main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is BriaTharen921@hotmail.com?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by accrispin, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. accrispin

accrispin Author of the Han Solo Trilogy star 1 VIP

Jul 11, 1998
    Hi, Forcenetters.

Yesterday I was informed that someone who goes by the name BriaTharen921@hotmail.com has been impersonating me somewhere on The Force.net. Anyone know anything about this?

I ONLY post here in the Literature Forum, and ONLY as myself. I always sign my posts "Ann C. Crispin."

If some helpful person would copy those posts (many of which, I understand, were insulting to others) and send them to me, I'll be passing them on to my attorney. (Impersonating a public figure for gain or attention can be regarded as a criminal offense, Bria. Didn't you know that?)

Anyway, I apologize to anyone who was offended by this individual's posts, and I'm sorry for the annoyance. I assure you I am NOT "BriaTharen921."

Thanks for your attention.

Best,

-Ann C. Crispin

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    That name sounds familier but no sorry dont know her.

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I hate Impersonaters

Loved your trilogy btw

4. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    The moderators here would also take a very dim view of this. Anyone impersonating a SW celebrity or author would be banned.

5. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    Unless they are already an admin or mod.

6. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I did a user search, and there's no "BriaTharen921" listed.

wk

7. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    that's terrible!!! i cant beleive someone would do something as STUPID as that...
    the name DOES sound familiar, but i can recall what threads i saw the name in. sorry!!!

8. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Can someone PM me or another mod if they find any posts by this user?

9. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I can believe people will do anything. If people are willing to send death threats to Salvatore for killing Chewie, then why not this?

Commander Antilles, at least let us know if they catch the person.

10. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    About a year ago someone claimed to be James Luceno in their profile. When approached about the truth of this he stood firm in the fact that he was Luceno. I figured it for a harmless joke at first, but he didn't let up.

Havn't seen him in awhile. His name was Lord Red 12 or such.

11. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    why doesnt someone here EMAIL that person????

12. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    I have yet to read your trilogy, the reason being I cannot find it in my local shops or library :(
    I've heard great things about it though :)

13. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Sorry to hear about that Ann.

If anyone sees this person at all, let myself, DL, Gath or jmED know about it and we will deal with them.

14. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    You hear that? Admin says make no mistake; A. C. Crispin herself has been attacked, and A. C. Crispin will be defended.

15. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    As far as I know, Ann, no one has impersonated you in this forum. Has anyone seen anything in EUC?

16. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    ow... I've never heard of this person but I'll try to be more observant now. Isn't there some way you higher-ups can search tfn for that name?

17. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    I've seen a BT username withoutthe numbers, but not for quite awhile(and I don't think it would be the same person).

I hangout in Lit and have not seen any posts, but will look closer and pass on any info to the Admins.

Sorry for the hassle Anne, as you know this board does not tolerate things like this both Admin and Members don't like fakes.

18. accrispin

accrispin Author of the Han Solo Trilogy star 1 VIP

Jul 11, 1998
    Gee, maybe the "notification" was a hoax?

The individual who wrote me had the email address of:

*removed*

She claimed to be a forcenetter named *removed*. Now that I look at the name more closely, I'm wondering if I've been royally "had," so to speak.

If so, many apologies. It never occurred to me anyone would make up such a serious accusation.

I wrote back, asking for further clarification, but received no response...

<sigh>

-Ann C. Crispin

Edit: Removed details to avoid problems.

19. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Sorry to hear about your exasperation :(

It's such a privilege to be able to communicate with authors such as yourself on these boards and people like this are just going to ruin such opportunities for the rest of us.

20. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Don't worry about it. Just go see Monsters Inc. I guarantee it'll take your mind off things :D

wk

21. TorynFarr

TorynFarr Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 27, 2000
    Crispin, please contact me, I know exactly whats going on. I sent you a PM yesterday, but my e-mail is Lelila1138@hotmail.com. I can explain it to you.

EDIT: I just thought I should add that this is (as far as I know) completely independent of theforce.net.

22. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Hey crispin, I don't know where you suddenly made the leap to assume that *this* was a hoax, but I think it was majorly irresponsible of you to post someone's real name and email on a public message board without permission. That is an incredible invasion of privacy and I think you need to get your story straight before throwing this person's address to the wolves. Which is exactly what you did when you accompanied it with a false accusation of your own.

I happen to know the person who's name and address you just carelessly exposed to the forum. And I also know she didn't make this up. And I am horrified on her behalf that you could do such a thing.

I'll probably get in trouble for shooting straight with an author, but I don't care. Ban me. But I also know what you did was wrong.

Yanksfan

23. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    if you have information on this person impersonating Ann, I suggest you share it.

24. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    wow can you sense the underlying threat there? DL on a rampage...

25. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    This has nothing to do with tf.n, which was crispin's first mistake when she assumed it had. I would suggest checking her PMs. I believe someone has already attempted to clear this up with her.

Satisfied?

Yanksfan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.