main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA who is the website designer?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by _Darth-Revan_, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Darth-Revan_

_Darth-Revan_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2008
    the website has benn like it is for how long... i think someone should make a few changes... LIKE...UPCOMING EVENTS, MEMBER PROFILE, ETC!!!
    somebody should do it (not that im REQUESTING that I do it)(I'll do it... im good at that sorta thing) its really getting annoying, it says SOON!!! but how long ago was that?

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I have to agree. Who has the pass words please? We know Skipp is just too busy with RL to do it, and if someone is offering, I think we should accept the offer. It looks bad when we are handing out business cards with that address and that site doesn't change from month to month, or longer.

3. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    I can't disagree with that, if someone has the time & know how to make us a kick a$#@@ site, please please please put your hand up, I would love for us to have a really great web site

4. _Darth-Revan_

Aug 18, 2008
    you took the words right out of my mouth... i think it looks a bit bad too...
    *opens internet...*
    *types in url...*
    *stares at screen...*
    *throughs modem out the window yelling 'change damn you!'*
    *brings modem inside...*
    *posts dissapointment...*

5. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    It doesn't look bad it's a clean and nice design actually. *sigh*

I've passed on the FTP details to DM, but I'm more than happy for someone else to update the past and upcoming event details as required. I would like to do some more fancy stuff, but until i start my online business early next year, I'll be working full time at my work and just simply dont have the time. I'd prefer the design of the site to be left alone unless major changes are perceived as being needed. This is at least the third time I've said this!!!

Edit: if people are happy with DR updating it I can give him the details. Or Jen is happy to do it too.

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Its not the design that was ever an issue Skipp it was the updates and event reports etc that weren't going up. I can totally appreciate your real life taking priority and really understand that you cannot keep up. If RD is offering just to keep the latest events updated and other smaller things, then maybe the help is welcome. You guys can possibly discuss the 'members profile' section and Skipp explain to RD what he wants and work as a team on it. ;) Just thoughts and ideas here.

7. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Absolutely :)

I just get annoyed at the short memory and demands from DR because we did this merry go round a few weeks back...and they say older people have bad memories ;)

DR: send me your email address and we can chat.

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Sounds good. DR Maybe next time PM Skipp or Master Skywalker before starting a whole thread on this subject. ;) Communication lines must be kept open and most of us have such busy lives that things slip our minds. So if there is an issue you want to take up, talk to the ones in charge and get help to sort it out. ;)

9. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    IIRC, the last time this was brought up, it was by Darth Rha'dei, atleast a month before Darth Revan had joined, so he would have no knowledge that its been brought up before. :)

Perhaps check the persons username before jumping to conclusions? :p

10. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Whoops, I did get my DRs confused. Apologies. It seems we have a few DR web designers.

11. Commander_Barriss

Commander_Barriss Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2008
    I think that Skipp has done a really good job with the website but it really does need updating, Starcoll and I looked for a really long time for a SW group to be a part of and we didn't come across you guys till recently and once we found the website it didn't have any events that we could go to to meet you guys so it makes it hard when it's not getting updated not just for existing members but also for new people who want to join in especially when were handing out cards with the site on it and they get there and have no way to know where we'll be. So if some one wants to update i say go for it.

12. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    I think this is a BIG problem for us, if people like Starcol & CB are looking for a local SW club & we don't come up then that's a problem. I'm not net savvy enough to know why that is, perhaps someone else knows?

I just typed in Star Wars South Australian fan club & we were no where to be seen, that's bad.

Then there's the seperate issue of if someone does" stumble" upon us, it looks like we don't have anything on the go.

