main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Jun 25, 2001.

?

Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. George W. Bush

13.2%
  2. William Jefferson Clinton III

31.2%
  3. George Bush

0.8%
  4. Ronald Reagan

27.3%
  5. Jimmy Carter

3.4%
  6. Gerald Ford

0.8%
  7. Richard Nixon

1.8%
  8. Lyndon B. Johnson

1.0%
  9. John F. Kennedy

17.0%
  10. Dwight D. Eisenhower

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lott_Dod

Lott_Dod Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2001
    He dosen't stink- he sucks.

I wonder how many interns he has hired at his house. Now that he's out of office, he's free to do whatever he wants with them. It's not like Hillary cares.

2. Demodex

Demodex Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    It looks like Clinton is currently winning this poll. There's not like there is any real competition in there though.

Clinton got my vote.

3. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    My problems with Reagan are as follows:

--dismantling of the health care system. The cutting of federal funding and closure of federally controlled asylums, led directly to the increase in homeless..especially homeless vets during the 80's.

--Ignored the problem of AIDS for over 4 years, possibly leading to the problem becoming bigger than it needed to be

--Deregulated the Airline industry leading it to the current problem of all the airlines being owned by three major airlines (diversity is gone)

--He did not single handedly end communism. Communism was a great theory that could never work in the real world. Communism destroyed itself.

--He was not a great president, he was great at "acting" as the president. The gap between the rich and the poor increased significantly during his term.

4. Demodex

Demodex Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    Or, to sum it up, Reagan sucked.

5. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    I guess you could say that :p

6. ktwsolo

ktwsolo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2001
    I only wish I could have had some first-hand experiance with some of these presidents, but I've done research and taken classes and I tend to agree with Kessel Runner. But also with the Clinton-bashers. I'm independent :)

7. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    JFK, the man reformed your country, stuck it to the Russians during the whole Cuban thing, allowed people to have freedom of speech(as limited as it was) and as history shows-was not perfect by any means, but he did care. :)

8. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Kessel Runner--

On your list of Reagan's accomplishments, you forgot what a great friend he proved to be to the environment.

I'm so happy to see how well Doubleyou is working hard to fill the shoes of his papa's boss.

9. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    I demand a 'None of The Above' option! :eek: :p

10. ktwsolo

Feb 25, 2001
    I said JFK because of the Cuban Missile Crisis and he jumpstarted the space program.

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    no one has posted any reason why they voted for Clinton. c'mon people, if you're going to vote for a crappy president at least tell us why!!!

(i didn't vote BTW, i don't have any good reasons to vote for anyone....yet)

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't care. I'm British :)

13. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    ktwsolo...the Missile Crisis is a reason *not/i] to vote for JFK IMHO... ?[face_plain]

14. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    What? No one else voted for LBJ?

15. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    One word: Vietnam.

I voted for Clinton in 1992 because he represented progressive change compared to Bush. Bush was also a hack; I haven't had any respect for the man since his famous flip-flops on abortion and "voodoo economics" in 1980, just so he could ride on Reagan's shoulders.

I opted for Nader in 1996 for a variety of reasons, including the fact that Clinton signed the atrocious "Welfare Reform Act" of 1996. His environmental policies and neo-Republican economic policies also stunk, though not nearly as much as Reagan's.

And yup, I opted for Nader again in 2000. Granted that the author of Earth in the Balance was infinitely preferable to a dumb cluck of a Texan oil man, I still wanted to give the Greens a boost.

Now the dumb cluck is doing his best to ensure that I can continue to vote Green as long as I live in California. At least it took Clinton a full two years to lose control of Congress. W has managed to lose the Senate, antagonize our world allies, and alienate the moderates in his own party in just five months time. Now that's a record to be proud of!

16. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    I'll tell ya, I chose JFK, but I can easily see how someone could choose Clinton.

Whatever you think of the man as a person, he led this nation into the greatest economic boom ever, he was progressive in his social reforms, protected the environment, made friends in many nations (despite his previous lack of international experience), attempted--though unsuccessfully--to create a peace treaty in the Mideast....

I could go on, but I'll stop, because I didn't vote for him in this poll.

