main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the better pilot, Luke or Anakin?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The_Sith_Prophet, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    I would say Anakin.

2. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET

THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    if they were put against each other i would say anakin would win... the only reason vader didn't kill luke in ANH is because of Han solo

3. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Most definitely Anakin. Luke is a fair pilot, but he most definitely isn't one of the best, which is what Anakin basically is. The predominent reason, I think, why Luke managed to destroy the Death Star is because of the Force, not (mainly) because of his piloting skills.

Aunecah

4. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    It's pretty close, but Anakin seems to have the edge. Hopefully in Episode III we'll get to see a little more space combat from Anakin.

5. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    He'll accidently blow up another TF ship :p

I think Anakin is the better pilot. As said above Vader had Luke in the trench on the first Death Star except Han came along. In ESB he got shot down on Hoth, and in ROTJ he has to abandon his speeder. Thus far Anakin hasn't crashed.

6. Master_Scooter

Master_Scooter Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2003
    It is hard to say because in the trench scene it would be extremely hard to dodge any laser fire in such a confined space so Luke done pretty dam good to hold off Vader until help arrived.

7. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I would say Luke, because up to Aotc, Anakin has only been seen as a actual pilot once. ;)

8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Luke for sure.

9. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I would go with Luke.

10. Count_Navillus

Count_Navillus Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2002
    I would say Anikin, he did take out a Driod Control Ship

11. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    It is definitely Anakin. At just 9 years old he was able to survive the space battle at Naboo. Luke wouldn't have been able to do that. He piloted the speeder at very high speeds through Coruscant and all its traffic excellently. Luke in the Battle of Hoth was shot down and he didn't have as much stuff to avoid.

When you compare them the advantage easily goes to Anakin.

12. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Going by the movies I have to say Luke is. I mean yes Vader had him in his sights, but come on, it was Luke's 1st time flying an X-Wing. Maybe in Ep III my mind will change.

13. TheDiva

TheDiva Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2003
    I would say both. They both have skills and they are good to rebels.

14. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    If you're talking about flying skills then I'd say Anakin(Podrace, Battle of Naboo, Coruscant Chase).

But for combat flying I'd say Luke(Battle of Yavin, Hoth, Falcon Gunner).

15. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I bet Anakin's just as good in a fighter as he is with speeders. We just haven't really had much of a chance to see that. I'm confident Ep. III will show us that Anakin is the "best starfighter pilot in the galaxy".

16. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Anakin, period.

- Won the pod race, which no other humans even consider competeing in.
    - Accidently or not, piloted the Naboo Fighter and destroyed the Federation ship, dodging fighters, etc.
    - Coruscant chase.
    - Whatever else we may see in Ep3
    - Single handedly picked off a variety of X-wings, etc. during the first Death Star Battle, before his wing men failed to protect him from Solo...but still managed to regain contol of his ship and escape before the DS blew up.

All we saw from Luke was destroying the DS and at the Battle of Hoth (which he was shot down in ;) ). I think Luke is an exceptional pilot, but in the films he has never been tested like Anakin was, so he's never proven himself to be in the same league as his father.

17. alexwilco

alexwilco Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2002
    its luke, tough wedge is better the both: he survivede the first death star, the battle of hoth and helped take down the seconed death star

18. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I would say Anakin.

In TPM Anakin (who is the only human who can pilot a podrace, and at nine years old) who not only survives the entire three lap race, but he also won against the toughest competitor in the galaxy, Sebulba.

He may have destroyed the Trade Federation ship by accident, but considering he was only nine, he fared pretty well.

And in AOTC, Anakin seems to be a great pilot, dodging narrowly between fire torches, screeching in and out of traffic, and and so on.

Now in the OT, Luke does some amazing things as well. He survives the Trench Run and becomes one of the few people to survive the Battle of Yavin, and he rides a speeder in a heavily wooded forrest area.

He also piloted well in TESB at Hoth, but remember, he did crash, as well as crashing on Dagobah ;)

I'd say they're both great pilots, but i think Anakin was put in more tense piloting conditions, and considering he was ten years younger than Luke during TPM, I'd say he's a better pilot.

19. padawanskywalker

padawanskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    I agree with you Aunecah.

20. lil_jedi_blondie

lil_jedi_blondie Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2003
    Anakin definitely has the better piloting skills. Someone mentioned before that in ANH it was Luke's first time in an X-Wing, but in TPM it was Ani's first time in a Starfighter and he was younger. So Anakin has my vote.

21. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Hmm.

Votes for Anakin: 13
    Votes for Luke: 6

(I didn't count The_Fury's or Master_Scooter's votes because they were voting for both or none. 8-})

Judging from the numbers, I would say Anakin is winning by a large margin. ;)

Aunecah

22. Lord_Fett

Lord_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Exclusively on piloting skills Wedge Antilies and Han Solo and Lando Calrissian beat them both.They don't use the Force and Annie and Luke did(Anakin use it without being aware of it and in the Battle of Naboo R2 helped a lot).Luke crashed in Dagobah,Hoth and Endor(in the trench run he was helped by Obi-Wan and Han).

Between Anikin and Luke Anakin wins-never crashed(until now)and passed by more demanding situations(Coruscant chase).

23. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    Is this a race or a dog fight?

24. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Well, they've both done about the same amount of piloting on screen, so let's examine. With Anakin, the examples of piloting we've seen from Anakin is Naboo, where he crashed a ship after doing very little in space, and then on Corsucant, which was some good piloting. (Pod's lack the three dimisional aspect necessary to qualify it as piloting). With Luke, we see him survive an intense space battle where experienced vets did not, and fought in the battle of Hoth while recovering from frost bite. I'll go with Luke, though probably not much better than Anakin.

25. DARTH_NAFOD

DARTH_NAFOD Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2002
    I'm going with luke. Luke usually was taking on superior numbers with the Rebel's outdated equipment, with questionable reliability.

Imagine if a group of guys took Vietnam era fighters up against modern F-16's and won. Even if they took a bit of a beating, you need superior skills to overcome that technical defecit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.