from most Hollywood films. They did ok in EpI hopefully more so in II.

22. Inuyasha

Inuyasha Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    I've been doing Kendo, Tae Kwon Do and Karate for all my life. I've done choreography for several student films and I'd really love to do a Star Wars one. The problem for me is that I'm leaving on a mission in June so I don't have much time to work with you if I'm going to.

In one of the films I worked on we had a 1:17 fight with Katana blades, it took us about two months to get everything down well enough before filming.

If you want it to look good it DOES take a VERY long time. Like allenj456 said earlier, the characters have to stay in character and that is easier said than done some times. If your mild mannered character suddenly starts screaming war cries and hacking away without thought it's going to look really bad. Also, the fighting style of each character has to fit their personality. An agressive person has to have an agressive fighting style, drawing his weapon first, attacking first, going for the kill right from the beginning. A passive character will wait for someone else to attack first, wait for the right time to strike and try to disarm his opponent rather than kill him, yada yada yada. If you want it to look real it takes a good deal of time, planning and effort.

23. allenj456

Mar 8, 2002
    ditto on above :) now the question is: If a Samurai and a Highlander met...... :)

24. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    Hey, Cougar! Saw your test on the Fan Films Board. Pretty good.

25. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Hey thanks.

I appreciate it.

I think it looks good too... :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.