Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Jun 25, 2001.

?

Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
George W. Bush 81 vote(s) 13.2%
William Jefferson Clinton III 191 vote(s) 31.2%
George Bush 5 vote(s) 0.8%
Ronald Reagan 167 vote(s) 27.3%
Jimmy Carter 21 vote(s) 3.4%
Gerald Ford 5 vote(s) 0.8%
Richard Nixon 11 vote(s) 1.8%
Lyndon B. Johnson 6 vote(s) 1.0%
John F. Kennedy 104 vote(s) 17.0%
Dwight D. Eisenhower 21 vote(s) 3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    A safe and happy place to live if you're a Chinese communist campaign-donor. A safe and happy place to live if you weren't in the armed forces, as evidenced by Somalia. A safe and happy place to live if you happy to be a mistress to a married man.
  2. Ben_Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    I think Franklin Roosevelt was the greatest president ever. He brought America (and the rest of the world) out of its darkest hour.

Lincoln would be a close second.

But for the sake of this thread I'll say Clinton.
  3. DARTH_CONFEDERATE Force Ghost

star 5
    George Walker Bush is #1.

#2 I would probably have to say FDR.
  4. Blast Jedi Knight

star 3
    I voted Reagan.Although Im a big supporter of George W. Bush he hasnt reached that level yet.
  5. zvezdy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Reagan. My family knows his, and the entire environment he created was nothing but positives.
  6. Psychiotic_Midget Jedi Knight

star 2
    Now while Reagan was definitely a great President, not *everything* was positive. Nothing with any President was ever entirely positive, with the exception of TR. ;)
  7. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Gerald Ford I mean....

JFK. I voted for JFK.
  8. Psychiotic_Midget Jedi Knight

star 2
    JFK was like FDR, he had a voice and could calm people. JFK went further and was apparently a ladies man. But substance? There was none. Plus, at least FDR was fairly elected. The type of horseplay, dirty politics, backstabbing, ghost-writing and under-the-table money exchanges that took place to set JFK up with the Presidency is apalling.
  9. Force_Prophet Jedi Knight

star 3
    I vote for Clinton, anyone who can clear the American deficit is alright in my book.
  10. shuttle_captain Jedi Knight

star 2
    I cannot believe ANYONE can truthfully (pun-intended) vote for Clinton.
  11. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    Clinton cleared nothing, but he sure took the credit for it.

Look to the Congress, and to Alan Greenspan, for your answer on how we did well economically.
  12. EBSaints Force Ghost

star 6
    Bill Clinton? He did nothing for 8 years
  13. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    And to all you Dubya fans; he's like a cat that craps behind the furniture - you'll be cleaning up his mess in years. Sure, you think "What does an Australian with a masters in international relations know?" but that's cool with me, you just come back to me when it's not just Europe but everyone else who's over the Bush-era America, and then we'll talk. You mock Clinton, but the "I H8 teh America!!1!" mindset got cracking after Clinton left office.

E_S
  14. sellars1996 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Tough choice.

Looking at the list, my first choice as a Republican was Reagan or Nixon. The president I liked the most was Bush 41, but I voted for LBJ simply because of his legislative achievements in civil rights and social programs. Whether they were a success remains to be seen, but a lot of what he did was a continuation of FDR's New Deal. LBJ presided over a growing economy. No one before or since has done as much for the disenfranchised and poor in this country ... but Vietnam bogged down his agenda and ultimately caused him to not run for reelection in 1968.
  15. padawanskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
  16. SithTahiri Jedi Knight

star 3
    Dwight D. Eisenhower. He had a great military career.
  17. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yea, but JFK was going to pull the troops out of Vietnam. But since he was assissnated he couldn't do that.

Now, I'm no expert on Kennedy, but you're saying that he was going to waste American lives to prove a point, and then pull out without accomplishing anything?

Ok:

Clinton: ruined the military, ruined our reputation in the world, and is the reason for the horrible condition the economy was in when Bush inherited it from him. He also refused to take action, and LOST OUR NUCLEAR CODES. From a book called "Dereliction of Duty". That will really make you ashamed for voting for Clinton.

Bush 1: Overall he was decent. Didn't mess things up, he gave us a reason to be confident in our military, winning the first major combat since the debacle in Vietnam. Sufferened through economic problems, but they got better, and Clinton inherited a pretty good economy.

Reagan: Made us proud to be Americans. I know you can't attribute the fall of a juggernaut like the USSR to one man, but Reagan was definately the chief proponent. THis guy had guts, but when you think about it, he never really risked us. He bluffed, knowing exactly what the situation was. He never recklessly threw threats around unless he knew we could back it up or the other country would back down. He was a very smart president, and really brough trespect back to the presidency.

Carter: Not a good president. Period.

LBJ: Don't know much about him.

Ford: Decent president, though he was blackmarked by his pardon of Nixon.

Nixon: Mediocre president. Not the worst, until Watergate. Shameful event in American history, but at least the man resigned instaed of taking America through even more hell.

Kennedy: Didn't do a whole lot. People liked him, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. He seemed like a swindler to me. But he wasn't bad.

Eisenhower: This guy had respect for the office, respect for the military, respect for Americans, and respect for the world. Outstanding American, pretty good president.

Truman: Won World War II, true he dropped the atomic bomb, but looking back on it there's no telling how many millions he may have saved. Another good one, despite his early problems with racism.

