main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who here listens to video game music?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Forcebewitya, Jul 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    well do any of you?

Yes, considering a lot of it is fantastic and that it destroys anything you can hear on MTV.

2. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    A few favorites:

1. A lot of the MIDI tunes from old Nintendo games and what-not really are good. To be able to compose a song that sounds good using such limited resources really does take talent. I'm a huge fan of the Chrono Trigger soundtrack for that very reason. There are times when the battle music gets stuck in my head for extended periods of time.

2. I do like Nobuo Uematsu's work on the Final Fantasy series, too, though the only ones I've eve heard are the soundtracks for FF VII, FF VIII, and FF X. I've got copies of the actual 7 and 8 soundtracks, complete with some really spiffy custom jewel cases which I used to win a contest of complete, utter nerd-dom with a friend of mine. (i.e. My custom cases were far prettier than his, proving my uber-nerd-ness.)

3. The Half-Life soundtrack is good, especially the parts that play when you're fighting some of the more significant Marine battles in the game. Very catchy, good beat.

4. From the various Bioware/Black Isle D&D games:

Baldur's Gate series:

BG2 Main Theme
    Throne of Bhaal (ToB) Main Theme
    The various romantic interlude themes, specifically Jaheira's and Viconia's

Icewind Dale series:

IWD Main Theme
    Kuldahar Theme

Torment:

Area - Fortress of Regrets
    Area - Smoldering Corpse Bar
    Battle - Fortress of Regrets
    Character - Annah
    Character - Deionarra (One of the most haunting [but in a good way] melodies I can ever remember hearing)
    Character - Fall from Grace
    Character - Trias
    Planescape - Main Theme

5. Rainbow 6 Series

Rogue Spear - Main Theme
    Rainbow 6 - Planning Stages
    Ghost Recon - Action 1
    Sum of All Fears - Action 3
    Sum of All Fears - Afteract-Loss

6. Anything from Interstate '76 (Yes, you heard me right.)

I took pretty much the entire soundtrack, and dumped it into my GTA3 folder, so that I could drive along in GTA3 listening to music from another "driving" game. :)

7. Heroes of Might and Magic Series: A lot of the various musical pieces attached to towns or when traversing specific types of terrain are really quite good.

8. Mechwarrior Series: Personally, my vote goes to Mechwarrior 2 as being the best out of the bunch. Practically all the tracks on that one are good quality stuff. Mechwarrior 3 and 4 have their moments but don't seem to have that high quality all around.

3. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I've got a CD full of music from some old NES games that I made myself, including all the music from CONTRA, along with some SUPER MARIO BROS. and CASTLEVANIA 2.

I've also got METAL GEAR SOLID 2 and a self-made soundtrack for the GOLDENEYE N64 game. My brother's got a couple for the RESIDENT EVIL games, and they're pretty cool. I also love TIME CRISIS and MECHWARRIOR 2. Some of the CD games (like TIME CRISIS and MECHWARRIOR 2) will play only the music if you put the CD in a CD player, but just skip the first track (which houses all the video game information.)

4. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I like some of the the techno remixes of old school themes like Mario,Metroid,and Zelda among others.

Also I enjoy FF's many sound tracks.

5. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    "Yes, considering a lot of it is fantastic and that it destroys anything you can hear on MTV. "

Yes that is very true. Techno remixes of old school songs are great! I gotta get me some asap. I heard a mario one, and recently got a SW theme remix (not video game music, but still super cool!) I really am looking to find one of the original Zelda theme song. Have any of you heard the System of a Down Zelda song? Its a short little song its pretty funny.

Forcebewitya!

6. The_Phinzx

The_Phinzx Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I really am looking to find one of the original Zelda theme song. Have any of you heard the System of a Down Zelda song? Its a short little song its pretty funny.

system of a down does not do that song, but i forget who are the real people who do do it, i like that song as well, have you heard the Zelda Rap? its by 5-3 Federation, really great song,

7. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    "Zelda Rap"

I hope to never see those two words will never be uttered in the same sentence...I haven't heard it, but I did here the Mario rap one, and didn't really like it. And I am pretty sure that system of a down did a Zelda song its really short and starts out with "Link" so maybe your thinking of something else...I am pretty sure that its system of a down.

Forcebewitya!

8. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    No it's not SoaD that sings it. It's just marked that way.

9. The_Phinzx

Nov 15, 2002
  10. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    I firmly believe the single most perfect piece of video game music EVER is the remixed Kirby theme for the Fountain of Dreams stage of SSMB

11. The_Phinzx

Nov 15, 2002
    i like the hidden stage with the giant kirby and the very fast polka tune is awesome!

12. HavokGamer

HavokGamer Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2003
    I have a huge mix of MIDI files on constant rotation that I got from www.vgmusic.com, as well as a great many techno remixes of Zelda, Mario, and FF music. I've been getting as many Star Wars mixes as I can find lately too.

13. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    Yeah I have a good collection of SW remixes that I burned some time ago. The coolest thing I found were SW breakbeats. Some guy took lines from the movies and made some cool remixes. If you can find them I reccomend SW breakbeats.

14. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
  15. TIE1138

TIE1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    I love my video game music, especially remixes of the classics. For those interested in remixes, I highly recommend this site.

Some of my favorite franchise music includes Mega Man 2, Zelda, and Metroid.

For Metroid fans, you need to check out a remix of Kraid's and the opening theme called minibosses going around on Kaaza.

16. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003

If you bought Jun 2003 issue of Nintendo Official Magazine ou got a Zelda music CD.

The bit from the end of JKII, and where Luke fight Vader medievil style in RotJ is top, where can i download it?

17. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I like listening to old-school video game music, and remixes thereof (see TIE1138's link). Brings back childhood memories without being bleepy, bloopy 8-bit music. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. HavokGamer

HavokGamer Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2003
    The Minibosses are actually a band that do videogame music covers. The Kraid one that TIE1138 mentioned is definently worth a listen for anyone who hasn't heard of them.

19. TIE1138

Apr 3, 2002
    Thanks for the info, HavokGamer.

This whole time I thought that Minibosses was part of the name of the song. With a little research, I have found Minibosses to be one of my fav bands. In fact, I think I'm going to their gigs here in LA later this month. They don't have a whole lot of material, but I recommend you all check out the Minibosses Website.

Mega Man 2 fans, check out the remix of Bubble Man's stage.

20. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I listen to Jar Jar's alphebet Galaxy Sound track and commentary constantly. I find it really helps with university assignements and papers. And well, it's just relaxing to listen to in the car, during the drive time comute.

Fantastic stuff. Highly recommended,

21. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    I get high to the Tetris music.

22. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    :eek:

I might ask the dentist to play tetris when I get sent to another planet in the near future as I get surgey on my wisdom teeth.

Thanks for the tip Terra, you're a pal!

23. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    I generally rule, you are most welcome.

Woah man....check out that square....

24. TIE1138

Apr 3, 2002
    [face_laugh] x 1138

25. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    "I have a huge mix of MIDI files on constant rotation that I got from www.vgmusic.com, as well as a great many techno remixes of Zelda, Mario, and FF music. I've been getting as many Star Wars mixes as I can find lately too. "

thats really cool, I recently have found a SW remix, its really cool. I definitly got to try out some of those web sites sounds great. I love the remixes of original tunes (like Zelda and Mario themes, classic stuff right there!)

Forcebewitya!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.