main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who is the Best Lightsaber Duelist in the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by PadawanGussin, May 7, 2018.

1. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    I'll have to read about that, it sounds interesting.

Anakin was using the force without realizing it, and had the potential to be a practical force god (the Mortis Arc) and even after 10 years of training, could still do nothing against Dooku. I could see Rey as having even more potential than even Anakin, but knocking down a (rusty) Luke, who when angry, beat Vader in about 30 seconds (after Luke stopped holding back) and then developed his abilities and strength for at least 15-20 years (I'm not exactly sure when Ben turned evil and Luke cut himself off from the force) after no actual training and knowing she has the force for a combined total of one day is just nonsensical, even if Rey was using the force without realizing it when she was on Jakku (which I'm sure she was).

2. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    I might also have Akosha Tano on my shirt list of elite duelists.

Prime Jedi likes this.
  3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would actually say Yoda was the best. I've never seen lightsaber dueling like I saw him perform (to my amazement) in AOTC. ROTS he wasn't victorious, but a difficult environment can best even the most skilled fighter. Especially when the opponent has an army behind him, in the same building.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  4. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    I found the conversation between Mace and Obi Wan in the ROTS novel to be interesting as well -

Mace stating that many considered him to be a great swordsman due to having developed a new style of combat but wondering if Obi Wan , who had become the true master of a classical form deserved the greater respect.

its also telling that Obi Wan was sent to battle the bionicly enhanced Grevious who could weild four lightsabers at blinding speeds.

5. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I would say duellist, then Mace Windu, or Anakin (light side).

Because Force wise I would say Vader. Or Luke. Or Yoda/Palpatine who hit a stalemate.

Combination wise would be Obi Wan. Best all rounder Yoda (perhaps would have been Anakin had he not been permanently damaged by his fight with Obi Wan).

So duellist, I would say Windu went out on a high.

Yes I concur. You could see the terror in Dooku's eyes during their fight.

I also think Yoda was winning against the Emperor, but having lost the lightsaber it went down to a mixture of luck and available resources. The Emperor hit a pod which had a railing, and barely managed to hold on. Yoda, unfortunately hit a pod and had no handrail and fell. On top of that he knew that the Emperor would no doubt have security (Imperial Clone Troopers) already on route, and given he had also lost his lightsaber and probably hurt himself in the fall, now was the time to retreat.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. One of the things that make a fighter wise beyond simply their fighting skill IMO is the ability to analyze a situation and realize when their "window for victory" has closed, rather than just blindly fighting to the death, which IMO is foolish and useless...The whole "live to fight another day" idea. Yoda knew he had a short window to beat Sidious, and unfortunately due to several different circumstances in that fight, he knew his chances were infinitely harder after that fall. Not to mention he was probably hurt, as you mentioned-which would only further hinder his chances. When ROTS first came out, I would hear lots of people complain "Lame! He's Yoda! There was so much at stake! Why would he just quit, instead of keep trying!?" And to that I would always say...well...the aforementioned.

But I maintain to this day that if it were Yoda and Sidious on an open field, alone, with just the Force power to guide them-it would end with Yoda, hands down!

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    DarthTalonx likes this.
  7. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes absolutely! There is a time to attack, and a time to retreat. I think Yoda knew he had a short window and in my view Yoda was winning. It looks like Sidious started to stop fighting an honourable fight and unsportsmanlike he started throwing things at the Jedi Master. At every turn, Yoda responded with skill (be it the Force push in his office "Not if anything to say about it, I have!" or him pushing the spinning Senate pod back at the Dark Lord).

I think Yoda also despite at one point thinking the Lightning was too much for even him to bear, he gathered his strength and pushed it back into Sidious' palms. Even the Emperor seemed absolutely shocked. It had reached a stalemate there based on luck. Sidious was fortunate that he landed somewhere with a railing to grab onto. Yoda, being lighter, got flung out, probably injured himself on the first hit. Then had nothing to hold onto, and injured his back again when he fell to the ground. On top of this, he had no lightsaber now.

But the final decision I think was based on the fact that Sidious as Emperor has resources at his disposal. It isn't going to be long before security arrives (as is shown later). For all the power of both Yoda and Sidious, there are limits where ultimately even they will fail against overwhelming Force. This was shown with the Jedi in general on several occasions, be it against droids, or troopers.

He must have realised the Jedi must act another way. Although now the Emperor can further justify the "Jedi Rebellion" with a second assassination attempt just moments after the Declaration of Empire! Must hand it to Sidious every time for turning every problem into an opportunity. He almost got killed by Windu without an intervention by Anakin. And that became the Jedi Rebellion.

Yoda knew that he must go into exile, and do this another way. That the Jedi had to adapt and change their methods, just as the Sith had done to come to this position. I also concur that if it was simply Yoda versus Sidious in a straight out fight without any interference, that Yoda would win. Dooku retreated for much the same reason. Sidious' strength was not only his dark side power, but his sheer cunning and political acumen. Something the Jedi were not very familiar with.

What made me laugh was thinking what if the Senate was not empty. Imagine the Senators leaving slowly, and suddenly the Chancellor's pod rising from the underground chamber with the fight going on haha.

But yes, an excellent fight with excellent music. And an important message. It really did go down to the wire for the Jedi and the Sith, not once (Windu), but twice (Yoda). Until the final climax with Luke and Vader in ROTJ.

