main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is more heroic...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bananakin, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Personally, I'd have to say Luke.

We haven't seen on the big or small screens much of Luke's actions during the Rebellion, so it's tough to judge them in comparison with Anakin's Clone Wars exploits. But, for me, the answer is a comparison between ROTS and ROTJ.

In ROTS, Anakin is determined to save someone he loves, and decides to do it by betraying his friends, killing innocents, and turning to the very evil he'd sworn to oppose. By comparison, Luke was determined to save his father, and decided to do it by sacrificing himself. He knew he was a dead man from the moment he surrendered to the Imperials. The best he could hope for was that he'd provide a good enough example for Anakin before the Alliance killed them and the Emperor. He stayed true to his principles, even after knowing the kind of power he was refusing and the penalty for doing so.

That's how I see it, anyway...

2. Nemasdia

Nemasdia Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2005
    id have to say anakin, i mean its harder to turn from the dark side than it is to join it

3. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Yoda thought it impossible.

4. Bananakin

Bananakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2003
    It can almost be likened to smoking. On the one hand, it's extremely difficult to quit smoking, and anyone who manages that should be applauded. On the other hand, there are lots of people who never smoked in the first place, and that certainly deserves some recognition.

5. Sidious-3

Sidious-3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    Well actually you sort of have to get help when quitting...

You know "Cold Turkey"...

6. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    lol, "affinity for affection"? [face_laugh]

To become a Jedi at all, Anakin would need way more discipline than Han Solo had.
    And Han restrained himself from butchering Ewoks :)

7. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    :::I'd call a tie, but Anakin had more stacked against him when the darkside came beckoning.

Yeah, that's true.

With Anakin, the Jedi Council, and Obi-Wan implicitly, were still "holding him back". This The Supreme Chancellor was one of his closest friends and mentors, but was secretly a Dark Lord of the Sith, who had been literally feeding the Dark Side of his nature for 13 years. Padme was the crux of his entire world; but, for all of you who think that Yoda was voicing 'empty platiudes' when Anakin came to him for help with his premonitions: it turns out that what Yoda advised is what every religion on earth has advised since the dawn of time. Only the Force knows what would have happened if Anakin had actually listened to Yoda's teachings.

For Luke, the only mentors he had ever known, his uncle Owen, and "Old Ben" Kenobi, were slaughtered, in the case of Obi-Wan, before his very eyes. His Father, about whom, we can assume, he had, since hearing Kenobi's tales of heroism and loyalty, maintained glorious delusions of Jedi gradeur, turned out to be an evil Dark Lord of the Sith - and that knowledge briefly shattered his trust in both Obi-Wan. The only thing he could count on, ever, was Leia - and when Vader finally came to threaten her, that was when he was at his closest to the Dark Side.

I can't decide which is a worse situation to be in...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.