main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the successor to Kubrick's throne?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by ParanoidAni-droid, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

This is something my friend and I have been going back and forth on ever since the Maestro's departure in 1999. Since then we believe we've come to a consensus on who the new king of the kingdom is. I'll reveal that candidate later, after some of you guys have submitted your nomminations. Of course, Kubrick's right to that throne is debatable in itself but for the sake of furthering this discussion, let's start somewhere.

Consider the respective filmmaker's filmography, of course, but also consider things like versatility, understanding of the medium, film's social impact (was their films a phenomena or did they fall into obscurity-- both are qualifiers), etc.

Oh, and I promise to spank the first person who says, "this belongs in the kubrick discussion thread." This discussion has little to nothing to do with Kubrick.

~PAd

2. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    I dont think there's anyone out there who can make films like Kubrick did. No one else has made me think so much about movies, and done it on a consistent basis. Some directors have a movie that harkens back to Kubrick but they fail to follow through with movie after movie. (ie Fincher, Burton, et. al) The closest anyone has come would be early-Speilberg in his Jaws-Close Encounter-ET era. Steven has had a few films since then, (Schindler's List and AI being the two.) but he's turned into a director and moned away from being a storyteller.

3. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    What exactly are you looking at here? Be more specific in your question. First off Kubrick was good but not great. He has no throne in my opinion.

His best movies to me are the following.

A Clockwork Orange

The Shining

Full Metal Jacket

I think the directors of the future are the following.

Sam Mendes -American Beauty and Road to Perdition

M. Night Shyamalan-Sixth Sense and Signs

Guy Richie-Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch

Sam Raimi-Paid his dues with countless films and is now going to get more acclaim then ever after Spiderman.

David Fincher-Seven, The Game, Fight Club, Panic Room.

I think these are your next big wave coming in and not going anywhere.

4. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Shyamalan, Burton and Fincher are the only ones I think. But they all have radically different styles.

Odd thing, I can't but help feel had Lucas keep directing, that he may have been the closest of them all.

5. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Odd thing, I can't but help feel had Lucas keep directing, that he may have been the closest of them all.

To paraphrase Francis Ford Coppolla:
    "Star Wars robbed the world of a great director."

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Kevin Smith?? :)

*ducks*

7. jc_stratus

jc_stratus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    i actually believe kevin smith could make an amazing serious movie

8. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    I'd say M. Night Shyamalan. All 3 of his major movies are fantastic, and ever since Signs he has been my favorite director.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.