main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the Chosen One?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Naboo1, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Sorry, if this has been posted many times, but I would like to get SW fans opinions on this topic.

Is the Chosen One really Vader, or Luke, or someone else like Yoda or Ben, or even Leia?

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

[b][i]"... and in the time of greatest despair,
    there shall come a savior, and he shall
    be known as The Son of The Suns."

Journal of the Whills, 3:127[/i][/b] - [link=http://www.geocities.com/jjehrnwa/scripts.html]Star Wars: 3rd Draft[/link][hr]
    [u]Should Anakin have been trained?[/u]

[i][b]"GL: I think it is obvious that he was wrong in Episode 1 and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The Phantom Menace refers to the force of the dark side of the Universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but [hl=white]the individual who kills the Emperor is Darth Vader - also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction, and Qui-Gonn are correct - Anakin is the chosen one[/hl], and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor."[/b][/i] - [link=http://www.sevaan.com/starwars/news/archives/1999/august99.shtml]CUT magazine interview[/link][hr]
    [i][b]"Sam Davatchi's website reports that George Lucas told a reporter for Studio Magazine that [hl=white]Anakin is indeed the one who brings balance to the force. In this interview, Lucas said that Anakin vanquished the Emperor and brought balance to the Force[/hl], although he did need help from Luke to do so. In addition, Lucas said that Anakin is the only person who could do that, because he is the only one who had enough power and was close enough to the emperor to destroy him. As pointed out by Cinescape Online, this fits into the following statement made by Lucas in the Making of Episode I book: "The mystery around [the chosen one] theory is that we don't know yet whether the chosen one is a good or bad person. He is to bring balance to the Force; but at this point, we don't know what side of the Force needs to be balanced out." (6/18/99)."[/b][/i] - [link=http://www.starwarsfan.org/prequels/faq/spoil1.html]1. In general, what will the New Trilogy be about?[/link][hr]
    [b][i]"The first film starts with the last age of the Republic; which is it's getting tired, old, it's getting corrupt. There's the rise of the Sith, who are now becoming a force, and [hl=white]in the backdrop of this you have Anakin Skywalker: a young boy who's destined to be a very significant player in bringing balance back to the Force and the Republic.[/hl]

In the second film, we get into more of that turmoil. It's the beginning of the Clone Wars, it's the beginning of the end of democracy in the Replublic, sorta the beginning of the end of the Republic, and it's Anakin Skyalker beginning to deal with some of his more intense emotions of anger, hatred, sense of loss, possessiveness, jealousy, and the other things he's coping with.

Then we will get to the 3rd film, where he is seduced to the dark side, which brings up to films four, five, and six, [hl=white]where Anakin's offspring redeem him allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe.[/hl][/i][/b] - [u]George Lucas - from the American ANH VHS tape in the making of Episode II in the 2000 release.[/u][hr]
    [i][b]"Lucas: [hl=white]The midi-chlorians have brought Anakin into being as 'the chosen one' who brings balance to the universe.[/hl]"[/i][/b] - [u]The Making of Episode 1, Random House, 1999.[/u][hr]
    [i][b]"Profession: [hl=white]Chosen One[/hl]"[/b][/i] - [u]AOTC DVD: supplementary materials: promotional TV spots: Anakin Skywalker:[/u][hr][/blockquote]
    You might also want to read [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=12186291&replies=631]Anakin isn't the Chosen One!!!![/link], [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=13106765]The two sides of the force: separate or part of a whole?[/link], and [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=12176359]Balance of the Force[/link].

3. DuoDemon

DuoDemon Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Aside from the various quotes given by Lucas, logic shows that Anakin is the Chosen One. If we define the Chosen One, by being the person who brings balance to the force (in the terms of eliminating the Sith, because they're abusing the force, but that's another thread and a whole other argument ;) ), there are also several other key characteristics that seem to define the Chosen One. Its implied that the Chosen One was concieved by the midi-chlorians (or the Force, this is an issue of semantics) and that he will have a very high midi-chlorian count. If we agree that these three characteristics define the Chosen One, then the argument we make is very simple.

First off, do you know of any other jedi that was concieved by the Force (or midis)? Its obviously a rare thing, shown by the council's reaction to the notion of Anakin's conception, in TPM. That really narrows down the prospects. Since we haven't seen the birth of Luke, his being concieved by the midis is always an option, but it kills one important aspect of the OT, that Anakin is his father. Also, since most everyone is narrowed down now, Anakin is the only jedi left, who has brought balance to the Force. We could say that there is no chosen one, but then who brings balance to the Force?

I think it is safe to say, that Anakin is the Chosen One.

And thanks, to MeBeJedi, for posting all those Lucas quotes, where he says who the Chosen One is. I just wanted to provide an in-universe explanation. :)

4. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    TWD: One day, little Johnny came home from school and asked his mother to make him a cheese sandwhich. Johnny liked cheese sandwhiches very much, and eating one would please the young child.

