main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the best Lightsaber fighter?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Emperor_Billy_Bob, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    From the writing in DT, I think Anakin is the best swordsman. Luke was clearly awed by his abilities when he was fighting the three Vong at once to protect Mara... And he improves much from there to SbS.

Jacen beat Anakin in a duel in VP, as I remember. At that point Anakin was just beginning to come into the power and skill he found by Conquest and SbS.

I will concede that by experience alone, Luke may be the best, as his wielding of two sabers in DT was really cool-sounding. But then, he wasn't fighting the cream of the YV crop...

Anakin stood up to a COMPANY of warriors, all by his lonesome, with enough injuries that he was already gonna die, and while wasting enough energy to support his body while fighting. I think he was the best, at least of the new Jedi.

As for Vader, who knows what he might have become without that whole seriously-dibilitating-injury thing?

2. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    by the force!!! i can't believe i'm the first person to say this... i think it's mara... she's supposed to be really good

-Nike Skylark

3. Jedi-Sith

Jedi-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 4, 2001
    Well George Lucas has said that Yoda is the best lightsaber ever known in the history of the Jedi during the time of Episode II and Mace Windu is second. I guess we will see in May how well both these Masters are.

As for after Episode II, I suspect Anakin will eventually overpass Yoda by Episode III and only by some fluke of nature (or more correctly the will of the Force) a coincidence will happen and Obi-Wan will escape and Anakin will be burning in lava

Obviously falling in lava set Vader back in his physical ability quite a bit and by the time of Episode IV, he is very out of practise, as is Obi-Wan. In SotMe, Vader fights Luke and gets beaten, so decides he should start training again and is able to beat Luke in Episode V. By Episode VI Luke has reached Vaders level and is able to beat him.

I suspect for years Luke is the best then although I am not sure I believe he is beaten by Palpatine in Dark Empire (not sure check that one)

by the time the next generation is up and running, Luke can still beat Anakin, as seen by how he kept testing Anakin more than Anakin had done before in Balance Point. It said Luke could beat him but was impressed on how well his nephew had progressed. among the New Jedi, Anakin is top as he managed to take on all those Vong by himself, next up now that Annies dead, would be Jacen.

4. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    It has to be Yoda.

Let's face it, he has the winning move as an obvous choice:

Duck the opponant's first attack, then do a "force roll" under their legs, do a quick spin and hey-presto, shinless opponant. :D

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, the EU had sword fighters that it said were the best swordfighters of the Prequel times but they were killed by darth maul.

Which means after there deaths someone else had to take the position of best sword fighter alive.

6. Ga4

Ga4 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    When just speaking pure lightsaber skill, it is undoubtedly Darth Maul.

7. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Either Kyle Katarn, or Lord Hoth. They could fight with TWO lightsabres.

8. Farmboy

Farmboy Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2002
    Luke could fight three Vong at a time using two lightsabers. And one of them wasn't even his. On top of that, he never had any training using two at the same time.

Besides, most of his lightsaber training was done either without pro supervision or instruction.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Kyle could take out a dark jedi who was trained in two sabre fighting, with only his one sabre.

As for luke he's fought with two blades before, it was his only way to defeat lumiya, and her whip.

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Ulic Qel-Droma.

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'd have to say Mace and Yoda, with Obi and Anakin rising fast...

12. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Wyl_Transerwnnyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    I'm gonna' go with Ulic Qel-Droma and Exar Kun. Those two had a level of creativity that has only been approached by Darth Maul. This creativity is what defined them as duelists. Also, note that they were never actually defeated in a duel. Kun was first defeated by a combined force assault on Yavin 4 by the Jedi, then in another force assault in the Jedi Academy. Ulic was by a the blaster shot of a struggling freighter pilot who wanted an extra buck. Plus, Ulic was able to defeat Sylvar without the use of the force.

13. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I would tend to think that the Ancinet Jedi were much much better than the current and closer past Jedi. So I'd think either Exar Kun (two lightsabers, separate) or Ulic Qel-Droma (fighting without the Force he is still good)

Prequel Era: Yoda (The best Jedi Master of that time)

NJO/Sequel: Luke

14. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Count Dooku.

Anyone who can fight with that screwed up saber has to be the best!

wk

15. RAYNAR_THUL

RAYNAR_THUL Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2002
    Ben Skywalker. (when he gets older)

16. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Ben's not even a year old! I'd wait until he's actually capable of picking up a lightsaber before I started to judge his skill, personally.

I'd say Obi-Wan during the prequel era (he was great in his prime), and either Jacen or Luke during NJO (Jacen when it comes to talent, and Luke when it comes to experience).

17. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Wyl_Transerwnnyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Ben may have great force potential, but that does not a great lightsaber duelist make. Besides, his force abilities may take on other aspects.

18. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    Okay, I'm a bit biased here, but I have to say Luke. The main reason is because, not only was he taught at an older age, he also had very little counsel on the subject. He learned all his moves alone and anything HE LEARNED he taught to the other Jedi. I mean, that deserves its own respect.

As far as Mark Hamill's role...some of you guys are comparing a movie from 1983 to 1999. Big difference in resources, timing, and special effects. Personally speaking, I'd love to put Luke against Darth Maul anyday! :p

19. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Ulic Qel-Droma. (That's a period)

20. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Gonna go with Anakin Solo on this one. Yeah yeah, I know Jacen beat him. But as Risste says, that is at the beginning of the NJO, before Anakin's enormous growth both in the Force and, according to his track record against cream of the crop YV, lightsaber skill. The guy was at least as powerful as his brother, and add that into the fact that he practiced constantly...well, he's a stud. Not to say that Jacen isn't certainly, just that Anakin, I feel, was better.

JMA

21. Beowulf81

Beowulf81 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd guess at Mace Windu. He has saved the lives of multiple members of the Jedi Council. And to show how cool he is he has a color lightsaber not seen before.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Not seen before in the movies you mean.

23. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Qui-Gonn, Luke, Obi-wan.

I too think that Mara is probably a good dueler as well as other female Jedi. It would be nice to read a really good lightsaber duel involving a female Jedi. More to the point, between two female Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.