main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is Azeem ?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by jedi_jacob, Jul 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_jacob

jedi_jacob Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2002
    "blah, blah, blah."

EDIT: our friend, jedi_jacob, was writing from an Australian IP (despite his profile saying he's American, fancy that). Hmmm. Wonder who he is, really? Gee. Guess we'll never know... What a mystery...

And I wonder how close the folks with the white coats are to putting him back in his padded cell...?

2. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Azeem is a mod who runs the TFN emergency film download servers.
    The guy who posted that disgusting picture was Azeem21, an impostor. He has been banned, I think.

3. jedi_jacob

jedi_jacob Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2002
    What guarantee is there that this so called imposter has been banned ? I joined up a couple of weeks ago. It appears to me that anyone can join under any name. There is no formal identification process at all. For all we know it could be the same person acting out some sick fantasty.

4. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    There ar eto kind of banning methods on this board. One only bans a certain nickname so it cannot be used any longer. The second method bans the IP of a specific person to make sure he cannot re-register with a new nickname. Most likely an IP ban was applied to that imposter.

5. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    But what if he has a non-static IP address?

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Unfortunately by choosing displaying your e-mail address on public view, there will always be a hnadful of sick people who will abuse it

7. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Normally, those banning methods do not ban a complete IP but only a part of it like a certain provider, in a certain country etc. So that the information is sufficient to recognize that guy again even after re-connecting to the internet with a new IP address. I´m not sure how if it works when he uses some kind of IP cloaking software. There´s always a way around certain security stuff.

Good thing about this community is that you know any of the truly dedicated members are here to add to the value of this board and help each other as good as possible. None of them would suddenly post real bad crap to annoy the others. There´s a certain border between fun and annoying people, none of us would normally pass it. So it´s rather easy to spot out such imposters, here are so many people that would right away inform the mods of anything like imposters or bad postings in general.

I really have to say that this board here is one of the nicest and friendliest (is that even a word?) boards I´ve seen in a while.

8. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    Well said, HTS.

9. agentgonzo

agentgonzo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2001
    For the most part, unsolicited emails are illegal, especially when including offensive material/ideas.

What I would do (and have done in the past with things like this) is to contact postmaster@<hisdomain> with a copy of the email and ask for action to be taken to prevent this from happening again.

10. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Gonzo, does that work with every email service? Is there always a postmaster@<hisdomain> adress? Cool! What uf its a personal website? Does it go to the same dir as webmaster@<hisdomain>?

Carl

11. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I am a new member, having joined up a couple of weeks back

Interesting that your profile was actually created just minutes before making your post. Given that the email was sent several days ago, it would have been difficult for the sender to get your address from your profile. Perhaps the sender knows you personally. Since you don't seem to know who Azeem is, I guess that rules him out as the real sender.

[EDIT: Of course I know for fact that the email was not sent by Azeem (I received the email, too) Also, the photo was so poorly constructed that it was completely obvious (even for non film editors) that it was a fake. ]

Also interesting that you took the time to take a shot at very constructive and creating BA DVD art project.

If you don't like what goes on here, none of us will mind if you don't visit or post. While freedom of speech is a right, so is freedom of association. No one forces you to be here.

[EDIT: I generally try to support and welcome newcomers in every way possible, but in this case, my comment stands. I don't condone some one who starts out posting a lie, cuts into Azeem over an obvious fake, then takes shots at an extreamly creative process going on here for no apparent reason.]

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Interesting that your profile was actually created just minutes before making your post. Given that the email was sent several days ago, it would have been difficult for the sender to get your address from your profile. Perhaps the sender knows you personally.

A very good point

Since you don't seem to know who Azeem is, I guess that rules him out as the real sender.

It wasn't Jeff. Someone set up a fake yahoo email account and sent it to loads of people, me included. I assumed he got the addresses from TFN

If you don't like what goes on here, none of us will mind if you don't visit or post. While freedom of speech is a right, so is freedom of association. No one forces you to be here.

Hmmm, could have been phrased a little better Nick. Some might think you are being a little harsh :D

13. NXTB

NXTB Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    I think Nick had a good point, and I think he posted this after reading 'JJs' posts on the BA DVD Menu Thread. They were overly critical and uninformed. This post simply prompted Him to say a little more, I'd have done the same.

14. agentgonzo

agentgonzo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2001
    I'm not too hot up on the rules of IP allocation, but as far as I know, there are certain email addresses that you must have for a website:

root@<domain>
    postmaster@<domain>
    webmaster@<domain>
    if you are running a mail service or a web service. In smaller entities, they are normally all the same person, but for things like yahoo, they are most definately going to be different people.

I'm not too sure whether it is everyone who has to set up these addresses. One of my friends owns his own domain name, and I think that ICANN required him to set up all those addresses (well, the ISP that hosted his site for him set them up for him, along with his mail handler), but I used to have a web server on my static IP whilst at college, but the mail ports were blocked by the university so that I couldn't set up a mail server.

In short, everywhere that receives mail is most likely to contain root, postmaster, webmaster, and a few others that I can't remember. They should only ever be used for genuine complaints though.

15. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    jedi_jacob, you don't know Azeem. Azeem is as above board as you can get. He's a good guy.

This idiot who's sending you that crap is obviously maliciously attempting to make Azeem looks bad to new members. Why, I don't know - as Azeem busts his butt to give us all a great experience.

I can vouch for Azeem, as can every other TFN vet on this board.

Here's another clue ...

if you get an email from theater@theforce.net ... that's Azeem THE GOOD GUY.

Anyone else is an idiot and should be blocked on your email account.

16. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    And people wonder why I harp on newbies so much .... sheesh.

17. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    jedi_jacob is not a newbie Tac. And this fool is definitely not Christian either.

Its Bill...the same guy who created the page about me.

Bill, I can look up any IP address and pin them down. You can't hide the fact you are in Australia.

18. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Hey! Who banned him first? Did I get credit?

Man, Azeem. You're stealing my thunder. :p

19. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Rive..you got the Ban, don't worry. I just replied.

It feels good to ban Bill..doesn't it? I love doing it every time.

20. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Azeem, I've said it before and I'll say it agian, you da man!

21. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah!

BANNED!!!

22. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
  23. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Now, did it really take an IP trace to figure out who this was?
    [Though it is nice to have the confirmation. I'd hate to learn that I had been harsh to a genuine newcomer. (I leave that sorta thing to the TACticians. ;) )]

Mmmm. He was pegged in 5 posts this time around. Wonder how long it will take next time. Time to start up a betting pool?

Have fun!!!!

24. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Make it a game show.... "I can name that sock in THREE posts!" - Next, on "Name that Icehole!" :)

Fenn

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    But one of them was a nice post :)

Why was this locked, then reopened?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.