main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who has the best voice/accent/language in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ThisIsMe1138, Jun 29, 2018.

1. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Hi! Started this thread to see if anybody else besides me who actually takes the time to think about this? Non-Basic/English speaking characters count too.

What are your favorite accents, voices and/or languages in the Star Wars saga?

I love Bala-Tik's Scottish accent, young Obi-Wan and Queen Amidala's voices. I also like the Geonosian language.

What are yours?

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It means a lot to me. You know how most people talk about Star Wars "visuals"? Some people say they don't listen to a movie, it's not about the dialogue, they watch the movie, like a moving painting.

Well, I don't really visualize a movie as much as others, I hear it. I listen. Particularly to the voices and dialogue over the music. I've always been this way. I've never seen movies in my head, I've always heard them.

So.

JEJ Vader. Harrison's Solo. Billy's Lando. Chewie. Yoda. The Jawa language. Jabba's Huttese. The probe droid's language from ESB. Lapti Nek and Yub Nub. The Ewok language in general. The "eechuta" droid from ESB. Whatever Bib Fortuna spoke. Leia's Boussh voice. Brian Blessed's Boss Nass. Indeed I like Padme's Queenly voice from TPM. I loooove the Neimoidian's voices. I love the Roger Rogers of the B1s in TPM and AOTC. Morrison's Jango. I like the Geonosian language, too. And Wat Tambor. And Lee's Dooku. And movie Grievous. Oh and Boga the lizard. Love her voice. Padme's medical droids in ROTS.

It all stands out to me and I love it.

One thing I really loooooove about the OT is the anxiety-filled cockpit chatter. The PT and ST are missing this.

B3, Ava G., Jedi Knight Fett and 2 others like this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I like Tem Morrison a lot, and he was great as Jango. But give me Boba Fett's original voice. It made him sound scarier.

Avnar, Sarge, Chancellor Yoda and 4 others like this.
  4. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Wow! Love this answer!! I was a little nervous that no one else would reply but so happy to have other people that are fascinated by voices and sounds :D Have to say I agree with almost all of the ones you listed. Also love Cassian's accent and the language Jango speaks to young Boba (Mando'a?)

P.S. Am I the only one who literally falls on my knees when I hear a great voice. (Nevermind. I probably am:p)

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think I read in one of the AOTC books that Jango's words to Boba are Huttese. it basically means 'Close the closet door'.

Edit - found it. In the YA book Boba Fett: The Fight to Survive, in the meeting with Obi-Wan, there is the following: 'Boba, close the door', said Jango in Huttese, a language they both knew well. (In the hardcover, it's on page 28).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  6. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Cool! Thanks! (Did you look it up or did you actually just happen to have the book in your pocket or something?;)) And BTW - I'm pretty sure Bib Fortuna speaks Huttese too.

Do you have the Star Wars Visual Encyclopedia where it has the page of different languages/phrases and their translations? There's also Star Wars translator apps that are kind of like Google Translate for Star Wars languages. They're not totally accurate (probably because the languages aren't fully developed?) but kind of interesting.

Do you mean Boba's ESB voice? I like that one, too

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    SW bookshelves are in the hall - not far from the PC. I remembered it being in a novel. The YA Fett one was more accessible than the AOTC novel so I went there first. And I think your are right on Bib speaking Huttese.

8. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Yeah, for me Star Wars bookshelf is more like a pile on the edge of my bunkbed continued on the floor. Once I counted having 27 (I think) SW books on my bed at the same time (I re-read. A lot. :p)

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I have two bookshelves of SW books. However the collection has outgrown those. The more recent hardcovers are in the living room in several piles.

10. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    The Inner Core Elitist Accents of High Ranking Imperials

11. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Imperial officers' british accent

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Queen Amidala. The way she says "Senator Palpatine" almost sounds musical despite exuding a royal authority.

B3, Paparazzo and ThisIsMe1138 like this.
  13. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    To me her voice sounds cringy, almost robotic.

Avnar, Sarge, wobbits and 2 others like this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree with @LAJ_FETT Morrison just has such an amazing voice. I am actually okay/happy they replaced wingreen. Still loved wingreen’s preformance/voice.

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  15. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    I disagree, Dee Bradley Baker has the better flowing voice, even in background clone dialogue.

ThisIsMe1138 and Master_Rebado like this.
  16. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It's tough to beat Vader's voice.:vader:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  18. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    (sorry I don't know how to quote as one message)

I definitely agree that she does sound almost musical when she's speaking, especially in the Senator Palpatine line and "I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war." (I quote them all the time - randomly. People must think I'm crazy.) But there are also a few times where you kind of wish she'd talk more like a human. In her defense, though, she's the fourteen year old queen of an invaded planet ;)

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I loved her Queenly voice and wish it had shown up in AOTC and ROTS.

When I was walking out after seeing TPM in theaters I was pretty disappointed, but Padme's Queen voice was one of my favorite parts of the movie. The movie actually got off to a great start, I was loving those first few minutes. "Beware, Viceroy. The Federation has gone too far this time."

20. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I really like Obi-Wan's accent in Revenge of the Sith. It's like a mix of Scottish and British because Ewan was imitating Alec Guiness's voice.

Dream-Thinker and Shaak Ti like this.
  21. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    James Earl Jones
    /Thread

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Honestly I love the way Nute Gunray talks, which I know is a statement that can get me in trouble in some quarters, given its provenance as a faux-Thai accent. But I never thought it was supposed to be ridiculous or laugh-worthy, I just thought it was supposed to be different and interesting. I love the way he draws out the vowels in lines like "You know we would not do anything without the approval of the Senate." It's got the same charm as hearing Bela Lugosi pronounce his lines as Dracula in an exaggerated version of his natural Hungarian accent.

Mystery Roach, Sarge, B3 and 3 others like this.
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  24. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Hey, I love the way they talk too, @The_Phantom_Calamari ;) One of my favorite lines would have to be, "My lord, is that leeeeeeeegal?"

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  25. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I love the low menacing whisper of Darth Maul from TPM (not Sam Witwer)
    Pernilla August's accent
    James Earl Jones/ Vader
    Hayden's "You will try."
    Alden/Han speaking Shyriiwook
    Chewie
    Jawas UTINI!!!
    Leia's Boussh voice
    Ewoks- not singing
    Salacious Crumb's laughter
    The Nexu- that combination of a guttural purr plus a scream