main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who hates Asoka?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Wonderland, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonderland

Wonderland Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2008
    Personally, I think she's annoying. I saw the film version of Clone Wars on Saturday and her voice got on my nerves. I also have seen her in the t.v. series. She calls Artoo "Artoee" and Anakin "Skyguy". That not their names you dumb girl!!!!

Who thinks she's annoying also?

This thread has degenerated into another discussion about who is the most powerful villain. Therefore it is now locked. G_M :)

2. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    She's ok, as long as she dies in the series.[face_laugh]

3. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Right now, she's annoying, but I'm hoping her character will mature throughout the series and she respects those around her more(Anakin, Obi-Wan and etc.) Yes, right now, I dislike her character, but I'm going ot reserve my final judgment until towards the end of the series.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I found her annoying in the film as well but at least she isn't a whiny little brat. She did kick some butt, however, so that partially redeems her.

5. Subach

Subach Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2008
    Ashoka and an overdosage of droid silliness are the two things that bring down this otherwise solid show, imo.

6. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    She's not that bad however I do hope that they do something cool with her death. I am to assume she dies because Anakin has no apprentice in ROTS. Or maybe she hides out and then gets killed off in an EU story by Darth Vader.

7. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I love Ahsoka. Finally we get to see a leading character who is a female Jedi.

'bout freaking time.

Ahsoka's awesome.

She also kicks ass.

Did I mention she's awesome?

8. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    I like Ahsoka. It's fun to see a Jedi-besides Anakin and Qui-Gon-with little 'tude. Besides my kid loves her. I hope she survives the series and Order 66.

9. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I like Ahsoka. I don't like the Artooey thing but outside of that I think she's a great character for the show. Don't tell me Anakin is more interesting in this series so far.;)[face_whistling]

10. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    She's a Mary Sue with an annoying voice and personality.

11. cbrowns4812

cbrowns4812 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 27, 2005
    Mace Windu is a Mary Sue. Dooku is a Mary Sue. Good grief, General Grievous is a Mary Sue. They each have personalities with the depth of a puddle's surface tension, yet they're accepted as "awesome" characters. Ahsoka isn't the greatest character ever, but if we're going to give these other characters a pass, why don't we cut the teenage padawan a little slack?

12. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004

13. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    I don't like her, but I'm over it. The show is still awesome. Hopefully she'll be toned down more as the series goes on. She is already less annoying in the TV series than in the movie.

As for her destiny, I would love to see her frozen in carbonite by the show's end. (As a nod to the old-school Episode 3/Episodes 7-9 rumors.)

14. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Mace, Dooku, and Grevious aren't Mary Sue's. They aren't perfect. Ashoka, however, has been shown to be PERFECT. Girl Wish Fullfilment in everything. She's the one who points out things older, more experienced characters miss. In essence, she's the alien, female analogue to Wesley Crusher.

Mary Sue, sometimes shortened simply to Sue, is a pejorative term used to describe a fictional character who plays a major role in the plot and is particularly characterized by overly idealized and clichéd mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as wish-fulfillment fantasies for their authors. Perhaps the single underlying feature of all characters described as "Mary Sues" is that they are too ostentatious for the audience's taste, or that the author seems to favor the character too highly. The author may seem to push how exceptional and wonderful the "Mary Sue" character is on his or her audience, sometimes leading the audience to dislike or even resent the character fairly quickly; such a character could be described as an "author's pet".

While the term is generally limited to fan-created characters, and its most common usage today occurs within the fan fiction community or in reference to fan fiction, original characters in role-playing games or literary canon are also sometimes criticized as being "Mary Sues" or "canon Sues," if they dominate the spotlight or are too unrealistic or unlikely in other ways. Wesley Crusher[2] from Star Trek: The Next Generation is a well-known example

15. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    Michael Cohen, host of "Frontlines: The Clone Wars Podcast," predicts that Ahsoka may end up turning to the Dark Side. While it seems unlikely, at first, the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that this has a chance of becoming true. What do you all think?

16. TheGallifreianSith

TheGallifreianSith Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2008
    I doubt Lucas will go that route, and I honestly don't think she's going to die in the show. Something will happen to take her out of the equation before the segway into Episode III territory, to be sure. But I keep think she'll be sent away by Anakin, for whatever reason, and that gets her out of the line of fire when it comes to Order 66.

17. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    I think she's ok, even if here dialogue can get annoying. But since the clone wars spans over a few years, it would be nice to see her mature over the series. If she does infact die before Episode 3, it will be interesting to see how this comes about, and hopefully it will be in a brutal fashion and something that mentally messes up Anakin.

Some people also wonder what happens to Ventress as well, perhaps Ventress kills her and then Anakin in turn kills Ventress in a similar fashion Dooku. I thought I read somewhere someone suggest that Ashsoka somehow manages to discover who Palpatine really is on her own and that Palpatine savagely "silences" her - since pretty much everyone is not expecting to see Palpatine to use any force powers or fight prior to ROTS. This could also mess up Anakin as he'd never know what really happened to her apart from being teased by Dooku that she met her end somehow and by someone, hence fueling him to kill him in Ep3.