I hope that we see Plageuis in the story (Have you ever heard the Tragedy of Darth Plageuis the Wise?). I begin to think that Palpatine who was powerful, was very over confident, and probably used Lightning to kill his Master in his sleep. I didn't take Sidious to be a Lightsaber man. More strong in the Force. But Yoda was the ultimate. I think Dooku was legitimately shocked when Yoda started turning the Lightning back at him!

It would be cool to see the Emperor facing Yoda again. Perhaps the Death Star next. To the point, where the Emperor became mad with paranoia that the little green Master was behind every door!

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    Didnt Yoda also have a Force vision of yraining Luke that influenced his choice not to re wngage ?

Prime Jedi likes this.
  9. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    I'm not sure. I only go by the Film canon itself. I heard there was a deleted scene when Yoda is meditating (where Bail tells him Obi Wan has returned) with Yoda communicating with Qui Gon. But I am not sure about a vision of training anyone. Again only considering FILM canon as the only canon.

But I think Yoda saw he could not reengage because the window was closing with reinforcements on their way. I suppose you could argue the Emperor had the high ground also haha.

It's over Yoda! I have the High Ground!
    Faith in the Dark Side, misplaced may be. As is your underestimation of my power!
    Don't try it!
    At an end, your rule must come!
    Use my knowledge I beg you. All your life you wanted to be a Jedi of knowledge. Of conscience.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Prime Jedi and DARTH_BELO like this.
  10. Dellow Felegate

Dellow Felegate Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2018
    Papa Kenobi ♡

11. Prime Jedi

Apr 14, 2018
    Also, keep in mind that just a while earlier, Yoda had gotten so weak from Order 66 that he actually fell briefly. This had to have also made him weaker by the time he fights Palpatine. On top of that, the Dark Side had clouded the judgement of the Jedi (Yoda included) and that their ability to use the force had finished as far back as AOTC. And I thought Kylo was disadvantaged against Rey in TFA!

PadawanGussin likes this.
  12. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Probably mace windu, but luminara unduli was my favorite jedi.

13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Considering he did the same to Grievous and a dark-side fueled Anakin, Obi Wan in a 1v1 could probably wear down Mace Windu- who is probably the best offensive duelist in the saga. Obi Wan is the best defensively, Mace is the best offensively. I'll say Obi Wan.

Prime Jedi and DarthTalonx like this.
  14. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Good point. I think each of these Jedi Masters have their own merits and unique styles. It's hard to say who would win. It depends on the scenario at hand. I would also reckon that Windu had the best offensive style and probably the best duellist. Yoda the best in the Force. And his sheer speed (Dooku seemed genuinely frightened, and Dooku himself appeared to be a skilled classical style swordsmen) would be a force to be reckoned with. Obi Wan seemed to have that combination of using the Force and his lightsaber. Note even Anakin's comment on him being as wise as Yoda and as powerful as Windu.

To each their own style I suppose. I think Vader was also very powerful, but his style is completely different to any of the aforementioned 3 duellists. I don't think Palpatine was into using his lightsaber. But using the Force and Lightning, and he is your man.

I still want to play a video game where you can actually try this out for yourself!

Prime Jedi likes this.
  15. Prime Jedi

Apr 14, 2018
    I would also like to add that despite his age, I believe Obi-Wan did not decline in skill or force power between ROTS and ANH. In fact, I could see an argument being made that he had improved, considering he defeated Maul in just 3 Strikes, and although I think Maul had declined since TPM or TCW, he was still a force to be reckoned with. He fought equally with Ahsoka, who fought nearly equally with Vader.

16. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Top 5 Red Lightsaber Wielders.

[​IMG]

--- Star Wars Absolutely Everything You Need to Know

17. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    How old is that because I'm wondering where Kylo Ren would rank if it's pre-ST?

18. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    It's from 2015, Kylo isn't in the top 5.

[​IMG]

19. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Hard to say... for me it might be Darth Maul. I love his martial art-ish fighting style.

Erkan12 likes this.
  20. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    I think any on rhis list would take down Kylo.
    He is far to conflicted in the Force to duel with a strong Darkside user.

Erkan12 likes this.
  21. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Anakin, I think. He held against Dooku longer than Obi-Wan, and even Dooku seemed to be taken back by Anakin's skill. Also we saw his brief competence with two lightsabers.

In Episode III, he rapidly strikes at Dooku when in anger mode and is still in control of the situation. No sloppy strikes compared to Luke in ROTJ who just swung at Vader in anger without strategy.

Also, Anakin takes out a MagnaGuard relatively quickly while on the bridge of Grievous's flagship.

He also takes out Cin Drallig, one of the best Jedi duel instructors, and displays his full skills for rapid fast yet controlled attacks while dueling Obi-Wan.

Jedi Knight Fett and wobbits like this.
  22. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Anakin did manage to take out the magnaguard in I believe 3 strikes while it took Obi wan quite a few strikes and magnaguards have been known to kill jedi.

wobbits likes this.
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Mace as an actual duelist is unparalleled I'd say.

24. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I think Anakin, Mace, Windu and Sidious.
    Obi-Wan has honorable mention because he most likely will outlive all of them in the duel.

25. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Mace does deserve a shout out because if it had not been for vader sidious would have died