Who is a better villan Maul or Dooku and Why?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Hitman90, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. mrfootball Jedi Knight

star 2
    "Maul was about as interesting as a toenail clipping, in my opinion."
    But, in the end of the day, Park actually had expression in his voice. Far better than the monotone of Lee. Honestly, if Lucas thinks he can put any old Englishman and make us think it's Shakespeare, he has another thing coming.

"The final duel was great, but I leave TPM knowing more about Sio Bibble than Maul, and that's bad news."
    Why? It's good to have something that will FOREVER remain a mystery in the Star Wars universe. We know absolutely nothing about him. Zip. Zilch. Nadda.

"Maul could have been so much better had we heard him say more than 4 words, or even some explanation of what he had done in the past (i.e. ruin people's stuff like he does in Shadow Hunter). He was too much of a mystery."
    Before AotC, we didn't know jack about Boba Fett. Thanks for ruining that, George. Everyone liked Boba, everyone likes Maul.

"Dooku doesn't hold a candle to Vader, but at least we get some sense of his past in the conversation with Obi-Wan, and through his duels, we learn about his prior Jedi relationships."
    He trained Qui-Gon. That's about it.

"He is more matured than Maul as well, making him a more interesting character."
    If you've seen the movie Signs, you'll know that maturity doesn't equal character. Look at how immature those kids were, but still great characters.

"Dooku seems like Sidious' comrade, Maul seemed like his child."
    Maybe because Maul was an apprentice. Dooku's a frickin geezer, he's been trained as a Jedi and has an advantage over Maul.
  2. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    Dooku. Maul didn't have much depth or character to him.
  3. MANDALORIAN Jedi Master

star 4

But, in the end of the day, Park actually had expression in his voice.

It wasn't actually Ray Park's voice. He was dubbed. IMO Ray Park is a very good physical actor but not so effective when he speaks.

Both Dooku and Maul are good character concepts but neither are developed enough to have true impact as a villain.

4. Lord_Morningstar Jedi Knight

star 1
    I?ve always liked Dooku more; both in terms of his character, his atmosphere, his fighting style, his power, and his background. While I am not really into character that much as opposed to plot, I find that Dooku benefits from more development. Maul is scary and intimidating, but ultimately fairly flat IMHO. And he fights like a ballerina ;).
  5. mrfootball Jedi Knight

star 2
    say that to his face. i dare you.
  6. Delorean_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 3
    "Maul is the embodiment of rage."

That's an excellent description of Darth Maul!

Darth Maul exhibited raw anger, aggression and strength with his fighting style. He used hate and a desire for revenge to carry out his master's wishes. He was young (I'm assuming) and the Darkside promised him a quicker path to achieving more power. As a fighter he was far more interesting to watch.

But Dooku had experienced a lifetime as a Jedi, he had been taught by the finest of Jedi teachers (Yoda) and had trained Jedi himself. He most likely knew everything that could be known about the Jedi Order and should have been able to withstand the lure of the Darkside. My opinion is that this shows us how strong the seductive powers of the Darkside truly are if Dooku could be corrupted.

To me Dooku is the more interesting Sithlord because he had given up everything he had known and believed in to join Sidious.

7. Darthgenius77 Jedi Master

star 1
    For the more developed character, it is deffinatly Dooku. But for the more intense character, it has to be Maul. However I don't think either of them satisfied Sidious. Palpatine had been waiting to train a real apprentice, someone he actually cared for. You didn't see Sidious go after Maul, even though he knew he would be facing a Jedi Master and a very powerful Padawan. Sidous goes after Anakin, and doesn't want him to die. Sidious also encourages Anakin to kill Dooku. No, I think Maul would have been thrown aside, even if he did manage to defeat Master Obi-Wan. Even though Palpatine didn't know of Anakins existence at the time, I think he could feel the power in the force that Anakin exuded. The only force user, that could use it completly was Palpatine (he had clouded the Jedi's use of the force). So I think Palpatine could feel Anakin in the force, and once the young boy was discovered, he had his eyes the whole time on him.
  8. Delorean_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 3
    Yeah, Anakin was the one who appeared to have the most potential of all Sidious's apprentices. I think he was always on the lookout for someone better. Even with the possibility of having Luke Skywalker as a new apprentice he seemed quite happy for Anakin/Vader to die by Luke's lightsaber in Return of the Jedi. To me Sidious seems just like a child who plays with a toy until he sees someone else playing with a newer toy so he wants that one instead.

Sorry for going slightly off topic there!

Vote 1 Dooku for better villain.
  9. LordRevan19 Force Ghost

star 4
    Maul hands down.
    He looks cooler than Dooku and he is a better duelist even though he got wasted in TPM

Good Stuff
  10. Jediknight_Wendy Jedi Master

star 1
    i really liked Dooku. and while no he didnt really act like your typical villian and he wasnt black and red tattoo's and a flurry of moves. From a double bladed light saber Dooku came off as a relic of the jedi order something that only qui-gon and yoda would seemingly be able stand in the same league Dooku come's off as a politician more than either a sith lord or a former knight of the republic he has a aura of charisma about him self however..something that almost kinda makes me think...a gentleman?..even with all of his taunting of poor obi-wan he is no were nearly as sick and sadstic as Sidous was when he was mocking luke on the death star Dooku is cunning and intellgent and elegant this even show's it's self off in the way that he fights.that Form II stuff is really wonderful to watch you can tell it's requiring extreme precision which really suit's him well.He isnt all about brawn as he dosent have to be he has both experince and the force backing him up and as much as i love darth maul...he isnt frying headstrong jedi that come after him ~~ As you see my Jedi powers are far beyond yours.now back down!"--Count Dooku :)
  11. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    I enjoy them both pretty much equally. I love Chris Lee and he was great as Dooku but Maul was also rather terrifying. In the end both have their strong points.
  12. sidious_onset Jedi Knight

star 2
    I like Maul. No, I love Maul. He's a constant ominous threat in TPM. Very aggressive and evil looking. And the duel in TPM is the best of the saga, I think.

Dooku was too vague to be a memorable villain. He doesn't show up until nearly the end of AOTC.

Think about the dramatic effect of the characters and how they draw you into each story and create tension. Maul was a real baddie. He nearly runs over a CHILD at one point. Dooku just stands around or talks (and his lines weren't the most quotable).
  13. darth_padawan_padme Jedi Master

star 3
    If you look at this in a mafia sort of way, Maul would be like the hired muscle who you had to get through to get to the Godfather who would be Dooku. Dooku isnt THE mastermind.. that would be sidious, but he is somewhat of a mastermind. He has good knowledge of the force and has a good fighting style for an old geezer. Maul was an excellent duelist but hes more of a lapdog than villain. So i'd say Dooku is more villainous.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.