main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

who is the best villan of the prequals

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Hitman90, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
  2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Excluding Vader (who we don't yet know as a prequel villain), and given that my only knowledge of Grievous is from various tie-ins to RotS (like the books, comics, and cartoon), I have to choose Count Dooku. He's such an interesting villain, suave and sophisticated. He's especially interesting because it seems he truly believes in what he's fighting for. Maul's motivations are hard to make out; Jango is simply in it for the money and the glory of the kill; Grievous is depicted in the EU I'm familiar with (though I have yet to read Legacy of Evil) as simply violent and malicious out of hate for the universe and perhaps a perverse sense of allegiance to those who saved his life; Sidious, while deliciously malevolent and having an incredible master plan that manipulates and shapes the unknowing galaxy for thirteen years, seems to be in it for his own power and perhaps to secure the domination of the Sith (though I'd argue that all any Sith with that kind of devotion really cares about is his own power). Dooku is different. He's the only villain who's fought on both sides, being a former Jedi. While he may have fallen to the teachings of the Sith, I really do believe his central motivation at least at the beginning and probably still was the good of the galaxy; he has seen the corruption in the Senate, watched the Republic slowly decay, and decided that toppling the bloated central bureaucracy and setting up a new political structure with more largely decentralized control and governed by accords as much as laws is essential for the good of the galaxy. That really reads fairly well in the films alone; the EU further convinces me that he genuinely believes the Jedi have got it wrong with their simplistic, dualistic, limiting view of the Force and that succumbing to the Sith was the unfortunate end result of a principled search for truth. I believe he's fairly straightforward about his goals, that he's legitimately trying to convince Obi-Wan (rather than seduce him) in the prison scene on Geonosis, and that if he could have found a more righteous path to reform the galaxy and the Jedi, he would have. I half wonder if this might have been possible without the death of Qui-Gon Jinn; the two of them could have done great things together, I think. He's a complex character, very much in shades of grey, and I admire him a great deal. He's one of the more interesting characters Star Wars has to offer, and I really with the PT had seen more of him.

-Paul

3. Obi-Jay_Kenobi

Obi-Jay_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2002
    I'd have to say Sidious, hands down....Maul was a "cool" bad guy...like Boba Fett...but we really didnt' delve into his character...Dooku has some sensibilities because he was a jedi....all of the separatists are just pawns....Sidious is the puppet master who is linked to all the villians....I'm sure that when its all said and done, he will go down as one of the baddest of the whole Saga...

4. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Dooku. He is sophisticated. Yet evil. The classic evil genius. Sidious is too sneaky for my tastes though.

5. Jedi_Insurance_Guy

Jedi_Insurance_Guy Jedi Master star 5

Jul 27, 2004
  6. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    This forum already has a thread discussing our favorite villians from the Prequel Trilogy. Please take your comments there.

The Villains :)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.