Now my vote for the best president in the last 50 years:

George W. Bush:

Gave America hope during the election debacle. While Gore was whining and trying to cheat, he stayed the course, never making a big deal out of anything, and when he did, it was only when Gore wanted "hanging chads" to count, or allowing dead people or convicts to vote for him. Inherited a nose-diving economy, but managed to level it off. It didn't really go up, but at least it didn't nosedive like it did under Clinton. And now, the economy is looking up, he made us proud of our military again after Clinton ruined it. He proved that America was still here to stay. For people who criticise his Homeland Security measures, you've obviously never studied FDR. All you war protesters be glad you weren't locked up, like Bush is allowed to do by law, and many other presidents have done. Now, some of you may not be proud to be AMericans anymore, but that's not Bush's fault, that's the fault of the Democratic left taking pot shots at every little detail. I bet they're getting frustrated tha tevery time they attack him, he goes and fixes whatever they claim is wrong with it.

Sorry if that was little long.
  18. stradman Jedi Knight

star 3
    My vote is with George W. Bush

At the time when we needed a strong leader, one who would not only put up with all the crap our press throws at the office but also had the guts to take out two extremely evil people, Bin Ladin and Hussein. And because he has done his job, which is to defend the United States of America, people want to attack him and the very office which he holds.

Bush gave us hope and was there standing tall when most men would shrink down and cower underneath their desks. He also refused to play the pethetic political games with the UN and NATO. And as long as he is in office we as Americans will not surrender our soveriegnty like some liberal Presidential hopefuls have suggested.

Also, ask your friendly neighborhood accountants or economics experts. The economy is stronger than it has been in a LONG time.

I am proud to be an American and I support my President.
  19. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I am suprised that Reagan has a higher % of the vote than JFK!
  20. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, JFK didn't really do a whole lot, at least not that the majority of people know of. People lik ehimbecause their parents liked him, or because of his charisma. Well, not all people, but a lot. The only things he did that the majority remembers is Vietnam and the Cuban Missile Crisis.
  21. stradman Jedi Knight

star 3
    People also remember JFK because of Camelot. It is a mix of that and the fact that he was so young to take office and he was assasinated.
  22. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    The only things he did that the majority remembers is Vietnam...

No, I don't think many people associate JFK with Vietnam very much. Yes, more military advisors were sent, and there was Diem, but I think most people associate LBJ with escalation in Vietnam (Gulf of Tonkin through Tet), and Nixon with "Vietnamization" of the war, Cambodia and the massive bombings of Hanoi.

JFK: Cuban Missile Crisis, Inaugural address ("ask not what your country can do for you..."), Bay of Pigs, Berlin ("Ich bin ein Berliner"), Peace Corps, "Camelot", Apollo legacy ("we choose to go to the moon, not because it is easy, but because it is hard..."), Nov. 22

I think all of those are associated more with JFK's presidency than anything regarding Vietnam.
  23. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    OK I hate politics but I just cannot let this slide by.

The economy is stronger than it has been in a LONG time.

That is complete horse manure. The economy is horrible and has been for all of Bush's term in office. American unemployment rates are still at decade long highs and our currency is still falling against foreign currency.

Bush is the worst President since his father who was no good either. Reagan is the best.

24. obi_wanmeister Jedi Knight

star 1
    r all those people who voted for Carter -- friendliness and humble beginnings do not a great president make. Were any of you alive during the Carter Administration? Geez...

For all those people who voted for Clinton -- perjury, obstruction of justice, and the largest tax increase in history do not a great prsident make. The historians will not be kind to Mr. Clinton.

For all those people who voted for Kennedy -- you may have a decent argument there, but I bet the reasons I like him and the resons you like him are very different. I hate to break it to you guys, but Kennedy was pretty conservative, especially fiscally, contrary to what Brother Teddy seems to think nowadays. If you liked Kennedy, you'll love George W. Bush.

For all those people who voted for FDR -- Why? Because he expanded government to encompass so much that the founding fathers would've sooner moved back to England than support him? World War II ended the Depression, not FDR.

I like Truman. He was President during a very turbulent time, and we came out of it a superpower.

Eisenhower really didn't do anything, and that's what a President is supposed to do. Well, he did do a few things. He quietly oversaw the US military build-up that deterred the Soviet Union from laying waste to American cities.

Reagan. A conservative hack? That's a little harsh, KR. He practically ended Communism across the globe. [liberal whining]But he ran up the debt![/liberal whining] Uhhh... that was you guys. Remember, Democrats had both houses of Congress for six of his eight years. Congress spends the money. Really they do. It's in the Constitution. The money spent on the military ended the Soviet Union and kept America from becoming a radioactive wasteland. The money the Democrats spent on social programs ended dispair, racism, poverty, the health care "crisis," discrimination, and general unfairness in this country. Oh wait. No it didn't.

Reagan gets my vote, because he respected the office, the Constitution, and America.

Okay, I agree with you on Carter, most historians agree Carter was an awful president.

Clinton's obstruction of Justice is a drop in the ocean compared to Republican Richard Nixon's obstruction of Justice. Clinton was impeached for somethign dealing with his private life. Big difference from his public or presidential life. Lying about an affair does not send over 100,000 troops to Iraq.

Don't but too much stock in Reagan He was not the only factor for the USSR's breakup (if you even want to consider him part of that). I think the economic troubles the USSR was in played a much larger role in its breakup than Reagon, he basically tripled military spending and created a larger gap between the classes with his "trickle-down" economics.

Eisenhower didn't do anything? How about approve the spending of millions of dollars worth on internal approvements?

Say whatever you want about FDR, but historians frown upon his lethargic predecessor, Hoover.
  25. -Lord-Vader- Jedi Grand Master

star 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.