main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who is the main character of the saga? Or is there not one?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ThisHurricane, Oct 13, 2015.

?

Main character

Poll closed Oct 13, 2016.
  1. Anakin

50.0%
  2. Luke

13.2%
  3. Ben

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rey Solo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. There isnt one

28.9%
  6. Darth Vader

7.9%
  1. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    The sagas seen in many ways but who is it to you?

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke and friends are my frame of reference for SW.
    The PT is the backstory.
    The OT is the Adventures of Luke Skywalker.
    The ST? No idea yet.

You should have made Obi-Wan a choice.

3. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    The Skywalker Family so far.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  4. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I would go with Anakin. He appears in all the six movies, while Luke just born in Ep3.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin is the main character

6. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I would say Anakin or there isn't one.

7. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I'd say it's about the Skywalker family as a whole.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "The Star Wars saga is like a symphony, which has recurring themes," he adds, "You have one theme orchestrated in a particular way and place, which then comes back orchestrated as a minor theme somewhere else. There are these little threads running through things that are constantly turning events on their head. You see two people confronting the same things, with different ends. It's a rhythm. I like the idea of seeing something from a different perspective. An advantage I have in this particular situation is that I have literally twelve hours to tell a story. It has the epic quality of following one person from the time he's nine years old to the time he dies. It's Anakin's story, but obviously there are many other characters in that story- his children, his best friend- and their stories carry through. So this isn't just a tune- it's a symphony. When you do it as a symphony, I think it actually becomes beautiful."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 221

"It's a downer, the saving grace is that if you watch the other three movies, then you know everything ends happily ever after. Nevertheless, I now have to make a movie that works by itself but which also works with this six-hour movie and this overall twelve-hour movie. I'll have two six-hour trilogies, and the two will beat against each other: One's the fall, one's the redemption. They have different tonalities but it's meant to be one experience of twelve hours."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith, page 62

Now there is the ST and the focus is more on the newer characters, with the OT characters stories carrying over and the legacy of what Anakin did in those six films carrying over.

9. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    Anakin in the PT, Luke and Vader/Anakin in the OT, ST will be about next generation Skywalker kid(s) AND hopefully Luke as well, with shadows/legacy of Anakin AND Vader.

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    It seems like Episode VII will revolve heavily around Anakin's legacy to the galaxy. Whatever else he is, he's certainly the central figure of the saga taken as a whole. He's so central that he continues to directly influence the course of galactic events even thirty years after his death.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going with "there isn't one."

Both trilogies allow the viewer to focus on whatever character he or she wants. That's one thing that makes Star Wars great.

12. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Anakin. The entire saga focuses on his rise, fall, and redemption. Not sure how VII's going to have anything to do with that if Anakin's dead but I guess we'll see.

13. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    It tells the stories of a galaxy far, far away while also focused on the adventures of the Skywalker family. To me, the "main characters" are the Skywalkers - Anakin, Luke, and whoever it will be in the sequel trilogy.

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    there isn't just one character that it's about, but pretty clearly overall Anakin is the protagonist and Darth Sidious is the antagonist.

15. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I think the Skywalkers are the main characters. All of them: Anakin, Padme', Luke, and Leia. The focus of the franchise has been prominently about them, thus far. The Skywalkers are both the primary protagonists and primary antagonists of the Saga.

Though, I suppose, an argument could be made that Palpatine is indeed the true main character, in that he is the most key character to the entire Saga. Palpatine orchestrated the Clone Wars. He recruited Dooku, Dooku created the Confederacy and the GAR. The Grand Army of the Republic answer to Palpatine. The CIS answer to Dooku, who answers to Palpatine. No Palpatine means no Maul, no Naboo Crisis, no voting out Valorum, no dead Qui-Gon, no Darth Dooku, no Confederacy, no Grand Army, no war, no Order 66, no Empire, no Death Star, no Destruction of Alderaan, and no Galactic scale suffering. Anakin doesn't become a Jedi, but the Jedi also remain alive, so it's mostly win/win. Palpatine is the key to everything here, remove him from the equation, and the Republic simply remains a corrupt pile of dog puke, but then again that's any democracy in a nutshell. :p

sarlaccsaurs-rex and CoolyFett like this.
  16. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I want to say Anakin/ Darth Vader because of the PT-OT, but there's no way he can be so heavily incorporated with the ST right? I mean, I know he's going to be in flashes, maybe even a force ghost possibly...but it can't still be carrying on about the prophecy can it?

I also find your lack of C3PO and R2 options....disturbing. They are the main story tellers of the movies, Lucas said it himself.

17. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The Skywalkers and friends.

18. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Wtf is a rey solo?? Is that EU? As far as the topics question, the answer is Palpatine.

19. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    And im the first member to give you a like?? Thats pathetic, you should have 20 likes to this post right now.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  20. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002

OP was making an assumption on Rey's parentage. One that I don't think is right exactly.

Anyway answer is Skywalker Family and the people around them (Obi-Wan and Han Solo...although you can argue both of them being in the "Family" in some way".

Palaptine is the main antagonist of the series...so yes he is one of the main characters....and again you could argue that he is part of the extended "Family" as well.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  21. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000

I'm not so sure about that. He spends two films as a co-protagonist. He wasn't really one in TPM, he spent half of RotS as a protagonist and I'd argue that even in AotC he spent more time clashing with Obi-Wan, a protagonist proper, than he did clashing against an antagonist. He spent three films as the main antagonist.

As a microcosm for the galaxy at large, he kind of transcends being either. Anakin's soul is what the overarching protagonists (Obi-Wan / Luke) and overarching villain (Palpatine) of the two trilogies are fighting over. In a way it really is all about Anakin but that doesn't make him the protagonist.

22. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    For Star Wars itself, it's the Skywalker family

If we're talking about Episodes I to VI, though, there's only a few candidates:

-Anakin/Vader
    -Obi-Wan Kenobi
    -R2D2
    -C3PO

These are the only characters that appear in all 6 movies. I think we can eliminate R2D2 and C3PO pretty easily. They're definitely important and act as our guides or comedic characters a lot, but I wouldn't say the Saga is about them.

Obi-Wan is in every movie, but he is barely in Episode V (besides a few short scenes as a ghost) or Episode VI (where he has one important conversation with Luke).

So, to me, that leaves Anakin/Vader with the PT being about his fall and the OT being about his redemption if we're looking at it from a Saga perspective.

Depending on how Episodes VII - IX go, though, IV through IX might be the story of Luke Skywalker but we have to wait and see how it plays out.

23. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It looks like Luke to me. When all is said and done, it looks like there will be 9 parts with Luke involved with 6 of them, leaving the prequel trilogy to function as a kind of prologue. But honestly, even if you watch only the first six in Episode Order, Luke still functions as the protagonist, despite only entering the picture half way through. The reason is because he is the character the audience most identifies with as he goes through his changes. Anakin's struggles are a little too exclusive to be the true protagonist.

24. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

That's what I voted for. It could be either Anakin or Luke or both.

25. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Palpatine, until the ST (but who knows his legacy may still have a role in that too.:p )

In the OT, PT, Majority of the EU, and the later seasons of TCW Palpatine was the one behind it all. I would love to see a live action show dedicated to him from his teen years with Plagueis to his entry into politics. .