main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who is the TRUE main character of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Smelly Wookies, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Smelly Wookies

Smelly Wookies Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2015
    I was reading an article few hours back on the debate between the main character of a story, and the protagonist. I learned that even though many stories are based on the idea that the two are one, it taught that there are other stories that, in fact, have them both as separate characters. He defines it, that a protagistinst is a character in the story that the reader witnesses change, and grow throughout the story. He's the one driving the story. Then, a main character is not that, but WHOM the story is told from, their perspective.

Like for example, in the Shawshank Redemption. Andy is clearly the protagonist, as we witness change and grow, and that he's also the guy moving the plot along. Without Andy, we wouldn't have a story. But its Red is whom we get to learn that story from. He's the one really giving us the story, and the one whole we're emotionally involved with. Hence, making him not the Protagonist, since it isn't his story, but the Main Character, the guy who's affected by all of it. If so, then how could we apply that to Star Wars (IV - VI)?

I guess we can all agree that Luke is clearly the Protagonist, since its his story, and he's the one driving the plot in a way. Without him, there would be no Star Wars. But who would be the MAIN CHARACTER is my question. Are both of the roles played by Luke in the story, or like Red in Shawshank, there's a nother character whom perspective we get to learn Luke's story from.

If so, then who it might be? If if so, what are some other good examples of separate main characters and protagonists in books, movies or TV Shows?

2. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Considering all six films, I think the idea is that Anakin/Vader is the main character. He tragically falls in the PT and is redeemed in the OT by his son. Luke is the guy we see the most of in the OT, but he's a more of a secondary main character. The saga is largely told thru the eyes of Obi-Wan and the droids, though. At least that's my take on it.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd probably go with Anakin/Vader, but one nice thing about Star Wars is that it covers the journeys of many characters.

4. Obi Wan Kenobi.

Obi Wan Kenobi. Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2015
    I'd say that Anakin/Darth Vader is the main character but, like The Shawshank Redemption (my favorite movie of all time), the protagonist is a different person. I think that person is Obi Wan.

5. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Star Wars Saga ( movies + TCW(mostly) ) =Anakin Skywalker(Fall,Rise and Redemption)
    Besides that there is Luke's Hero Journey in IV-VI and somewhat Obi Wan Kenobi fits as a protagonist in I-III .
    Of course the good thing about Star Wars is that are many heroes and relatable characters to choose from :) .

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    R2-D2: He's the only character in all six films, who doesn't die and retains his entire memory. He's the only character at the end who actually has a point of view on the events of all the films.

propeller and Saga Explorer like this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    R2-D2 is the narrator, Skywalkers are the protagonists.

8. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Luke Skywalker. Duh.

9. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I would say the Skywalkers and friends are the main characters.

Though one could argue it's Anakin Skywalker. The PT were his earlier years and his turn. The OT were final years and redemption. The ST will be his legacy.

10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Moving to Saga.

OT = Luke
    PT = Anakin

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would have two say Vader/Anakin because Luke is only seen in 4 of the 6 movies.

12. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Anakin Skywalker.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I would say either Sidious or Luke.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't think the Saga is meant to highlight or elevate one person in particular. Rather, the Saga is an Ensemble piece. Each character has an important part to play in the story and does something to cause the story to progress. Also, each character has their own arc that is fulfilled throughout the movies. It's very easy to boil it down to Anakin and Luke as the two main protagonists, with Anakin now being the one with the much larger role, but that's making it too simplistic for my tastes. I think the characters are of equal standing.

16. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    With the new trilogy coming out I think each trilogy will have their own main character, or at least that how the fans will come to think of it. Well, I am sure this is how I will come to think of it.

Prequel Trilogy: Anakin Skywalker (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padme Amidala)
    Classic Trilogy: Luke Skywalker (Han Solo, Princess Leia)
    Sequel Trilogy: ???