17. ktwsolo

Feb 25, 2001
    JediWarrior: JFK got us around the Missile Crisis which easily could have escalated into a very destructive war. I don't know why that would keep me from voting for him.

18. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    He also introduced the problem in the first place :eek:

19. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
    It looks to me like a few people used some socks in order to skew this poll in favor of Clinton.

20. ktwsolo

Feb 25, 2001
    JediWarrior: It wasn't entirely his fault, there were many more factors than his presidency. I think it would have happened no matter who was president.

21. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Interesting side note, Castro didn't want them there.

22. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Kessel Runner said:

""My problems with Reagan are as follows:

--dismantling of the health care system. The cutting of federal funding and closure of federally controlled asylums, led directly to the increase in homeless..especially homeless vets during the 80's. ""

There have always been homeless in America. The media did overplay the homeless factor simply to try to try to put a shadow over the economy that Reagan built and that is still functional today. Notice they never talked about the homeless during the Clinton Admin, even though they are still our there?

Also, I don't know what you are talking about cutting federal funding. It is true that during the 70's, Ted Kennedy and Jimmy Carter poured VAST amounts of money into housing projects, and look at the wonderfull things that came out of it: Sky High unemployment, welfare fraud; high crime rates, drugs, and more.

>>Ignored the problem of AIDS for over 4 years, possibly leading to the problem becoming bigger than it needed to be <<

Well, I admit that I did not hear much about AIDS untill Rock Hudson caught it, and then the media was all over the place promoting it. No Doubt, yes, he could have done more, though. Albeit so could congress.

>>--Deregulated the Airline industry leading it to the current problem of all the airlines being owned by three major airlines (diversity is gone) <<

Never had any problems with the Airlines. I hear there are problems now. However, I have not heard of Airline problems REALLY getting bad untill a few years ago, well past the time of Reagan.

>>--He did not single handedly end communism. Communism was a great theory that could never work in the real world. Communism destroyed itself. <<

Not singlehandedly, but he certainly destroyed the Soviet Union. And no, Communism was not a great theory. The Soviets destroyed themselves when they foudn out the hard way they could not match us, and saw we had a president who was not afraid of them.

>>--He was not a great president, he was great at "acting" as the president. The gap between the rich and the poor increased significantly during his term.<<

he was the greatest president of our time. Clinton was the greatest actor of all time, if you can't see that, then you are pretty blind. And while there was a disparity between rich and poor, there always have been.

Back before Reagan, America was not the country it was today. We were regularly held hostage by oil producing country's. Any of you all hear of the gas lines of the 70's? Our military was in shambles. Arabs and the Soviets regularly thumbed their noses at the US. Terrorist hijackings were almost a daily event; as were 'death to america' parades everywhere. The Soviets invaded Afghanistan.

And at home, things were even worse. Aside from the gas lines; unemployment was superemely high. The worse economy since the Great Depression was during the Carter Administration. Black outs were semi-common place. America's pride was down BIG TIME.

All that changed when Reagan took office. Even the biggest critics of Reagan can't deny the fact that when he took over, America's spirit lifted up. I will never forget the day in the 8th grade when our principal announced over the PA that we had bombed Libya, after all the many things Libya had been doing to the US. Everyone jumped up and cheered and went running out of class. I was so proud that we had shown them up (btw, my friends and I back then were certain the Libyans had blown up the space shuttle).

Clinton never came close to any of this. As late as a year ago, you can find stuff where clinton would say how the Economy has been in a 9 year climb. Gee, who was president 9 years ago? He lied, but enough stupid people bought it, and Ross Perot drew enough support to make an unelectable person elected

23. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Reagan Was my selection from the list.

24. StarWars_Revelation

StarWars_Revelation Jedi Master star 5

Aug 5, 2001
    Thomas Jefferson and Ronald Reagan were the best. Jefferson was very, very intelligent, and Reagan had to deal with so much during his campaign. I can't believe how well Clinton is doing. I mean he did have an affair with Monica, then lied about. I have since lost respect for the man.

25. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Clinton lied about an affair... Whooptidoo. Like Republicans and Demos int he past haven't?

Overall, he left the county in a much better spot than he found it. Shrub the One was a hack of a president.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.