main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Who is the most famous person you've ever met?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yoda's_Roomate, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    You've achieved more than most people can even attempt to dream of and I am sick with envy.

Yoda's_Roomate likes this.
  2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter films). She's a big cat person, and I like cats well enough too. So I said, "Cats rule!" as I passed by her, and she whooped and gave me a high five.

Also, because I work at the same university where Jadeveon Clowney (first pick overall in the 2014 NFL Draft) played football, I would sometimes see him at the student union while on lunch break. At one point, I almost bumped into him while trying to navigate the crowds in there. Given that I barely come up to his chest and his legs are like tree trunks, I don't think that collision would've gone very well for me. :p

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Back in the 1990s I went to a talk James Watson, co discoverer of the structure of DNA, gave about the Human Genome Project and met him at a reception afterwards.

SuperWatto likes this.
  4. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I met the Band Perry at a free concert and they were really friendly. They spent a few minutes with me and my brothers and took multiple photos.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    a tossup between bill clinton, stephen hawking, and jointheschwarz.

Debo, KnightWriter, EHT and 3 others like this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I met a Grand Admiral.
    !!!!!!

xblackout likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Garrison Keillor, Al Franken, Tom Brokaw, and Stephan Sommers

Sarge likes this.
  8. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    That's awesome! Back in high school some friends and I had a "faux" rap group called Chemical Burn. We all adopted personas based on various chemists and scientists and mine was James Watson, AKA J-Wat.

I was thinking about some earlier folks I've met when I was pretty young: Mel Tillis in Branson, MO. I met Dr. Gangrene, a public access horror host who is pretty widely known now. Growing up outside of Nashville, TN, a few of my friends parents were country music stars. One guy in my neighborhood that I hung out with was the son of country music singer Mila Mason. I met here once at our neighborhood swimming pool.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Met Bill Clinton in 07 when he came to our campus. Also met and had a long conversation with physicist Freeman Dyson in our physics building. I've also briefly met Michael Trucco of BSG fame.

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Merk wins for having met Humpty Hump.

My crowning achievement is that I once got an email from my favorite author Larry Niven, saying "You made my day".
    I guess the only celebrities I've met are local ones: my sister-in-law is a member of Parliament, my cousin is a Senator, and I am acquainted to a former Prime Minister.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  11. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Joe Montana, Marilyn Manson, Dave Grohl, Joel McHale, and Jim Gaffigan (twice).

Not as famous, but my absolute favorites were Jennifer Hale and Ali Hillis (FemShep and Liara T'soni from Mass Effect). Chatted with both for quite some time and they were incredibly sweet.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  12. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999

Larry Niven! on of my sci fi heroes.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Not really a celebrity but people know who he is: Bill Gates. Met him and Melinda years ago.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I briefly met Emanuel Steward in the 90's during the first Detroit UFC for an autograph.

I have been within arms reach of Gordy Howe on two occasions, one of which I was briefly a part of his entourage.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Pffft, I've snuck into that backlot... but, I didn't take any pictures. :p

16. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

I had to do an assessment of the existing plumbing/sewer system in advance of some proposed construction. I documented every toilet, sink, floor drain and hose-bib on the entire back lot, theme park and boardwalk. Suffice to say, I don't care to ever go back to Universal City if I can avoid it.

17. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I enjoy going to autograph signings in both the sports world and the sci-fi world, so I have met a lot of famous people - at roughly $100 a pop (if not more).

Joe Namath seemed like a genuinely nice guy when I met him. Of course, so did O.J. Simpson so that speaks volumes regarding what you can learn in a 60 second interaction. I would say the single nicest guy in terms of interacting with fans, seeming genuinely appreciative of them and going that extra mile to make himself available was Richard Hatch, best known for playing Apollo on the original BSG.

Some of the more surly guys who just want to sign your stupid whatever and get you out of there were Gale Sayers, David Prowse and Larry Bird. But, as with the above, there's no way to know from a single, brief encounter. Could have just been having a bad day or whatever....

18. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Bono, Jack Spong, Peter Mayhew, Dave Prowse. Dave was by far the nicest.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's awesome.

20. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Probably either Stan Lee or Tara Strong.

21. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I would too, that's some pretty bad form man. You need to kneel down like you're tying your shoe and just take a photo without her realizing.

22. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    So ok...Michael Moore, Bruce Campbell, Martin Short, William Forsythe, and the biggest ass ever: Billy Corgan.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think that's even worse form as it's sneaky and kind of creepy.

And actually, it's very common for fans to spot celebrities in the wild and request for a photo op at a comic convention, especially at SDCC. I've met Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, Seth Green and others by just walking by them on the streets of San Diego during ComicCon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Oh and recently Albert Chauvet came over to the table we were having dinner at at LDI last year and introduced himself. That was pretty cool, but he's not exactly famous outside of my industry. Still, we were quite charmed.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000