main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who IS the Chosen One?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Jul 7, 2015.

?

Who REALLY is the Chosen One?

1. Anakin

89.6%
  2. Luke

10.4%
  1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Now, I know the obvious option is Anakin...but is it really Luke? Could it even be Luke? I believe George Lucas may have confirmed Anakin is but what's your opinion?

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The way the story unfolds for me it's Luke.

enigmaticjedi and SkywalkerOG like this.
  3. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Exactly how I see it anakin brought terror to the galaxy while luke brought love compassion and peace.

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    The prophecy states that the Chosen One was conceived by the midi-chlorians and will bring balance to the Force by destroying the Sith. Seems pretty damn clear cut just from the movies. Luke simply does not fit the description from the prophecy. This is a separate question from whether or not you prefer Luke as a character. Luke is just not the Chosen One.

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Anakin was the start of a long plan. It may be that Luke isn't even the endpoint of the Plan, and we/they are still waiting for the final Super Jedi to be born to Save us all from our sins.

Or maybe the those damn microscopic Jedi just screwed it up and Anakin was it, and they botched it.

ATMachine likes this.
  6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly. It's not even up to debate.

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    anakin no question.

8. Kururu

Kururu Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2007
    The way I see it and following the introduction of the symbiotic relationships as a recurring theme in TPM, Leia and Luke´s destiny (especially the latter) is tied to Vader in the same way Padmé´s was to Anakin. When Padmé and Anakin died, Luke, Leia and Vader were born renewing this particular symbiotic relationship. Luke, like his mother before him, is the only one that can see the good in him and the compassionate love for his father makes Vader reflect about his choices in the past and that brings back Anakin from his dark side confinement. So Luke is just a catalyst that helps the Chosen One (Anakin) to fulfill the prophecy.

BountyHunter7 and thejeditraitor like this.
  9. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    The third stage in the midichlorians' plan? ;)

Tosche_Station likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'M SPARTACUS!

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I get to have an opinion without "well, George Lucas says..." being tossed out?

Cool.

The answer is no one. Nobody got chosen to do anything, they just did it.

Tosche_Station and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They can just do it and still be chosen (wether they know it or not). And per the movies, being the chosen one has certain requirements which only Anakin fullfills. It is what it is, regardless of personal preferences.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We have to infer those requirements from what Jedi say though.

"I believe he was conceived by midi-chlorians"
    "You are referring to the prophesy of the One Who Will Bring Balance To The Force. You believe that it is this boy."

Inference - The One Who Will Bring Balance (AKA The Chosen One) has to be "conceived by midichlorians".

Jedi Knight Fett and Alienware like this.
  14. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Well, if the Chosen One had children, say twins, for example, wouldn't the probability of one of them also being the 'Chosen One' exist via genetics and heredity? Don't get stuck on the term 'One', of course. :p

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We don't know exactly how the prophesy was phrased to tell whether it would be excluding the possibility of it being grandparent rather than parent that conceived them without benefit of partner. Or who first prophesied it, how reliable they were, and so forth.

So, if one wants the Jedi to have "misread it" specifically by thinking it referred to Anakin instead of his offspring - then I suppose that's a possible interpretation.

16. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Some fans love things being left ambiguous and open to interpretation while others hate the uncertainty...I am definitely in the first camp. ;)

17. darth_revan96

darth_revan96 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 18, 2015
    No one knows because Lucas did such a poor job explaining what the prophecy was in the prequels. Though he probably was referring to Anakin.

18. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

He left it ambiguous so that he could introduce uncertainty as to whether it really referred to Anakin, or whether the Chosen One was a force for good or for evil. He does this in Episode III when he has Yoda cast doubt on the accuracy of the Jedi's interpretation of the prophecy.

But this is simply a dramatic device so that a viewer watching episodically won't anticipate the climactic twist where Anakin returns to the good side and proves the Jedi's interpretation of the prophecy correct. And we know perfectly well what the Jedi's interpretation was through dialogue about it in the films. The prophecy refers to one who was conceived by the midi-chlorians and will bring balance to the Force by destroying the Sith.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Well, yes, just like we have to infer the existence of a prophecy, and that life goes on off-screen.

thejeditraitor and Saga Explorer like this.
  20. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Part of the tragedy of ROTS was that Anakin failed to fulfill the prophecy.

In a way, the Force redirected Anakin back onto the prophesied path through Luke.

In fact, through this process, Anakin faces the exact same situation as in ROTS: Palpatine is attempting to kill a Jedi with Force Lightning, and it is his choice to intervene. It is as though the Force wanted him to retake the test.

In addition, it decided to make the test even easier this time around by making the victim his own son.

21. RogueLieutenant

RogueLieutenant Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2015
    This guy seemed pretty sure it was Anakin. I trust him.

[​IMG]

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

That beard is pretty authoritative.

DurararaFTW and Darkslayer like this.
  23. RogueLieutenant

RogueLieutenant Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2015
    I figured he'd know a thing or two about the prophecy.

I also assumed that the Jedi didn't quite have it right. They thought the chosen one was supposed to destroy the sith. (Which logically doesn't make sense as far as the word balance goes.)

The Father just wanted the Chosen One to take his place and keep the light and the dark in check on Mortis. And anakin's selfishness messed that up. Anakin was the chosen one and shirked his responsibilities.

(Also The Father is the narrator for History Chanel's old Modern Marvel's show. ;) )

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

OBI-WAN: "You were the Chosen One. It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness."

Who destroys the Sith in ROTJ?

[​IMG]

25. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I agree there's no ambiguity as to who the Chosen one is based on the information provided on-screen.

It's Anakin.

BTW, the PT actually changed the Hero's journey. Before the prequels, the OT was all about Luke's journey from a farmer in small planet in the outer rim to overthrowing the Evil Galactic Empire. The PT changed everything and now the OT is actually about Vader's redemption story arc through the eyes of his offspring.

With the new ST, I fear that this may change again and it could go beyond Anakin. He may become just another part of a larger "Plan" where Anakin was Part 1, Luke is Part 2 and XYZ is Part 3.

thejeditraitor likes this.