main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Jun 25, 2001.

?

Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. George W. Bush

13.2%
  2. William Jefferson Clinton III

31.2%
  3. George Bush

0.8%
  4. Ronald Reagan

27.3%
  5. Jimmy Carter

3.4%
  6. Gerald Ford

0.8%
  7. Richard Nixon

1.8%
  8. Lyndon B. Johnson

1.0%
  9. John F. Kennedy

17.0%
  10. Dwight D. Eisenhower

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    I don't get it. Which one is papa Bush and which one is dubya? :confused:

2. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Clinton will always go down in history as a worse president than what he was in reality because of the whole Lewinsky/affair thing. Stupid people expect presidents to act as morally perfect human beings. Being morally perfect isn't a prerequisite to being a good President. Things like being a good politician, diplomat and leader are more aimiable characteristics for a good president. That's why I would choose either Clinton or Kennedy. There were rumors about Kennedy having a "wild life" as well in the 60's but nobody seemed to be bothered by it then. It's just that there were no Ken Starrs back then.

3. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    That is a great way to put things

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    First let me thank DarthMyBoy.
    Okay now I'm going to respond to this comment. I agree that being moral doesn't constitute an effective executive, I disagree that Clinton will go down as one of the worst presidents. He won't. He may be blamed for allowing terror to grow abroad--but so did every other politician in the 90s. He will be remebered for his excellent domestic policy, his diplomatic ventures around the world, and for the sex scandal. His sex life isn't going to make him a bad President in histories' eyes. The worst critics spoke about it in 1998, from here views will only get better for him. Clinton won't be seen anywhere near the bottom of Presidents. I wouldn't worry about that.

The fact remains that most Presidents have had affairs. This begins with Jefferson and his slave women, FDR is reported to have had affairs (even when he was in the wheelchair.) Kennedy certainly is infamous for it as is Clinton. Some leaders stray other stay committed--among those who stay true are Adolf Hitler and Richard Nixon. Being true to a wife doesn't exaclty make one moral.

-Seldon

5. sccrman95

sccrman95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2004
    I said Kennedy.

Sccrman95

6. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Ronald Reagan

7. master_hard_bread

master_hard_bread Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2005
    Reagan, and I must say, I'm sickened by the number of votes for that thing in office right now.

8. DARK__SITH__LORD

DARK__SITH__LORD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2006
    Clinton I guess...

9. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002

So agree. If he had a backbone he would have stopped OBL after the first World Trade center attack. W. ALL THE WAY!!!

10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I`m switching my vote to Clinton,yes Reagan is a President I admire but he was a case of the times making the presidency. Republicans complain about the liberal bias media but they did the excat same thing to Clinton, and the fact that Bush didn`t get impeached for the mere mention of this "Patriot Act" proves that this was partisan slander. Cliton had to raise taxes because he inherited a large debt from Reagan and Bush Sr.

Bush Sr I really don`t mind,he was a moderate republican who I think deserves his spot in the history books.

Kennedy's life was sadly taken away before he could prove true greatness but we owe our lives to this man and how he got us through the Cuban Missle crisis. If Bush was President here it would be the apocolypse.

11. dewbackwing1138

dewbackwing1138 Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2006
    President Clinton was good at not getting in the way. He had a Republican controlled congress that held his feet to the flames on issues such as a balanced budget, and welfare reform. President Clinton was awesome on the domestic front, however he lacked conviction in fighting Terrorism. His office and administration allowed for things to build up by pulling out of Somalia, allowing the A.G. office to stonewall info that is revealed in Grand Jury cases, by not taking Bin Laden when the Sudanese offered him to us-read Losing Bin Laden, and many other cases such as Chinese funny money.

I like Clinton, I like Reagan, I like Kennedy, I like T. Roosevelt and love G Washington.

Who was the greatest modern president-I would say Reagan. We need to let some more time occur before we can say Clinton or George W Bush.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  13. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I voted for Reagan.

I think the best President of all time is FDR.

14. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Clinton. His impact on this country and our economy was huge. Bush is tearing everything apart. [face_plain]

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Call the thread "... in the Post WWII era". Modern is far too vague a term, you could easily argue that it goes back to the start of the 20th century.

In which case TR gets my vote hands down.

Of the choices, Reagan.

16. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
  17. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    I've definitely chosen Clinton, and to all those worried that the Lewinsky affair will tarnish his image, think again. :) I too was worried, but in recent times, I've found that more and more people are willing to forgive, or at least understand that it had almost nothing to do with his actions as a president. Reagan was alright, but as he's leader of the neo-cons (basically), I really have a hard time agreeing with his ideals. Plus? Recession, hello! And although I love JFK for his ability to motivate the U.S. and his amazing orative talents, I don't feel he got much done; he obviously didn't get the time he needed or had planned on. He encouraged us to go to the moon, yeah, but does anyone remember the Bay of Pigs incident?

Clinton's pretty widely regarded as one of the most intelligent presidents, based on several things- including the fact that his IQ is one of the highest the executive office has seen. And as someone said before me, he enjoyed a wonderful time in our republic's history. Things fell into place for him very conveniently. The point, though, is that he helped to maintain the success we as a nation had for the duration of his presidency.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think it's hilarious that Clinton is winning this thing, I mean, what in the world did he do?

Took advantage of the natural economic wave? Check.

Let the terrorists plot the night away while he sat and twiddled his thumbs (or did other things I won't go into)? Check.

Got impeached, lied under oath? Check that too.

Ronald Reagan maneuvered the United States out of the Cold War, plain and simple. Perhaps people feared him, perhaps he was just smart, who knows.

Bill Clinton intervened in a disasterous campaign in Somalia, didn't do a whole lot of good in the Balkans, and launched an air strike against Hussein in a "wag the dog" spoof on the eve of his Impeachment. Hardly a resume to me, and I strongly feel history will place much of the security failures of the last decade squarely where they belong, on the passive Clinton-Gore administration.

19. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
    Ronald Reagan

20. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    good ol billy clinton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.