main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who is the most respected character in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MOC Vober Dand, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Looking at this from a completely different angle, Palpatine was liked and respected by billions as Supreme Chancellor and was no doubt respected by many in the Empire as Emperor too. In the real world, Palpatine is liked by many, many fans and I would say that most people feel that Ian McDiarmid's performances were excellent.

My (somewhat strange) choice: Palpatine.

2. Lord Beaver

Lord Beaver Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2014
    I honestly believe Obi-Wan is more respected than Yoda. Just my opinion.

3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Lord Chazza I agree about Palpatine. He's a decidedly nasty piece of work obviously, but he's an excellent character, well played. Those things together command a degree of respect. Personally, I'm more of fan of 'Palpatine' than I am 'Sidious', who for me, particularly in the PT, veers a little too far into the territory of the pantomime villain for my liking.

By the way, thanks you all for your diverse and interesting thoughts on this.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's funny, I was thinking of this thread earlier today and I thought of Palpatine. There's a thread that's over ten years old dedicated to Ian's performance that's still active today, so I'd say that he's definitely very popular

Ananta Chetan and MOC Yak Face like this.
  5. BigStupidJellyfish

BigStupidJellyfish Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2014
    I'd say either Yoda or R2. It's hard to narrow it down though when you're talking about a franchise as big as Star Wars. Especially since even the most minor background characters can end up with a huge following.

6. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014

Though I personally like Obi-Wan more than Yoda, there are people who criticize him (unfairly, IMO) for being responsible for Anakin's fall or not being a caring enough Master. I've even heard some pretty vitriolic stuff about how he lied to Luke about Anakin/Vader. But Yoda gets criticized too, so it's hard to say.

Like some of the others here, I might have to go with R2-D2.

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I think even Palpatine respected Yoda in some aspects.

8. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Yoda's voice is par for a lot of jokes.

9. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I think the PT improved people's love for Obi-Wan. For the last 2 years, Disney has done a March Madness 64 character Star Wars elimination tournament with Internet voters determining the winners (this coincides with a big 64-team college basketball tournament in the US). Respondents were supposed to choose their favorite Light side and Dark side characters. In the 1st year, Obi-Wan took 2nd for the good guys, just being edged out by Yoda, and Yoda went on to win the tournament defeating Vader. The 2nd year, Obi-Wan barely edged out Yoda, and defeated Vader in the final match-up. (Obi also beat Han 2 to 1.) I'm pretty certain that Kenobi wouldn't have gone so far if there had never been the PT, and I couldn't see Guinness's Kenobi beating out Han. I think women particularly dig McGregor's Kenobi as an honorable incorruptible hero.

Probably the least criticized character is Artoo. Nobody seems to dislike him. Yoda and Obi-Wan are probably more respected than Artoo, as Artoo is brave but not especially wise. However, Yoda and Obi have more faults. Obi-Wan's appear more in the OT, while Yoda's occur in the PT, but I think Yoda's flaws are pretty minimal. There's no issue with his character, but more, some people think he makes some bad strategic mistakes.

Qui-Gon is certainly up there with Yoda and Obi-Wan, which, if you think about it, is pretty impressive since they disagree with him on some key points. That you end up respecting all three of them says something about their performances and their characterizations. In films, typically if 2 guys disagree, one ends up appearing like the good guy while the other looks like a jerk.

Vader and Palpatine also demand a lot of respect, though of a different kind. If you look at Vader as the Jedi do, as a new identity totally separate from Anakin, then Vader may demand the most respect in the Saga, in the form of an intimidating type of respect. However, most people think of Anakin/Vader as one, and Anakin's constant whining in AOTC and just seeing him as 9-year-old lowers Vader a few notches. Palpatine is also a pretty great personification of evil, but his is different from Vader's. He's more the evil genuis manipulative puppet-master. Even the most ardent PT-bashers admit he's pretty great in the PT, and I think his character is consistently effective throughout the Saga, so he may be the most respected major character who receives the least fan criticism.

10. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan and Qui Gonn. I'd say Qui Gonn is a tad bit more popular than Obi-Wan.

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Qui Gonn is probably the most respected after TCW.

12. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    There's different kinds of respect aren't there? Luke, Quigon, Obiwan are all respected because they're generally regarded as fairly decent human beings. Vader and Palpatine are respected because of their power and their status as characters, notwithstanding their traits as people.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Gonna go out on a limb and say Wedge. He is the only relatively minor character in the OT that we see survive the whole time. He took on two death stars, destroying one of them with Lando and he was the one not Luke who took down the walkers in ESB. Luke had to order him out of the trench in ANH otherwise he would have stayed and died with Biggs.

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    A real shame that Denis Lawson isn't interested in reprising his role for the ST :/

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

15. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Seagoat, I know. He has kind of soured on SW. During the late nineties early 2000's I remember he still voiced Wedge for a video game or two. One thing I dislike about the new Book contiunity is that the Rogue Squadron books and comics are now Legends, I.e. they do not count to Disney as canon.Those were with the Tales of the Jedi Comics what got me into the EU when I was 9-12 years old.

16. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Yes I was def going to say Palpatine. Such an Indepth well rounded character. Plus he's the best actor in the series. What isn't there to like

17. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Another is R2, I noticed that he seems to have the same amount of luck as Han Solo, he managed to survive all six films and probably the next trilogy. Plus, as other's have said he's perhaps the least hated character of all.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'd say Obi-Wan is the most respected character in general. Han is more gushed over, but only by a certain part of fandom.

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Bail Organa, R2, and Yoda

Yanksfan, darth car and MOC Yak Face like this.
  20. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm probably a part of the 'certain part of fandom' of which you speak, but I agree that Han is too polarising to be among the most respected. For every gusher there's someone who loathes Han as though he's Hannibal Lecter.

Yanksfan likes this.
  21. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Yoda was the first one to jump to mind, but actually, it's probably R2. I can honestly say I've never heard anyone say a negative thing about him. Personally, I'm borderline indifferent when it comes to R2, but I certainly don't harbor any bad feelings about him.

And I agree about Han. I love him, but I've spent waaaay too much time on these boards defending him, so I wouldn't think for a second he would be considered "the most respected" character. You could make a decent argument for Leia though.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  22. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I think its safe to say it's definitely not Jar Jar, Wicket, Porkins, Orn Free Taa, Jabba, Dexter, C-3P0, Max Reboo, D-squad guy, Admiral Ozzel, Boss Nass, Admiral Ackabar, Uncle Owen, or Aunt Beru.

Obi-wan maybe, but his character isn't without faults( like the whole certain point of view thing of not telling Luke the truth)

23. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    R2D2

24. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    From the way that Star Wars has been marketed... the two main characters that seem to keeping popping up are R2D2 and Vader. I think those are the two characters that non-fans or casual fans recognize the most. So I will say those two.

25. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    If we're talking about respect from the general public, I think a lot of people I've encountered, including non-fans hold Han in high regard. Many like that he's a badass who takes **** from nobody.