This is just making me realize how excited I am to see the journey of the new "big 3" in the upcoming new trilogy.

Saga Explorer and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    No one.

Luke's the main character of the OT, but the PT as a whole doesn't have a central protagonist, despite GL's attempts to make Anakin the focus by the time of ROTS, and the Anakin/Vader storyline throughout the OT is too tangential in SW/ANH and ESB to say that it's a direct continuation of Eps I-III at a personal level.
    Anakin's story simply isn't prominent enough in TPM, SW/ANH and ESB to say that he's the main character of all six films. He's the focus of AOTC and ROTS, then his story is properly resumed in ROTJ.

ATMachine and MOC Yak Face like this.
  18. Rtwofan

Rtwofan Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2015
    If you are talking about all six films together, there is only one main character in all of them, R2-D2. 3P0 is a sidekick.

mes520 likes this.
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    There are multiple heroes and villains , but The main Protagonist is Anakin Skywalker, and the main Antagonist is Darth Sidious.

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Interesting idea.

Well the protagonist is Anakin Skywalker who becomes Darth Vader and the antagonist is Palpatine/Darth Sidious.

From the above description you give then you could assign Luke Skywalker as the main character as the story of IV-VI is centred around him and his perspective. It's a shift really as while Anakin is the protagonist it's not actually revealed in story terms that Palpatine actually is the antagonist Darth Sidious.

Sure we know but in story there is no reveal of Palpatine is Sidious until halfway through ROTS. It's only there he is fully revealed as the antagonist and Anakin is too young to be the prime protagonist of TPM while Qui-Gon is the main character. Anakin takes over as the main character for AOTC and ROTS while Luke takes on both main and protagonist while Vader becomes one of the sub-antagonists in ANH with Tarkin and main in TESB while sliding back as Sidious takes his place back after moving to the side for ANH and TESB.

So really it's a shifting scale for each of those over the saga.

Thoix Heoro and Saga Explorer like this.
  21. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    In the OT I'd say Luke and Vader are the two main characters
    In PT Obi-wan and Anakin are the main characters

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  22. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    As far as I´m concerned there is not any main character in the saga, it´s an ansamble piece. It´ s one of the many things I like about the films.

23. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    OT: Luke
    PT: Anakin/Vader

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  24. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    I think, according to your defintion, the protagonist is Anakin / Vader. However, I don't think there is a main character through who's eyes we witness the story. If the 6 film saga were told as a single story in a book it would be told from what is called the 'God Perspective', whichI think means from the point of view of someone who can see everyone all the time and moves where the action is.

This 'God perspective' makes things easier to put together but weakens the narrative strength of the story. I think stories told from one, single perspective tend to be much stronger and more intimate but that format does limit what bits of the story you can show at any one time. That said, the limits imposed by having a main character can be used to great effect in terms of suspense...e.g. in Shawshank, when Red doesn't know that Andy has escaped, just that he hasn't come out of his cell for role call., or another example of using a single perspective main character to great effect is in Blade Runner with the noir-type detective voice-over which I adore.

I think some writers sort of split the difference and use a main character per scene, so that although the main character changes, there is still a point of reference for each part of the story. I think this is a good way of giving a story the strong narrative drive you get when you have a main character and still being free to allow your readership / audience know things that are not know by any single character.

I wonder if, in 20 years time, a team planned to reshoot the whole saga which narrative format would we, as an audience, prefer? I'd go for 1st person or 3rd person, but a single main character.

(PS: smelly-wookies - Good question - I enjoyed thinking about this!)

Smelly Wookies likes this.
  25. Smelly Wookies

Smelly Wookies Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2015
    Best explanation yet. I total agree with you man. A limited, more 'compact' narrative would in fact make for a stronger story. Just look at great films like the Godfather, or the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Also, speaking on old classics, who could give examples of movies that have made the split between the main and the protagonist.

For example: Indiana Jones, Jaws, E.T?