main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the story really about???

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthMyBoy, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    I didnt see this posted anywhere so I wanted to ask...Who is the entire Star Wars saga about in your mind??? Anakin or Luke. To me it is Anakins's story, the entire saga is about Anakin although some OT lovers will contradict that. What do you all think???

2. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Without a doubt Anakin.

3. --Darth_Dude--

--Darth_Dude-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2004
    uh... that little kid that says "yippee!!" in TPM.. what was his name again?

:p :D

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Salacious Crumb.

(Okay, fine, Anakin.)

the entire saga is about Anakin although some OT lovers will contradict that.

I am quite the OT lover myself and I do not contradict it in the least.

Here's how I see it:
    Eps 123: about Anakin
    Eps 45: about Luke
    Ep 6: about Luke and Anakin
    OVERALL: Anakin

Just because the saga is about Anakin doesn't mean that every single part of it is about him.

If you were to watch the first ten minutes of ANH by themselves you wouldn't think the movie was about Luke in the least, yet I think we can all agree he plays an important role. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    They are all about Anakin/Vader. That is the story. Should this really be a thread. I don't really see much opposition to the idea of the story being about Anakin. Lucas has said it enough.

6. one-jedi

one-jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2003
    Yeah it is Anakin mainly Lucas has said so. Althouh the Ot or second half of the saga is equaly if not more about Luke.

7. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    George Lucas.

Farmboy from a small town (Lucas), is aimless and a bit of a slacker. Major incident forces a re-think (Lucas' car crash/Owen and Beru's murder), decides to follow a different path(Filmmaking/Jedi).

Before all this the young man is under pressure from the male parent to follow a sensible career(Lucas dad wanted him to go into the stationary business/ Owen wants Luke to stay and work on the farm).

Young man teams up with a rougish, charasmatic, sometimes selfish hero (Han Solo/Francis Ford Coppola).

Is guided by older, wiser, more knowledgable people (Obi-Wan,Yoda / Joseph Campbell, Coppola again, Kurosawa's movies).

Young man joins a bunch of rebels (the group of filmmakers who left Hollywood and set up camp in San Fransisco).

Takes on an Empire(Hollywood), and defeats it.

Well that's the OT anyway.

But in story terms the whole thing is about Anakin.

8. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    Well it could be retittled the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker.. so I guess that answers that question..

IT is Anakin.. Anakin....Anakin....Anakin.....

9. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    The whole saga COULD be about luke, the SW theme IS Lukes theme for Godssake!

But yeah, Anakin/Vader, is more likely, its just that the last shot of the saga is of Luke and his friends NOT Anakin and co.

10. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    But ah, my girlfriend Miba is right:

Its all about the DROIDS!

11. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    It's about the fans.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The story is about Anakin's rise, fall, and redemption.

13. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It's about the Rise, Fall and Redemption of Anakin Skywalker

-Jedi Master Zax Starwalker

14. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    It is about a young boy called George and his quest to expand his wallet, his girth, and his flannel collection ;)

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, the story is about Anakin now, but it always wasn't that way. The title on the front of the ANH novel says, "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" (or something along those lines). But, there is also a source that says that the films are really about the droids. And now, when Lucas decided to go ahead and make th PT, he changed it to Anakin's story.

So now, I ask you...which one is it?

16. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    He didn't change anything. It was always about Anakin.

17. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, whatever they may be, are part of Anakin's story.

Just because ANH is not particularly about Anakin doesn't mean the saga as a whole isn't about Anakin.

If anyone's read The Two Towers -- "Book III" doesn't have Frodo or the Ring in it at all, yet I think we can all agree that the LOTR story certainly has quite a lot to do with Frodo and the Ring.

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    And what a pity that is.

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    He didn't change anything. It was always about Anakin.

Actually he did. Back before Lucas decided to even make the PT, he said that the story of Star Wars was about the droids. He turned that around and made it Anakin's story when the SE was released and he was certain that the PT would be made.

20. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    The old trilogy was always made to focus on Luke, and nothing in the prequels can change that. Unlike Frodo's story, which runs parallel to the other stories, Anakin's journey ends in Episode III. Bringing him back was Luke accomplishment, and is only part of ROTJ. Anakin has no journey through ANH and ESB; he is a static character there.

21. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Bib and others are right. It is about Anakin.

It was never about the driods. They are a literary device. The narrators of the story so to speak.

You can also look at the Star Wars saga as the story of the Skywalker family. There are few scenes in the 5 movies that don't feature Anakin/Vader or Luke or Leia or Padme or even the driods R2 (Padme's) and C-3P0 (Anakin's)

22. --Darth_Dude--

--Darth_Dude-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2004
    IMO, it's totally different. The story isn't about Anakin or Luke, it's about both. It's about us. Luke and Anakin reflect both sides of mankind, and the story can't bring over the message without either of them.

Anakin and Luke are the mirrors which we are supposed to look in. The story is about us... yourself, ultimately.

just my 2 cents...

23. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    A large part of ESB is very much about Anakin. The search for his son is what drives the story and the plot.
    To say Anakins story ends after Ep3 is wrong.

24. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Luke's journey to become a Jedi is what drives the old trilogy. Anakin's journey to become a Jedi drives the prequels. His redemption isn't the dominant story in the old trilogy, as there is no redemption, or even a hint of it, in the first two films. His redemption happens solely in Return of the Jedi, and that possibility doesn't even enter into the picture until 30 minutes into it. Anakin's redemption is Luke's mission, and part of his own journey. Lucas never made the originals to be about Vader, and never claimed they were about Vader until 12 years later. Anakin is as much the hero of the old trilogy as Padme is the heroine.

25. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I think it's about both Luke and Anakin and that there is a distinct and literal passing of the lightsaber that happens between the two trilogies.

Darth Vader haunts the OT as a shadow of what Luke stands to become. He isn't a static character and does change as Luke starts to impact his life again, but Vader is a symbol of evil that Luke has the potential to embrace.

Viewed as a saga, while Anakin's story does parallel the rise of the empire and fall of the republic, Luke's story parallels the rise of the Rebellion and the determination to overcome society's past mistakes.

Of course, Lucas' strength as a filmmaker is in the Editing, and he has control over the final edit.

The safe answer is R2-D2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.