main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the greatest Shortstop of all-time? (v2.0)

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by General Kenobi , Mar 2, 2003.

?

Who is the greatest Shortstop of all-time? (v2.0)

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Ernie Banks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nomar Garciaparra

2.6%
  3. Derek Jeter

2.6%
  4. Phil Rizzuto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Cal Ripken, Jr.

25.6%
  6. Alex Rodriguez

10.3%
  7. Ozzie Smith

30.8%
  8. Honus Wagner

15.4%
  9. Robin Yount

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

12.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
  2. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    OMG, I can't believe I left Ripken off. I couldn't leave that poll up like that. Sorry. Please use this one.

This is a really tough one. I went with The Wizard of Oz. His offense wasn't as bad as some remember (he improved a lot). He is arguably the greatest defensive SS.

Wagner's numbers still make a strong argument. Yount is my favorite (though his second MVP was in CF).

And any of the active players could easily surpass the others in career numbers by the time they are through.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Ozzie Smith

4. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    This time I voted caL.

Axl.

5. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    The Iron Man himself.

B'more represent!

:p

6. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Still going with Ozzie Smith.

7. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    Barry Larkin

Was an All-Star long before he was in the game since the fans always voted Smith in. Ripken didn't even play his whole career at short.

Can't believe that some of these guys are on the list without Barry.

8. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Being an O's fan my whole life, it would be a sin not to pick Cal.

Latre! :D

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Ozzie Smith. No questions asked. The man is amazing.

Cal rocks too tho :)

10. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Ozzie Smith & Cal Ripken, Jr. :) No questions about it whatsoever, they rock!

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Considering I live in MD about a half hour outside of Baltimore my whole life, it's without a doubt Cal Ripken, Jr.

12. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Ozzie's the best defensively. Cal is one of the game's icons. A-Rod will be the best offensively.

13. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    One of the other baseball coaches at my school just named his new son Cal. Which, regardless of on-field talents, is IMO a better choice than Ozzie.

14. GabeC

GabeC Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 28, 2000
    Ripken, no competition.

15. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    As an Orioles fan I say Cal Ripken, Jr. He was simply the best shortstop in the game from 1983-1996, regardless if it wasn't his whole career. His defense was great, however under rated (Only 2 gold gloves), his bat was the best at the position, and then lets not forget that he probably is the most amazing baseball player in the last quarter of the 20th century. His streak was the most significant moment in the sport since Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's homerun record.

16. yodashizzzle

yodashizzzle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    i voted for A-Rod because i think he'll end up surpassing Ripken as the greatest.

Ripken had durability, class and productivity. rodriguez may pass him in the last category, tie him in the second, and fall utterly short in the third (at least in terms of consecutive games played streaks).

17. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    who can pass on the Iron man?

18. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Gotta go with Ripken at this point.

19. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    I gave the vote to Wagner since his numbers are pretty great. My personal favourite of all time is Tony Fernandez, quite possibly the greatest Blue Jay (don't laugh) of all time. I'd take him over Ripken any day.

GO JAYS!

20. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    "His streak was the most significant moment in the sport since Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's homerun record"

Are you serious??? [edit]. A streak of durablity compared with one based on skill is quite a bit different. Cal Ripken and his streak are both extremely overrated. Streaks like his are detremental to the team and quite self serving. Rest is needed over the course of a 162 game schedule.

21. The_Ultimate_Fett

The_Ultimate_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2002
    Honus Wagner of course.

22. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    My personal favourite of all time is Tony Fernandez, quite possibly the greatest Blue Jay (don't laugh) of all time.

Easily the best shortstop the Jays have had, but the best player to ever where a Blue Jay uniform is Roberto Alomar (in his prime of course, fortunately that was when he was a Jay :D ).

23. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Wagner, and it's not close. Not only is he one of the greatest players of all time, he is also the widest margin winner; that is, comparing each shortstop to shortstop, 1st baseman to 1st baseman. Wagner's distance from the no. 2 shortstop is wider than Babe Ruth with any outfielder, Johnny Bench from any catcher, or Mike Schmidt from any third baseman.

Out of all the baseball positions, only the shortstop should make everyone answer the same when asked the greatest player, and it's Honus Wagner.

24. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    A streak of durablity compared with one based on skill is quite a bit different. Cal Ripken and his streak are both extremely overrated. Streaks like his are detremental to the team and quite self serving. Rest is needed over the course of a 162 game schedule.

I wouldnt say its overrated, matter of fact alot of the legendary greats played their schedules like Cal Ripken. You can't say him or Gehrig were overrated, they played alot of games and produced good numbers (though Gehrig is better). What I find self serving isnt either Gehrig or Ripken, it is the player making seven figures a year, and going on the DL over a papercut so they wont lose that extra mil at the end of the season. Players just dont hussle anymore, its all about me, me, me. One reason why no one really steals bases anymore, they can get hurt sliding.

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    There's no question that Wagner's numbers are fantastic, and far ahead of his peers. But remember that he played 90-100 years ago, in a different (dead ball) era. There are few, if any, alive who saw both him and Ripken or Smith play. So comparisons get reduced to statistics, and that leaves too many factors unaccounted for. It's not quite like comparing apples and oranges, but perhaps like comparing Macintosh with Golden Delicious.

Also: Ripken's amazing Iron Man streak is in addition to the great performances and numbers he put up during his career. Ripken's streak got magnified because he broke Gehrig's record the year after a very bad strike, and it gave baseball of joyous, hopeful event. But I would not say it causes him to be overrated. He was no ordinary player, but an MVP and perennial All-Star.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.