main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is a better villan Maul or Dooku and Why?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Hitman90, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
    I think Maul is a better villan, simply because he is more ruthless.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Dooku is more insidious and has much more depth.

3. cygnusjedi1

cygnusjedi1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2003
    dooku because Christopher Lee owns Ray Park

4. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Maul was a flashy bad guy, but he had no substance. he was a tool that was a throwaway pawn to Sidious.

Could you honestly have seen Maul try to outdo Sidious and run the Sith? Never happen.

Dooku has the brains and the power to do that, though, making him an instant threat to everybody. Maul was young and brash, and that never bodes well with villains.

Didn't anybody ever see Octopussy? Mische and Grishcka are the examples of the moment.

5. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    wow - using Octopussy to help your point [face_laugh]

I think Dooku would not be a Sith if Maul died.

I truly believe that Maul was to be Sidious' guy the whole time. His death was not expected.

I do also think that Dooku was absolutely a temporary replacement, and I hope that we hear that line or a semblance of it soon.... I am spoiler-free, so I really do not know.

So Dooku is a better villain, also because he fell from being friends with the good guys - he had beliefs that went against his "good" friends, and he followed those feelings. He may have thought he was doing what he was doing for the good of the galaxy.

Very few people actually think they are bad people, or do evil because they are evil. Maul was evil. But he was a zealot of sorts - listen to his lines in TPM - he really believes he needs to be there and to kill Jedi

I have not read Shadow Hunter - is that philosphy in there - that "he knows he is good,"

please let me know

Madine out

6. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Shadow Hunter is a great read! That and the Episode I journal of Maul's.

He truly believes that what he is doing is right, and loves Sidious liek a father. His whole life was dedicated to the irradication of the Jedi.

I do believe also taht Dooku is a tweener of sorts. However, I don't believe that Sidious knew that he'd become as deadly as he is.

I think he expected Maul to progress much faster than he did. However, Maul is the better swordsman, but doesn't show much Force ability.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    If we are discussing only the films, Dooku is a far better villain. If we are discussing the Star Wars Universe (books, etc.), Dooku is still a more compelling figure but not by as much.

Maul was about as interesting as a toenail clipping, in my opinion. The final duel was great, but I leave TPM knowing more about Sio Bibble than Maul, and that's bad news. Maul could have been so much better had we heard him say more than 4 words, or even some explanation of what he had done in the past (i.e. ruin people's stuff like he does in Shadow Hunter). He was too much of a mystery.

Dooku doesn't hold a candle to Vader, but at least we get some sense of his past in the conversation with Obi-Wan, and through his duels, we learn about his prior Jedi relationships. He is more matured than Maul as well, making him a more interesting character. Dooku seems like Sidious' comrade, Maul seemed like his child.

Darkslayer and Tia like this.
  8. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    in my opinion Maul was the better villian.

Dooku is cool but he is still a pawn just as Maul was. Both are used for there purpose. Dooku is a swell character but i still think maul is one of the best characters in starwars.

I doubt that he would ever have been able to take over the sith...but he is still cool.

dkt

9. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    Maul was a soldier, a spy, an "I work alone" type. He did what he was told. That doesnt mean he wasn't intelligent. He trusted Sidious but to a point, I bet he would of had no problem killing Sidious.

Dooku was a talker, he used his brain more than his skills. He was helping Sidious plan. Dooku thought Sidious was his friend.

In war old men talk, young men die. Thats just how it is.

10. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    I prefer Maul. Dooku never really seemed evil at heart. He seemed sad when he beat Anakin and Obi-Wan plus he still affection for Qui-Gon. And to say that Maul was not as intelligent as Dooku is stupid. Of course Dooku is cleverer. He's 80 and Maul's in his 20's, 30's at most. It takes time for someone to become as intelligent as Dooku. Given time, I think that Maul could have ruled the Sith. Maul also has a cooler lightsaber.
    I would go more into why Maul is better (he has a cooler name as well) but that would be ROTS spoilers.

11. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Dooku, for the whole 'Saruman effect' (fallen wizard). And I prefer his fighting style.

12. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Maul is the embodiment of rage.

13. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
    Dooku did use sith force more maul, but he was once a Jedi. Maul was a sith from training which would make him more evil and was Sidious' first right hand man.

14. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    in my opinion i don't think dooku was really giving the sith 100% effort.

I still think that he still had good in him and that utimalty he was supsicios of sidious.

Maal is just a mean ol *******. He'd probably kill puppies.

dkt

15. mace-windooku

mace-windooku Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2005
    maul just seemed like an over all more interesting character

his duels were better and he had a bit a mystery about him

16. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    Had I learned more about Maul he mite be better but Dooku's story is one that I like so I vote Count Dooku.

17. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Dooku for sure,Maul was a fighter he was good with a saber but it ended there.

Dooku was a Grandfather villian type,he had knowledge,he planned,used the weaknesses around him to his advantage.

If a villian can only fight well he`s nothing more than a henchman...

18. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    Maul was cool because he was a skilled warrior. Even though he didn't have many lines the way he moves and fights sort of reflects this.
    But Dooku seems much more sophisticated. He was a jedi master and I'm sure Dooku was much more skilled in the use of the force. Dooku seems very powerful.

I would say that my favourite would have to be Dooku. He is experienced and powerful,but is also very intelligent.

19. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    I think it's a shame that Maul wasn't used as the badguy sidekick for all three of the prequels.

A fight to the death between Anakin and Maul in ROTS would have been brilliant.

Dooku doesn't do it for me.

20. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Both. Maul is just cool and Dooku is just cool. Would've been better if Dooku was in the end of TPM yelling at Yoda or something - it would really have connected with AOTC well.

21. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Hmmm, they both had a LOT of potential. In my TPM rewrite I'm working on, Dooku plays Sidious' role in that he is the one pushing the Trade Federation to invade Naboo for a "higher cause." Where the Neimodians have no idea about the Sith. Basically, putting Dooku's charismatic diplomat character in a more visible role instead of the "ruthless Sith lord in the shadows," accentuating the manipulation of the Sith on both sides.

Basically, the only character I'd do away with would be Jango Fett. Instead, I wrote Maul in Jango's role as a bounty hunter held on a leash by Dooku. He has Jedi training, but not specifically a Jedi or Sith, but rather a handy third party that Dooku would eventually use to overthrow Sidious.

In the absence of Jango, the Republic's troops would be draftees and volunteers while the Confederacy upgrades their armies from droids to clones.

22. The_General_Onslow

The_General_Onslow Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2005

Up until a couple of months ago, I would have said Maul in a heartbeat. He is really cool in that he is something of a living weapon. He is absolutely and fanatically devoted to his cause, and his mere presence is powerful enough that gangs of armed men, who have no idea what a Sith is or what they're capable of, get the heck out of his way as soon as he shows up.

"We'll take the long way!"

Dooku didn't impress me much when I saw AOTC on the big screen because I was looking for a Sith Lord with Maul's raw intensity, and found the good count to be somewhat lacking. After I bought the DVD though, and watched the film a little more closely, I began to appreciate the depth of the Dooku character, and what he brings to the story.

"It may be difficult to secure your release."

Classic!

They are two different kinds of villains, and I really dig each of them. Its hard to say who is "cooler". Its like comparing Hannibal Lecter and the Terminator. Apples and oranges, really.

23. dri-ma-kadi

dri-ma-kadi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Dooku.Because he is powerful and i like his personality

24. PauliWanKenobi

PauliWanKenobi Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2005
    I'd have to agree with the "apples&oranges" argument...it is tough to compare the teo because they are uch different characters. However, if I had to pick I would take Maul. When I think of a Sith Lord obviously I think of Vader first...Maul just reminds me of Vader (and Sidious for that matter) because he is a darker, more sinister, and just simply more bad ass character than Dooku. I have to say that Chris Lee was great as Dooku though, he really gave him that regal, cool & collected, former Jedi feel.

25. mrfootball

mrfootball Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    "Dooku because Christopher Lee owns Ray Park"

Lee: 80 Years Old, dull, and monotonous actor
    Park: Young, physical, and great at acting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.