main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Jun 25, 2001.

?

Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. George W. Bush

13.2%
  2. William Jefferson Clinton III

31.2%
  3. George Bush

0.8%
  4. Ronald Reagan

27.3%
  5. Jimmy Carter

3.4%
  6. Gerald Ford

0.8%
  7. Richard Nixon

1.8%
  8. Lyndon B. Johnson

1.0%
  9. John F. Kennedy

17.0%
  10. Dwight D. Eisenhower

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    *wonders how so many people could be blind to the fact that Clinton sucked as a president*

...and a Jango

2. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    Reagan, I don't know what the Clinton peeople were thinking, the man disgraced the office...

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    JFK

He helped avert World War 3!

Cuban Missle Crisis, anyone?

Clinton was not very good, but he was much better than Reagan.

4. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    Didn't JFK also get us in Vietnam... or am I thinking of something else?

5. Imoen

Imoen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2002
    Ronald Reagan! I'm amazed that so many people think Clinton was a good president... they must have very short memories. [face_plain] Or just fuzzy ones.
    Although I must say, I think George W. Bush is smarter than everyone seems to thinks he is...

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Lyndon Johnson got us in Vietnam.

7. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
  8. Star5248z

Star5248z Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2002
    Definently NOT Billy boy!!!

bad Billy!!! Bad!!!

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    What about Dubya?

He's been a notty boy, playing with that economy...

10. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Dubya?
    Worst...president...ever!
    It's Reagan for better or for worse. Beat the Commies in the best possible way--he spent them into the ground.

While we're at it, when are you Americans gonna turf the Electoral College? How, in a Democracy, can the guy who won the popular vote not win the election? A cumbersome, redundant, antiquated process.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Dubya is the worst president!

Economy go down the drain...........

DOWN WITH THE ELECTORAL PROCESS!!!

12. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Seriously, the guy is dangerous.

"Well, Saddam tried to kill my dad."
    Who cares? You're running a country pal. If I remember, we tried killing Saddam. Dragging a nation into a war over a personal vendetta, and it is, is just horrible .

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He is an embarassment for America.

14. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Nixon was good, but the best would have to have been Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

15. _HothWampa_

_HothWampa_ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2002
    I'd say none other than tricky dick himself.... nixon got my vote.. ever hear of vietnamization... well nixon got us out of vietnam nuff said. :)

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Just because Clinton has a bad family life doesn't make him a bad president.

He helped get America out of the debt Reagan and Bush caused! Now Bush's "heir to the throne" has gone tax-cut happy. "Hu-yuck! We give people 200 dollars a year, and that makes me a good president!"

What is it with conservatives and their tax-cuts?Tax-cuts help ruin the economy, not boost it.

What's so good about crushing Communism? It's not an evil system, it only had evil rulers. The best Republican president would have to be the first one(guess who it is). I'm not saying all Democratic presidents were good, but some were certainly better than Republican presidents.

One final thought: I hate politians, period. Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green, Reform, et cetera. I believe most, if not all, of them are liars, cheaters and thieves. All they do is mostly to boost their PR. Politians make me :mad: . It was very hard for me to pick the "best" one, while in my opinion all of them were bad.

17. obi-wannabe1

obi-wannabe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    clinton! he was one of the greatest presidents ever. i wish that he could have stayed in office longer. damn term limits.

18. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Clinton was and is a joke. We have Clinton to thank for the current state of our economy and our security.

Thank the maker Al Gore didn't make that list.

19. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    It's hard for people to be objective on this topic. Most use their political beliefs as the measuring stick for a president.

LBJ probably accomplised more domestically than any other man on the list. But, of course, he was ruined by Vietnam. He did not get the U.S. "in" to Vietnam, but he chose escalation when he could have gotten out. Damn Domino Theory.

Kudos to Jimmy Carter for the Nobel Peace Prize. While his presidency was a mess, he is probably the greatest "former president" we have had.

20. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    I cannot believe that people are actually giving Clinton votes. Of course, none seem to have a good reason either ("I don't care" doesn't count).

Reagan gets my vote for leading the nation to economic prosperity and leading the world away from communism.

Oh, and no affairs with pudgy interns didn't hurt either.

21. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Reagan--He rebuilt the country's confidence after it had been trashed for two decades. He faced down the Soviet Union and began the process of tearing it down.

Second up is the current Bush. He provided strong, steady leadership from 9/11 on. (Even before then he was doing a good job, regardless of what the liberal pundits were saying.)

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    For all those people who voted for Kennedy -- you may have a decent argument there, but I bet the reasons I like him and the resons you like him are very different. I hate to break it to you guys, but Kennedy was pretty conservative, especially fiscally, contrary to what Brother Teddy seems to think nowadays. If you liked Kennedy, you'll love George W. Bush.

:eek: WTF?!? Oh, you were joking! [face_laugh]

Oh. Oh. You weren't? ?[face_plain]

There are many reasons why Kennedy and Dubya are different. From literacy levels onwards, ;) there are millions of differences. The main one:

Kennedy was told there was ONLY one option to deal with the Cuban missiles - military strikes. He favoured diplomacy and prevailed. He was reluctant to break international law by calling the blockade of Cuba "self-defence" under Article 51, invoking the Rio Pact and Article 52 instead.

Dubs, OTOH, only has one option for Iraq, military strikes, and doesn't care if he breaks international law at all.

Conservative? Compared to Che Guevara, then yes, perhaps.

JFK was da man.

E_S

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Lyndon Johnson got us in Vietnam.

Wow, I'm Australian and I know that's not true. JFK committed US forces to Vietnam because he wanted to prove that the US would stand by it's allies and it's belief in democracy and freedom.

LBJ merely enlargened the US presence from an advisory role. And, IIRC, had his beagle's ashes kept in an urn in the oval office.

Clinton completely cut out the CIA, along with then SecState Anthony Lake. Boooooo! :p

Why so low for George Bush? He was much better qualified on foreign issues than his son is!

E_S

24. darthtj

darthtj Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2002
    Regan is pure republican propganda. We are paying for his mistakes today. His regime is responsible for putting Saddam Hussein in power. His regime is responsible for help traing Osama bin laden. this has a lot more of an impact on our lives than a president lying about his sex life. George w has a hypocrite in his poliies.. Embargo on Cuba but not China? Aren't both countries communist? Oh that's right. His rich corporate friends make money trading with china, and George W wants to cater to the florida cuban vote.

25. jedistratus

jedistratus Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2002
    regan is defintly the worst president since LBJ, the fact the people voted for george w bush is disturbing, the only reason anyone could say that is because of the whole 9/11 thing was pretty much just fell in his lap and he did what any president would do. and he wants invade iraq to get oil for his dads friends who own the oil company, hes killing people for no reason

by the way FDR is by far the best president ever. pulled us out of the depression and won the war

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.