Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Jun 25, 2001.

?

Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
George W. Bush 81 vote(s) 13.2%
William Jefferson Clinton III 191 vote(s) 31.2%
George Bush 5 vote(s) 0.8%
Ronald Reagan 167 vote(s) 27.3%
Jimmy Carter 21 vote(s) 3.4%
Gerald Ford 5 vote(s) 0.8%
Richard Nixon 11 vote(s) 1.8%
Lyndon B. Johnson 6 vote(s) 1.0%
John F. Kennedy 104 vote(s) 17.0%
Dwight D. Eisenhower 21 vote(s) 3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostril_of_Palpatine Force Ghost

star 1
    LBJ. Why? Sure, he got us further into the Vietnam conflict, which is certainly a big dent in his record, but his domestic accomplishments far outweigh that.

For both pro- and anti-Clinton people, if you can't bring up something other than the scandal, then don't bother posting. For those who actually brought up viable arguments, I congratulate you. You actually put some thought into it.

If FDR were on there, I'd vote for him. For those who say World War II alone brought us out of the depression, and not FDR, then please give me a good argument as to why. Yes, the war played a huge part, but the man in charge may have had just a little to contribute as well.

For the who voted for George H.W. Bush ... uh, why?
  2. darthtenbiscuits Force Ghost

star 7
    Dwight D. Eisenhower.

He warned us that the Military-Industial Complex was the greatest threat to US democracy and he was right.
  3. djr33 Force Ghost

star 4
    didnt vote... i wouldve picked "anyone other than george w. bush" :)
  4. hansen Force Ghost

star 4
    Clinton, he just seems like a cool guy,

but what do I know...
  5. jedi_john_33 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I enjoyed Clinton as president. sure he had sexual relations with that woman, but, i didnt let it bother me
  6. T16Skyhopper Jedi Knight

star 2
    The fact that Clinton leads this poll is a disgrace. And it's not because he was a bad president (he's about a B -). It's the fact that most of you have no knowledge of history.

Ronald Reagan defeated maybe the biggest threat America has ever faced (we beat Hitler in four years, it took us fifty to defeat the USSR), in a war which is quickly becoming known as World War III.

JKF did so much for the African American people, he not only was assassinated for his actions, but his brother as well.

And George W. Bush, has freed over 45 million (20 mil in Afghanistan, 25 in Iraq) people from brutal dictatorial rule. Not to mention bringing to justice a man who murdered 250,000 to 1 Million people.
    (and no one has argued that GW hasn't done this, his opponents just say he didn't do it the right way)

Clinton himself has admitted that he never faced, nor overcome challenges as great as these listed above.

In the words of a Clinton political adviser Dick Morris, one of the most knowledgeable Political Analysts out there today: "Clinton was good on Domestic Issues, bad on Foreign Policy, and horrible on Personal Issues."
    (The "Personal Issues" he speaks of is not just the sex scandals, but the Fund Raising, 11th hour Pardons, and other such problems)
  7. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Reagan, no contest.

The real question here, T16, isn't how Clinton can lead this poll (the answer is obvious: there are a lot of children here that don't remember any president before for him), it's, how in the name of all that is holy, did Carter get 13 votes? :p
  8. T16Skyhopper Jedi Knight

star 2

Good point, Fingorfin.

A couple weeks ago, I was listening to Sean Hannity's radio show, and a woman called in to complain about her daughter's social studies teacher. Apparently he was informing his students that Carter was a better president then Reagan because Carter had won a Nobel Peace Prize. Maybe these 13 Carter votes are his Class?
  9. StarWars_Revelation Force Ghost

star 5
  10. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    That's just crazy. Carter got that prize for the work he did after he was president. You've got give the man credit, he's a great ex-president and fine human being, but as President of the United States, he was a failure.
  11. MistofAvalon Jedi Master

star 4
    Personally, for me, Ronald Reagan.
  12. -RebelScum- Force Ghost

star 6
    who the hell would vote for Clinton
  13. Laura_Anu Jedi Master

star 4
    I like Ike! Actually, it was hard for me to pick, I don't know all that I should about this topic, and I'm rather young, but from what I've learned in 20th century history this year, I think Eisenhower's pretty cool. Actually, I think the best president we never had was RFK.

Really, I don't know who would vote for Carter...he's a really great man, but just not a good president. I guess we can't be perfect! :D
  14. Bride_of_Jango Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Ronald Reagan of course. That's why I named my youngest after him... ;)
  15. RattsTyerell38 Force Ghost

star 2
  16. Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Clinton. Not because I really think so, but because it seems to bother so many people.

