main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who IS the Chosen One?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Jul 7, 2015.

?

Who REALLY is the Chosen One?

1. Anakin

89.6%
  2. Luke

10.4%
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's true, but in a different way.

"The Star Wars saga is like a symphony, which has recurring themes," he adds, "You have one theme orchestrated in a particular way and place, which then comes back orchestrated as a minor theme somewhere else. There are these little threads running through things that are constantly turning events on their head. You see two people confronting the same things, with different ends. It's a rhythm. I like the idea of seeing something from a different perspective. An advantage I have in this particular situation is that I have literally twelve hours to tell a story. It has the epic quality of following one person from the time he's nine years old to the time he dies. It's Anakin's story, but obviously there are many other characters in that story- his children, his best friend- and their stories carry through. So this isn't just a tune- it's a symphony. When you do it as a symphony, I think it actually becomes beautiful."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 221

So while the overall story is Anakin's, it is also Luke's story and that story will continue into the ST, with the new leads continuing the story. Just as Anakin's story continues even though he's dead, because it involves his legacy.

minnishe likes this.
  2. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I believe that Anakin was the Chosen One. However, I believe that he had achieved the prophecy in a way that many did not expect or thought it should have been fulfilled.

3. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Han Solo is the chosen one. If he didnt help Luke and Obiwan then Luke might have never gotten the chance to confront Vader.

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    "No, there is another" was a little line that amounted to far less that I felt it ought to. It suggested that Leia (or ???) was going to be the one who would save the day in the end.

Though it does suggest the Jedi are just guessing. Is this guy The Chosen One? No? What about this guy? Maybe his sister?

5. hamad138

hamad138 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 25, 2014
    lucas already said its anakin

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Salacious Crumb is the Chosen One because, well....because he's just so darn lovable!

thejeditraitor and DuckHunt like this.
  7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

The point in the line was that it was only there to heighten the tension in Luke possibly dying or becoming evil. Lucas had already decided that Luke would beat Vader in ROTJ and was leaning heavily towards Luke not turning evil as a result. Once he started developing ROTJ, that's when he settled on Vader killing Palpatine, which he was starting to think about with TESB. When it came to training the twins, they didn't know who was the perfect fit to confront the Sith. Circumstances resulted in it being Luke over Leia, or both at the same time. Recently with "The Clone Wars" it was revealed that Yoda knew he was going to train someone of importance and that they would be connected to Anakin, but he didn't know which one it was when the twins were born.

8. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Harry Potter ;)

DBPirate and ATMachine like this.
  9. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Anakin was the chosen one if you watch the simple narrative of the films.

However, Luke could fulfil the same criteria:

He was a twin, or was he? Leia could be Anakin & Padme's offspring, but Luke at the same time could have been conceived by Midichlorians! Which puts a whole new slant on one of the possible reasons for Padme death, carrying one child is strain, but carrying one child plus a pure force child could have drained her to far. It also make the "I am your father" arc redundant.

Luke turns Anakin, which brings about the demise of the Sith.

Although these are not discussed in the film, I don't think they are ruled out either.

But in the same way R2D2 or C3P0 could be the chosen one, as they are involved in the story all the way through and were "made", perhaps the force guided their construction.

10. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Anakin.

Now without Luke it's unlikely he would have fulfilled his destiny, but in the end it was his choice. Vader/Anakin could have chosen not to save his son and give up his hate.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Of course there was choice but Luke was the cause.

12. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Luke was the cause, but he wasn't the one who actually did it. The prophecy isn't about which one was the better person, or which one made more good choices, or which one deserved to be the Chosen One. It's just about which one destroyed the Sith thereby bringing balance to the Force, and that was Anakin. Even the fact that he did it for (arguably) selfish reasons rather than out of a commitment to the light side of the Force doesn't change the fact that he was the one who actually killed the Sith.

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Exactly. There's no way you can argue that Luke was the one who destroyed the Sith without also acknowledging that Anakin has an even greater claim--you know, being the one who actually did it and all.

14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Anakin not having a daddy is also a bit of a give away.

15. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Well, that little excuse was discussed in Life Of Brian.

Tosche_Station and MOC Yak Face like this.
  16. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015

What I get from that is that George is The Force. He is the one directing lives.
    And no, he didn't have a clear idea of how Evil was going to be defeated. The Force set in motion a family... the Skywalker line... that would some day, somehow bring down the Sith. But the details of how and who remained vague. Aways shifting....

Tosche_Station likes this.
  17. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    So the 'Chosen Family' then?

Tosche_Station likes this.
  18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke and Leia were the result of Anakin's disregard for following the Jedi Code and his attachment to Padme. It just so happened that they wound up being the source of his salvation. That's ultimately why Serenity and Qui-gon went to Yoda, as they foresaw that he would play a role in training Luke and that Luke would in turn play a vital role in restoring the balance to the Force.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Wasn't she referring to Anakin?

"He is to teach the one who will save the universe from a great imbalance."

As in, teach him how to manifest himself after dying.

minnishe likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Duncan Idaho. Oh wait. Wrong franchise.

ObidioJuan likes this.
  21. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

You mean the Ghola. I thought it was Muad'Dib?

Maybe it was Leto Jr.

:confused:=D=:p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    No, it was obviously Neville Longbottom all along! ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Yes. That's why I said that Luke would play a vital role.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Oh, I thought when you mentioned that they foresaw that he would train Luke you were referring to that quote.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They did see that Yoda would train Luke, but not that he would bring balance.