FANBOY: Johnny hates cheese!

TWD: Come again?

FB: Johnny hates cheese!

TWD: Well, with all due respect, it's my story, and I should know whether or not this character I made up likes cheese or not.

FB: But I like cheese, and I don't like Johnny! So JOhnny doesn't like cheese!

TWD: Didn't you hear the part where I said that eating a cheese sandwhich would please the child?

FB: Irrelevant! He hates cheese dammit! His mom likes cheese!

TWD: His mom was the one who made him the sandwhich. She, herself, isn't the cheese affectionado.

FB: Fool! His mom loves cheese! Not Johnny Lame-o!

TWD: I give up! What's the use of me telling a story if you're just going to make up your own?

^ My take on people who reguse to believe Anakin is the chosen one even after Lucas specifically said so and explains how he does it.

5. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    In my experience, it tends to be along the lines of "well, the movies aren't clear, and since the movies are more important, and they show Luke to be the hero, then he must be the Chosen One. Besides, Vader destroyed Alderaan, and that doesn't sound like something a Chosen One would do."

This is the evidence I have most often heard against Anakin - not that it makes any difference. ;)

6. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Anakin is, was, and always will be the chosen one.

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    You're all wrong. It's Salacious Crumb.

Rick McCallum loves you!

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's Rick McCallum!

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    AB, you do love Mr. Crumb, don't you? :p

(At least you didn't say it was R2. ;) )

10. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    Did someone say my name?

11. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Anakin!

12. the-dork-knight

the-dork-knight Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2003
    I think it depends on whether or not you take EU into account. If we're talking strictly film, that it's obviously Anakin. But the EU, with it's resurrected Emperor plot (which I HATE with a passion, btw) makes it kind of a toss-up. With EU, it does make it possible for Luke to be the Chosen One, in fact even likely. Since Vader didn't "really" destroy the Emperor, it puts a lot of credence on Luke. So I'm betting that the majority of people who vote Luke as Chosen One are probably EU junkies like me.

Note: Not that I'm personally voting for Luke. I think it's Anakin. I can even reconcile this with the EU (sorta) but as this isn't an EU forum I won't go into the reasoning unless somebody is interested.

JUST SAY NO TO SPAM!

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Dark Empire does not change anything in regards to who is the Chosen One. Anakin is the Chosen One, period, no question about it.

When he killed Palpatine in ROTJ, evil's supremacy in the galaxy was destroyed. It allowed good to rise again. Palpatine's return is meaningless, because he still wasn't able to make evil supreme again.

Anakin's sacrifice didn't eliminate evil forever; evil will still pop up every so often. But because of his sacrifice, evil will always be destroyed sooner or later.

14. the-dork-knight

the-dork-knight Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2003
    Dark Empire spoilers ahead!

Bib, my man, that was my point exactly! I agree with you in that Anakin was the one who allowed evil to be defeated, because if you want to get real particular, nobody beat Palps in the EU, he just died. (Okay, Han shot him, but he still would've died shortly anyway.) My point was that I bet most people who say Ani isn't are probably using the EU as their reference.

15. Baron

Baron Jedi Youngling

Sep 18, 2003
    That_Wascally_Droid : Hilarious! :)

From now on, whenever I read a post where the person acts like they know more than the LFL writers, I'll just sigh and say, "Johnny hates cheese."

16. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    It was Anakin and not Luke who brought Blance back to the Force.

17. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I think Anakin's the chosen one but it wasn't until Luke came along that he fulfilled his destiny as the Chosen 1. So I'd speculate that Anakin is the one to balance the force again, but it was the catalyst of his son that made him do it.

18. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It's Anakin Skywalker:The Son of the Suns

-Jedi Master Zax Starwalker

19. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    Anakin is the chosen one.

20. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Anakin picked him up & threw him off, therefore he is the one

sure Luke helped him, but so did Gui-Gon/Obi-Wan/Jedi Council/Padme/Shmi

you could even state Palpatine made it possible for him by trusting Vader enough to turn his back on him(or just being overconfident)

21. Sith_Bill

Sith_Bill Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2003
    Luke is the chosen one to return the Jedi to power after the return of the Sith. In the end he is the last man standing.

22. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Luke may be my favourite character, but there's no doubt in my mind that Anakin is the Chosen One.

He has one hell of a twisted path to fulfilling the prophesy, but he does get there in the end.

23. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Who is the Chosen One?

Spiderman.

Come on. Does Lucas have to make a stick that says "ANAKIN SKYWALKER BRINGS BALANCE TO THE FORCE" and start beating people over the head with it?

24. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    LOL @ Wascally_Droid.
    Johnny hates cheese. Classic.

25. ULIC_QUEL-DROMA

ULIC_QUEL-DROMA Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2003
    I think, the whole fam. Skywalker is The Chosen One.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.