main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the greatest left-handed pitcher of all-time?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by General Kenobi , Feb 9, 2003.

?

Who is the greatest left-handed pitcher of all-time?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Steve Carlton

7.1%
  2. Whitey Ford

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lefty Gomez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Lefty Grove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Carl Hubbell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Randy Johnson

26.2%
  7. Sandy Koufax

52.4%
  8. Warren Spahn

7.1%
  9. Rube Waddell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
  2. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    This gets into the debate about prime vs. career.

Spahn has the longest, best career.

Grove probably has the best mix overall.

Ford was the best pitcher on a lot of great Yankee teams, and has a great winning percentage.

I went with Koufax, because in his prime, I don't think there was any better.

3. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    If we're talking about "prime" then I'll give Johnson the slight edge over Koufax. Both completely dominated the league, but Johnson pitches in a much better era for hitters.

4. Alabak

Alabak Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2001
    Koufax.

5. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    Steve Carlton was a great pitcher, even on awful teams. In 1972 he got 27 of his teams 59 wins.

6. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Randy Johnson

7. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Sandy Koufax

8. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Steve Carlton

9. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Oh how could I forget Sandy Koufax

10. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    Steve Carlton

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Once upon a time (which wasn't long ago at all), I would have said Koufax without hesitation.

Now, I have to go with Randy. As a hometown Diamondbacks fan, I've watched him on a regular basis since he arrived here in 1999. I remember his first season here, when he pitched four excellent games and lost all four, including a no-hitter and one-hitter against him.

In 2000, he started out running, and he kept going until a game against the Expos. The second half wasn't quite as good, but it was enough for Cy Young number 3.

My favorite has to be in 2001, when he struck out 20 against the Reds. He was absolutely dominant and yet came away with a no-decision. As an aside, it's my opinion that that game helped make the season for Arizona, as they came back and beat the Reds (in a comeback that had echoes of Game 7 in the Series). Later that season of course, he would go on to win five postseason games, including three in the Series, culminating in a relief appearance in Game 7 for the ultimate win. Cy Young number 4 came in the offseason.

Last year was truly an up and down here for him. He started off strong, and then struggled in midseason, when it looked like Curt Schilling was a lock for the Cy Young. He was pounded in one game at San Diego, and people here were wondering if the decline had begun. From the next game on, he was dominant once again. In one memorable game, he was absolutely on fire, once hitting 102 on the Bank One Ballpark radar gun. By the end of the season, it was Randy Johnson that was the favorite for the Cy Young award, not Curt Schilling. Unfortunately, he had an off-game in the opening meeting between the Diamondbacks and Cardinals, which brought back memories of his bad playoff game against the Mets in 1999. Nevertheless, Cy Young number 5 arrived after the season.

And so here we are again, almost ready to begin another season. It's staggering to remember that he started this run with the Diamondbacks when he was 35, and is now set to turn 40 in September. Most people's careers are either over by 35 or are in decline. He went from being a very good pitcher to a legendary one, and a certain Hall of Famer.

In an era of offense, Randy Johnson's numbers match up against anyone's, both past and present. While Koufax pitched in the era of the pitcher, Johnson pitches in the age of the hitter.

He's the best there ever was.

12. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    While by no means am I suggesting Randy Johnson is undeserving here, I just wanted to make a few points:

- The 2002 Diamondbacks scored 35% more runs per game than the 1965 Dodgers. (The 2002 NL scored about 10% more runs per game than the 1965 NL.) Now I don't have the breakdowns for each pitcher's run support, but generally speaking, the Dodgers were a much weaker offensive team for their era than today's Diamondbacks.

- The 2002 NL featured about 12% more strikeouts per game than the 1965 NL. Better hitters, yes. More free swingers, also.

- Johnson has not come through in several "clutch" games in his career (he made up a lot in 2001 though). Koufax won a lot of clutch games for LA.

- Koufax pitched his final seasons through brutal elbow pain.

Anyhow, The Big Unit is one of the all-time great lefties. He's legit. I just still lean towards Sandy.

It's always hard for me to compare active players to the all-time greats. (That's one reason why some of my other polls include only Hall-of-Famers.)

13. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Ok, I wasn't around to see Koufax pitch but as I understand it, as good as Johnson is Koufax was that much better (in his prime anyway).

14. Mrs_Kitty

Mrs_Kitty Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2002
    Sandy Koufax

15. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    It remains to be seen if the Big Unit can match Spahn's productivity in his "older years". Spahn was a true "pitcher"; 363 wins seems unreachable in this era.

It's just so sad that Koufax didn't get the chance to have that end of his career.

16. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
  17. padawanskywalker

padawanskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2003
  18. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Rest in peace, Spahnie.

19. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    Tommy Glavine, come on where's he on the list?

20. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
  21. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    As much as I love Tom Glavine (pre-Mets), he's not quite on the elite list.

Well, not top 5 for sure.

22. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
  23. stradman

stradman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2002
    Seen Johnson pitch many a game in Seattle.

I was overjoyed to see him as the MVP when Arizona won the World Series.

24. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Tough one... Going with Koufax though, in his prime, he was as good as it gets.

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I was overjoyed to see Johnson & the D'Backs beat the Yankees. :)

What a great series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.