I generally look past her dialogue...the show is so much better than what some of us expected and it's lots of fun to watch.

18. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Funny, I was on my way over here to make this exact thread.

I have to take issue with this. Dooku is a Mary Sue with the personality the depth of a puddle's surface tension? Wow. No? Dooku has a large, dynamic backstory that illustrates why he is the way he is very well. He has emotions and is, in my personal opinion, one of the more complex and better characters in the prequel trilogy. How you can say he is a Mary Sue is boggling on so many levels. Read "Dark Rendezvous" and get back to me...

As for Asoka...wow, where do I begin?

I don't think I've been so annoyed with a character since Jar Jar Binks. The overwhelming sense of "girl power" from her is so stifling that I feel like Lucas & Co. are forcing the franchise on young girls. "Oh, not accustomed to guys with beards and laser swords, then here, have an annoying little girl who is independent!" No. Terrible. Her lines are awful, as is her overall banter with Skywalker. "Skyguy"? Is this really canon? I actually feel bad for Anakin for the second time in the entire prequel trilogy, except I don't think Lucas or the director intend for me to.

In my opinion, she's a terrible character; just a young upstart with a lot of spunk and a bad attitude, ala Anakin. I really cant stand that her ideas, though often shunned and discounted because she is so young, are always "the right answer". How is Anakin Skywalker, "The Hero of the Clone Wars", being given advice on tactical planning by Asoka? That goes double for the Clones; how is it that is she giving them advice on how to position and plan? Sure they blow it off, but in the end, they realize "wow, the girl was right!" That just grates on my nerves like nothing else.

Then there's the fact that she seems overly skilled with a lightsaber. Yes, she is shown to have mis-steps, as all Jedi are, but in the Clone Wars movie she was portrayed to be far too skilled for a Padawan, in my opinion. And in this image she appears to be going toe-to-toe with General Grievous!? I find this extremely hard to swallow, as in the Clone Wars mini-series, Grievous held...what? Five Jedi at bay? Including Aayla, Shaak Ti and Ki-Adi Mundi? And Asoka can just...lock blades with him? Get real, people.

*le sigh* Asoka is, and forever will be, the bane of the Clone Wars (right next to those annoying Battle Droids).

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    in the Clone Wars movie she was portrayed to be far too skilled for a Padawan, in my opinion.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/29/Obiwan.jpg/200px-Obiwan.jpg]
    :D

20. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    What did Obi-Wan do in The Phantom Menance that showed him as being far too skilled for a Padawan? He nearly got killed by Darth Maul... o_O

21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/5/58/Maulhalved-tpm4.jpg/487px-Maulhalved-tpm4.jpg]

22. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Considering that Maul was an Apprentice, which is the Sith equivalent of a Jedi Padawan, this is incorrect. Asoka goes up against General Grievous, who is an accomplished swordsman trained by Dooku himself. He has faced dozens of Jedi, and is superior to some of the master swordsmen of the Jedi, and is certainly not Padawan-level.

Maul and Kenobi during TPM are equal. Learner vs learner.

Asoka and Grievous during TCW are not equal. Learner vs master.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Grievous can't even use the Force. Calling him equivalent to a "master" is just silly.

24. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Actually, to be fair to Maul, he may be the apprentice in the relationship between himself and Sidious, but he's still a Dark Lord of the Sith. In any case, he beat an experienced and talented master in Qui-Gon just prior to faceing Obi-Wan. He's no chump.

25. Cloudy

Cloudy Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't think she's a particularly well done character. I get what they're trying to do with her and the chemistry she's supposed to have with Anakin, but partially through bad dialogue and partially through bad delivery, I don't think it's been done especially well. The Star Wars fan inside me cringed when she held up her lightsaber and went "I'm a jedi knight!" I'm pretty sure even padawans don't behave that way. She has that tendancy to be a bit annoying whether you're a Star Wars fan or not, so I don't really like her that much, and I feel like I'm being nice just leaving it at that (compared to what other people have said about her). She definately doesn't fit in the Star Wars universe we're all used to but Filoni's flamboyant versions of all the characters seem to accomodate her better. I thought she had one good moment though, and that was when she got smart to one of the clones and said, "if I'm a jedi then technically I outrank you, right?" Like she was gonna get cheeky and abuse that power or something (but again, not like a padawan in Lucas' Star Wars).

Greivous' skill seems to have been represented in a number of different ways. Obviously, the most official representation is his encounter with Obi-Wan in III, but in the miniseries he takes on several jedi, and now Ahsoka seems like she's supposed to be a worthy match for him. I'll go with Dave Filoni for once and just say that it's Star Wars from another perspective, so we can take it with a grain of salt and not have to worry about canon. It's their sort of third party spinoff version of the universe, and it means I can take and enjoy what I like without ever having to accept that Anakin somehow had a padawan during the Clone Wars. Or that he had an apprentice as Vader.

Well, learners with considerable lightsaber combat ability. Remember, Maul took down Qui-Gon, albeit with an unorthadox move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.