main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who hates Asoka?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Wonderland, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toxerre

toxerre Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2008
    I am quite enjoying the Clone Wars series ? it's far exceeded my expectations and I look forward to the episodes far more than I imagined I would. With that said, I must agree about Ahsoka.

Although the idea of Anakin having a padawan is initially jarring, I'm sure if it was handled well, I could get used to it. But at this point in time, it's not being handled well. Ahsoka's flaws are so minimized and her abilities so inflated that it's difficult to watch her with any feeling other than skepticism. I remember a scene in the previous episode where she pouted for a moment after being ignored. We as the viewer were supposed to be reminded that she is a padawan and still learning. But then she promptly offers the most sage advice in the heat of battle that ends up turning the tide and we're left with the uncomfortable feeling that she's better than all the experienced knights around her, including the 'Chosen One' and a Council Master.

In the episode before that, she inexplicably translates R2-D2's beeping for Anakin, even when it's been explained before that Anakin has a unique skill with droids in that he can understand binary. Even if you ignore that, Anakin owns R2 and has for some time ? it makes no sense given what we know of his character that he's going to look towards his padawan as a mediator between himself and a droid that we're led to believe he treats more like a friend than a piece of machinery.

Another moment that I found jarring is that suddenly Yoda seems anxious about the pairing of Anakin and Ahsoka, when it's implied that he set it up in the first place. Why would the wisest Jedi in the Order send a impetuous knight like Anakin an equally impetuous padawan... and then act surprised and worried when the two behave recklessly together?

Other examples have already been listed here: Ahsoka's bizarre skill with both the Force and a lightsaber, her unaccountable knowledge of military tactics fresh off a transport that put to shame the most experienced members of the Republic Military (and the Jedi Knights and Masters in charge of them), her 'spunky' and disrespectful attitude that seems absurdly out of place among the Jedi, etcetera, etcetera.

I understand the desire for a strong female presence on the show, and I welcome it. But why create a character that seems so out of place when there are a number of female Jedi that we already know are powerful and wise and don't need to be shoehorned into a bizarre amalgam of 'girl power'? Why not make Shaak Ti a lead (or even the lead) character? How about Luminaria, or Bariss, or Aayla? Even Padme could be made into a truly embraceable hero if given the right storyline.

Or if you must create a padawan, why not make one that shows unique skills or unique perspectives that complement the characters around her instead of outdoing them? Obi-Wan and Captain Rex should not be getting shown up in regards to military planning, Anakin should not be getting shown up in regards to flying or mechanics, and Yoda should not be blindsided by the fact that pairing two rash people will result in rash behaviour when any telephone psychic could have predicted that.

A character doesn't have to be all-powerful or all-knowing to be a hero or heroine. And a person struggling to overcome real flaws and deficiencies in the face of difficult odds is a lot more 'heroic' than someone whose successes seem to come without effort. And based on what we've already seen of Ahsoka Tano, how can she progress throughout the series without becoming some invincible uber-Jedi who all the other Jedi look to for advice, guidance, and strategy? She has nowhere to go but down.

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    It's been stated/speculated in other threads/abroad that The General's cybernetics, combine with his already [supposedly] sharp mind lead to him having nearly Jedi reflexes. This is also illustrated in the Clone Wars micro-series when The General takes on multiple Jedi at once, holds a number of Jedi at bay and even defeats multiple Jedi. Surely he's no slouch...

To say that Maul is "Dark Lord of the Sith", and therefore more than an Apprentice is false; Darth Maul is never described as the Dark Lord, but only as "Apprentice", "The Learner", etc (though indirectly). Maul, while skilled, wasn't anymore skilled than Obi-Wan, likely he was less skilled, as evident to his being cleaved in two. It could be described as "luck" that Maul even defeated Qui-Gon; a momentary slip up on the Jedi Master, if nothing else.

In all honesty, I think Toxerre hit a vast majority of all the points. Well said.

3. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    The fact that Grievous was able to face and defeat five Jedi at once places him on the level of Master. Add in that he was also under fire from clonetroopers, and it's a fact that he has considerable skill. Calling him anything but a master swordsman is just silly.

Let's not forget that Maul's victory over Qui-Gon was largely because Qui-Gon's style was based on speed. The Jedi Master was indeed slowing down, and as such he was unable to meet the demands that Maul's attacks demanded of him. In short, it was more Qui-Gon's failure than Maul's victory.

I agree, Maul is no chump. However, while Maul took on two Jedi, one Master, one Padawan, Greivous took on five Jedi, the majority of which were masters. Either way, Obi-Wan of TPM is a closer match with Maul than Asoka is with Grievous.

4. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    :eek: OH NO! A new kid friendly star wars character that can appeal to new bright and young fans of the saga instead of hardcore, 35 year old nit-picky fanboys that saw the OOT in the 80's and pretty much hatted everything star wars ever since anyways......[face_skull]

:eek: What ever will we do!8-} :_| :_|8-}

5. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    OH NO! Another kid who bends over for anything and everything that Lucas puts out, choosing to criticize anyone who dares to speak out against it!

What ever will we do?! 8-} :_| :_|8-}

6. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007

OH NO! Yet another bitter, 35 year old star wars "fan" that is programed to constantly judge everything in the "PT" ageist the "OT" instead of seeing it the intended way of being one Saga and sees the exact opposite of every plot device/emotion that one is supposed to understand/feel about the PT rather than see it the way actual FANS of star wars do.

What ever will we do! 8-} :_| :_|8-}

Lock up your children! The fans are out for blood and there's go'n ta' be some Lucas hating tonight![face_pumpkin]

7. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003

OH NO! Yet another illiterate who only reads what he wants to read, completely bypassing entire sections of a post to simply make himself look cool on the internet! Typical of one who is raised on mindless drivel such as the new Clone Wars show and Pokemon.

8. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    OH NO! Yet another prequel hater who calls the new clone wars series "mindless drivel" yet posts in a clone wars massage board and complains about it to make himself look smart on the internet. Typical of one who has no interest in truly appreciating star wars as a saga.

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Eh....I was one of the nitpicky people who greatly disliked the prequels, and I'm enjoying the Clone Wars series just fine.

10. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Well im sorry but you missed out on 3 great movies and a lot of enjoyment.

11. toxerre

toxerre Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2008
    A person can like a series and not like how a character is portrayed in it at the same time. And I would argue that most of the characters in Star Wars are kid friendly already. Kids are the desired audience for Star Wars today, just as they were when the original movies came out. One new character will not make it more or less so.

12. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Thanks for trolling. It is widespread that the Prequels *weren't* great movies. Overuse of CGI, horrible dialogue between Anakin and Padme, strangeness, stupidity...they were bad kid. Compared to the Original Trilogy, they are literal crap.

13. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Personal opinion =/= fact. You'll find numerous positive reviews of the PT, both from fans and critics alike, whilst the opposite is true for the OT.

14. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I think there are enough threads about this topic in the Prequel Trilogy Forum. This is the LACWAC forum....and so getting back to the thread topic, I don't mind Ahsoka. In fact, jus watching the most current episode, I couldn't help but think of Jake Lloyd's potrayal of Anakin in TPM. I see a lot of similarities there. I think (and hope) that we'll see Ahsoka grow more mature over the course of the series (before she hopefully dies).

15. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    Darth Maul is never described as the Dark Lord, but only as "Apprentice", "The Learner", etc

Maul was never described as the Dark Lord, but he was a Dark Lord, as all Sith are.

Darth Sidious: "This is an unexpected move for her. It's too aggresive...Lord Maul, be mindful."

16. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    So actually liking/understanding the Saga as a whole is trolling but hating it is not, thats about right when it comes to PT haters, i should have known. It is widespread that star wars fans who think that way are unsatisfiable,35-40 year old, bitter, movie critic wannabes that make even being a star wars fan something to be almost embarrassed about. It is also widespread that the PT got more or less the same reviews (if not better) than the OT.

Enjoy your hate, meanwhile ill be appreciating the saga as a whole and passing in on to my children and family rather than going on the internet saying how bad i think it is, making fun of anyone who can appreciate it. -and FYI im not a kid.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Guys, seriously: enough with the PT bashing/gushing.

This is the LACWAC forum. Stay on target or we'll lock this. G_M.

18. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    True, indeed. I always saw that as being a sign of respect, though. Sidious had a tendency to do that, much how Dooku refers to most Jedi as "Master Jedi"; he is always sure to coin a respectful term that doesn't seem harsh or brash, IE: Jedi dog, Jedi swine, etc.

Overall, I could be wrong but I don't remember an instance where the title "Dark Lord" was given to Darth Maul.

As for Asoka, I suppose if she matured a bit and toned down the "super tactician" act, I would be more apt to like her.

19. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Mind you, prior to that Qui-Gon was advocating for Obi-Wan's elevation to Knight status. Obi-Wan was a Padawan on the cusp of Jedi Knighthood.

Ahsoka's twelve. Obi-Wan was 25. He had 13 years of training over her when he faced Maul.

20. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I have to admit, sometimes I think they really nail her personality, like when she goes "grrrrr" and squirms in impatience in her seat on the Twilight. That was a great little moment.

It's just having to constantly have her critique her masters and figure out the right strategy.....

21. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    So you think Grievous could defeat Maul in battle?

22. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    I must say I don't mind her character act all, except her attitude. But I guess that attitude was ampifide by Anakin.

Asoka is a good addition to the Star Wars Cast.

23. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    Saber to saber, yes. Grievous was superior to Maul when it came to swordsmanship. After TPM, Obi-Wan changed his style of combat to focus on defense rather than offense. In essence, he's to Jedi what the Ice Man was in Top Gun; dancing around his opponents until they make a mistake, then delivering the fatal blow. It's why Kenobi was chosen to go after Grievous in the first place: his current style was the most aptly suited to defeat the cyborg. Defense is the key to defeating Greivous, as shown by Kenobi in ROTS and Dooku in The Clone Wars cartoon. Maul's style is far too aggressive, and I have observed that aggressive tactics do not fare well against Grievous.

Make no mistake, I like Maul a whole lot better than I do Grievous. But from what I've seen, I have to say that Grievous can defeat Maul. That is only my opinion, of course. But the point was that Obi-Wan and Maul were more evenly matched than Ahsoka and Grievous.

24. Biddybot

Biddybot Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2002
    Don't hate her yet. Haven't seen enough of her. But I fear I soon may because I got some real bad fanfic vibes off what I did see. She also reminded me at times of that weirdo kid in the Gamera fliks--you know the one, the Gamera-loving boy who always manages to weasel his way into influencing the decision-making of top scientists and government and military officials. Crummy self-insert fan fiction and laughable rubber monster movies...probably not what I should be thinking of when watching Ahsoka Tano. But there you go.

She also looks--I'm sorry--just plain creepy. It's the combo of a hard-looking mature woman's face atop a bony stick-figure kid body. Disturbing...

25. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Grevious had no Force powers to speak of. Just a lot of arms. I'll go with Maul anytime. Just because he was beaten by Obi-Wan doesn't mean he still wasn't a whole lot more dangerous than ol' Cough n' Wheeze Grevious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.