17. Crix-Madine Force Ghost

star 4
    Why the hell is George W. Bush on this poll?
  18. Darth-Kevin-Thomas Force Ghost

star 5
    i have to say clinton just becuase he is really the only one that i remeberd to care about.
  19. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    Probably JFK. (But Clinton is running a close second because of how much most common people related to him)
  20. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Since this is really more about one's personal opinion on a president rather than a detailed analysis on his presidency, I'm going to go with Clinton. I was too young to really remember Reagan's presidency and the years under Bush I were pretty bad (the same has been the case with Bush II). However, the years under Clinton were the happiest in my life. And even during the dark times of the Lewinsky scandal, I always respected him for his intelligence and charisma.
  21. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    Kennedy is a personal hero yet I did not vote for him.
    Clinton did a lot of good, yet I did not vote for him.

My vote was for Richard Nixon. It sounds very stupid but I have a lot to argue for this.

The Cold War is going,
    Vietnam is out of control.

Nixon comes to office.
    First thing that happens is man lands on the moon. It is not really Nixon who did this but it happened under his watch.

Nixon was given a gift in the form of Kissinger his secretary of State. They travel to Romaina. They are actually visiting a communist nation at the heat of the Cold war, something which had not been done. Nixon went to China and to the Soviet Union. He worked the the relations between the US and the communists.

Nixon worked and helped bring an end to Vietnam.

Nixon worked on ways to generate peace in the middle east.

All of these things sound like no big deals, yet they were big for the time it was. Nixon helped bring and end to the Cold war by taking the first steps toward peace. LBJ had been out of control. Nixon set the country back on track.

So yes there was Watergate. However you must look at the great things the man had done. He had a difficult time, yet he worked his hardest to get things done. He was not an honest man. He is in no way honorable. He did do good.

In my opinion if JFK had lived he would have been a better President, but JFK did not have enough time.

Robert Kennedy would have made a great President if he had survived and won the election.

Clinton was a great president, but lets face it his watch was an easy one. There were no major problems, so he was able to do good. His watch was an easy one.

Reagan did some good and some bad. Don't vote for him just because he is popular. A lot of people loved him because he was a nice guy, and a hollywood hero.

Jimmy Carter worked hard but he was not given many chances by America. He did work hard and is perhaps the best X President in history. He has done a lot of good since leaving office.

Ford had a hard situation to look after. He became unpopular because of watergate.

LBJ also had a hard time and he tried to do his best. His domestic policy was very good.

GW Bush does not deserve to be on the survey for the simple reason that don't judge him until his term is up. I mean he could either have four more years to screw things up, or at least a few more months, either way he has time to screw things.

-Seldon
  22. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I voted Clinton simply because I vote based on how my life was affected during a presidency. When Clinton was president, my life took major upswings personally, professionally, financially, and more. A lot of it was due to the economy during his presidency. I'm sure other guys on the poll did great things and were great policy-makers, foreign diplomats, and commander-in-chiefs, but I have to base my opinions on the here and now. I look at how a president is affecting me and my family and my child's future. Sure, Clinton had moral issues, but I don't know a person who doesn't, and frankly, if I had could have that economy back to play around with again, he could have Roman orgies for all I care.
  23. Zinergy Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I voted for JFK... I think he was the last honorable President.
  24. DARTH_CONFEDERATE Force Ghost

star 5
    I enjoyed Clinton as president. sure he had sexual relations with that woman, but, i didnt let it bother me

It's not the affair that bothers me, don't think it was anybody's business. i think what the Republicans did to him about that was wrong, and why he had to have a trial for that I don't know. But what I don't like is the fact that he swore on the Bible and lied to America.
  25. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I almost barfed when I saw Clinton is winning. The man is toilet scum. He did nothing good for this nation. He handed our military to NATO (we should never give a foreign general command of our army. never), he raised taxes, dumped money into worthless programs, hurt our defense and then blamed his failures on Bush post 9-11, and he swore on the Bible and lied. And then in his apology he said he didn't exactly lie he just doesn't understand english.

For all who voted Kennedy. The man had the blood of many Cubans on his hands and you can thank him for communist Cuba today. Before he came into office there was a plan to support Cuban revolutionaries and overthrow communism. He dropped air support at the last second and let them be slaughtered like animals.

Seldon has a great statement on Nixon. And I personally voted for Reagan with the Bushes and Eisenhower close behind.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.