main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the best developed character in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by dolphin, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Who would you say has been given the most depth and substance by the writers?

My vote would be Balancer of the Force/Anakin/Darth Vader

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    If we Don't (and we shouldn't) count the EU, I would say that Kenobi has shown the most Developement... If it continues that way in III he'll be my deffinate choice. Kenobi is a Complex Individual, sad, and willing to justify all his lies as a Certain Point of View... We Follow him from Young Padawan to the Great Beyond.

The Whole Saga is Anakin's Story of Course... so we may spend more time learning about him, but other than Redemption at the End of Jedi, Vader Doesn't Change much in ANH or ESB.

The Person who has Defintively shown the most Depth in the PT is Ian McDiarmit's Palpatine/Siddious/Emperor... He took a small part which could have been a One Dimensional Cartoon Portrayl of Evil, and Suprises me at Every turn...

3. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I think that Obi-Wan Kenobi is definately the most developed. We see him in 4 movies before he is killed, and he has a huge affect in all of them. We can see the development in his character from TPM to AOTC and E3 will show us the development to ANH Ben.

4. Pfft

Pfft Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    At the moment, I would say Jar Jar and Princess Leia; with Han a close third.

5. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    I would have to also go with Obi-Wan. I think the way he was introduced in TPM and his continued maturation in AOTC is perfect for leading to the "Old Ben" we see in ANH.

6. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Obi-Wan Kenobi :)

7. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I would say that Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader...and to a lesser extent, Yoda...are the best developed characters in the Saga...and Episode III will only solidify this... ;) :)

Shelby

8. skywalkerforce

skywalkerforce Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2003
    Here are my choices:

1. Obi-Wan (gotta love those mind tricks)

2. Vader (not Anakin)

3. Luke (what can I say, I am partial)

9. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I think this might be a bit of a biased question. That natural responses, of course, will be the characters that we see the most of in the movies. That means Obi Wan or Anakin/Vader.

In terms of character development in the time they had online...well, I like Han and Luke. They both showed huge changes in a much smaller period of time than was afforded to Anakin and Obi Wan.

But if we are talking overall, despite the time shown, I would go with Anakin/Vader...the character changes so much over the PT, and Ep3 should give us a good insight as to the way Vader develops throughout the PT.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I'd have to go for Anakin. We travel with him practically from cradle to grave.

11. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Kenobi

12. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2003
    IMO the Skywalker boys.

13. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Ice Cream Maker Guy followed by Palpatine and then Obi-Wan.

Palpatine is evil from the get go but it is how he waeven his web of deceit that I believe makes him multi-layred.

Obi-Wan is also a character of tremendous layering. One of the most beloved characters of the hexology.

14. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I'd have to go with Anakin/Vader

He's the most dynamic of all the charecters

15. jag29

jag29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 13, 2002
    I'd vote for Ben. You could almost argue that the whole prequel is the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi and not Anakin.

16. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I'd have to go for Anakin. We travel with him practically from cradle to grave.

Exactly.

17. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I say Ben too. As jag29 said, the SW saga is about the failure and redemption of Obi-Wan...as a teacher.

18. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    It seems we come down to two schools of thought on this Issue... Ben or Anakin. Luke and Han have there Supporters but Seem to Have been left by the Wayside.

Question: Does Amount of Time Spent On Screen Corelate to How Well A Charector is Developed??

19. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Anakin Skywalker

20. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Question: Does Amount of Time Spent On Screen Corelate to How Well A Charector is Developed??

Answer: Yes. I think the more you see of a character in movies, the better fleshed-out they become. Through each movie, in this case six, they become more and more complex, interesting, and developed.

As for Han Solo, his character was very well developed as of ESB, but in ROTJ his character totally fell-flat...and lost alot as a character...hence, poorly-developed overall...

As for Luke Skywalker, his character was extremely well-developed throughout the last half of the Saga...since the bulk of the story-telling went his direction...but that doesn't make him the best developed character of the SAGA...it more or less comes down to the amount of movies he has appeared in throughout the six-part epic...

Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader makes the list easily. The story is about him and his journey. The other characters...namely Luke...are the supporting characters along the way to help him through his journey... You literally see Anakin grow-up before your eyes....a ten year-old slave in the first movie...to a twenty year-old conflicted young man and Jedi apprentice...to a powerful and confident man in Episode III, who's over-confidence ultimately leads him to doom...to evil villian who kills without question or remorse...to evil villain who becomes conflicted once he learns he has a son...to his ultimate redemption and sacrifice to save his son, at the expense of his own life...

And those are just some of the main points. There is much much more stuff goin' on with Anakin/Vader... ;) :)

The same could be said for Obi-Wan Kenobi. You literally see this character grow-up before your eyes... From a 25 year-old Jedi padawan learner under Qui-Gon, and takes the huge task of training young Anakin...to a 35 year-old Jedi Knight, who's incredibly brave and noble..and extremely patient despite his unpredictable and uncontrollable student...to a Jedi Master who's driven into hiding once his good friend betrays him and the Jedi Order, and he is forced to fight him, resulting in Anakin's injuries...to an old hermit that watches over Luke while on Tatooine until the time is right, and is ultimately killed by his former apprentice in one of the bravest and most selfless acts of the entire Saga...to a Jedi spirit who guides and continues to instruct Luke throughout the rest of his training, so he can fulfill his destiny...ultimately saving his father and bring balance to the Force... ;) :)

As you can see, there are so many layers and density to these two characters that they almost seem tangible..that they could, in fact, exist in real life...that's what makes these two so great...and the most developed characters of Star Wars... :)

Shelby

21. GabeC

GabeC Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 28, 2000
    Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. No contest!

22. jedi_zach

jedi_zach Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    1.Yoda
    2.Obi one
    3.palpatine/emperer

23. MrMan77

MrMan77 Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2003
    I would say that Obi Wan is definately BETTER devolved than Anakin, (i.e. with more subtlety) but we see more of Anakin and hear more of how he feels--the same thing goes with Luke. It's pretty much Anakin's story from 1-3, and he shares the spotlight with Luke in ROTJ. 4-6 are defineately Luke's story with the above-mentioned exception. Obi-Wan stands steadfast behind these characthers throughout all of these films, but never really takes center stage. So I'd have to say...

1. Anakin
    2. Luke
    3. Obi Wan

But Obi Wan will be always be my fave! :)

24. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    see threepio, we literally see him get made and he is in all the movies, he seems to be everywhere and we all know him

after that luke, we watch him grow up in front of us, we see his education, his conflicts, and how it affects his character vs. who we miss ten years of his life as he is introduced to the world.

and then finally chewbacca who we all love. Hes a lovable oaf who will do anything for luke leia or han.

25. Porkins_Dietician

Porkins_Dietician Jedi Master star 1

Jan 16, 2002
    Star wars is the story of Anakin Skywalker his rise and fall from grace and his redemption from evil. Being the focus of the entire saga it's hard to see any other character developed more than the central one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.