I hope that someone can help us out with those problems because I've always believed that Adelaide has more SW fans than the 25 people who post here, they just don't know how to find us or can't find us when they look :(

13. _Darth-Revan_

Aug 18, 2008
    wait what? this is the only time that more than 1 person has ever made less than no sense than me would someone please explain?

i can do it just tell me what you want and ill do it... its just those little things left unfinished that can be a problem

that happened to me too i searched for about 3 years till i met Cho-Junn:mad: (where were you all those years)and found out about SAFF (i had been to theforce.net many of times before) and when i went to the site a couple of times i thought !AWESOME LAYOUT! but they need to update those little things

p.s instead of mixing DR with me call me RD instead of DR (my initials are RD) (LOL the power of initials is strong with me)sorry for any inconvenience

14. Commander_Barriss

Commander_Barriss Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2008
    Ok (Its Starcoll1 here) well its very easy if we do not UPDATE our website more frequently and have more FRESH presprective given (new ideas) we are going to find it even harder to organise new members or even just common interest if you want the truth we only quickly glanced at the saff website before we even joined in which i owe thanks to GURI and ALF, M.S. and S.P. other wise we still would be looking. Personally I myself fully support the new ideas that M.S. has and i know that SAFF's Interests regarding our love for STAR WARS would never be neglected for Saff to move foward it would be a huge advantage if their can be more frequent updates with a much higher support from ALL MEMBERS!! I personally think that we have something very special here and it should never be neglected if we are to consider new projects in the future we need to start organising our selves now!!!!!

15. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    :eek: That, is a problem ! We should be easier to find than that. What do we have to do to make it so that if some one searches "South Australian Star Wars Fan Club" our site can be found ? It really should be that easy, or some people are not going to bother.

DR, you can't be RD either as we have Reactor Drone:p We're stuck with the confusion *lol*

This is the first year in many years that we've actually increased membership rather than shrinking & it's been fantastic, but that happened through a lot of hard work, it should be easier for people to find us.

So DR, you would be happy to help with content of the SAFF website, updating things and giving it a fresh coat of paint ?

16. _Darth-Revan_

Aug 18, 2008
    im fresh out of paint... lol
    but yeah im happy to update things... assuming its okay with everyone

and yes 3 YEARS!!!

I Know... call me AWESOME! OR... i got nothin

17. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    Do we have anyone else who'd like to update the site too ? (did Darth Radei say he'd do it too, I can't remember)DM, Skipp, ??We can share the responsibilities between a couple/few people, but I would ask that if you do put up yourhands, that you have the dedication & the time required to do the job. I can help them out with pics to upload if you like :)

18. Darth_Rhadei

Darth_Rhadei Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2008
    Sorry I didn't put my input sooner. I've been away this weekend at Darth_Ashara's house.
    Before I continue, may I point out I only offered to change the format of the website so that
    it would be easier to update on a regular basis. I have learned a few tricks in php that I thought would
    serve us well.

It was not I that suggested an overhaul of the main site, merely a conversion too a better format.

Now, I am still able to do the conversion. Yes, however a complete overhaul in my honest opinion is not really
    necessary nor would I have the influence/time to create a brand new theme for the site.

As for the suggested idea of a new banner, I have had some time to think on it, but the ideas I had
    required a photoshoot, as I am not particuarly brilliant with PSCS3, So I can't magically insert people
    into shots with other people in specific poses etc. (I have a vision of MS vs (Whoever owns a Darth Vader suit)
    as one photo) ... off topic now.. I'll shut up.

19. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    [face_laugh] Not too bad when you come up at the first hit in Google MS. But then there's no way to find the SAFF page from there.

Probably need more referral pages linking onto the SAFF page and some meta text in the HTML for the web crawlers to latch on to.

But probably an easy thing for improving the search would be to actually to put some key words (Star Wars Fan Club Fan Force Adelaide etc etc) on the front page for the search crawlers to index.

20. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    I noticed the article too DM *lol* I told them about the SAFF web site address too, doh, but it was about the book not actually us after all *lol*

after your first line, I understood none of the rest..HTM...wha..?? link,threads etc...:confused:

as for web crawlers, I thought that was "Spiderman":confused:

21. Darth_Rhadei

Mar 15, 2008
    HTML stands for Hyper-Text Markup Language. Basically, the website you see is written as a code, which takes information from various points specified, and puts it all into viewable content seen by the human eye.

Web crawlers, are basically search bots. They practically attach themeselves to websites etc so that search engines can find them easier/quicker.

22. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    ahh, I see....:confused:

do you want to help with the web site too DR with DR or is it just DR so far ?o_O

23. Darth_Rhadei

Mar 15, 2008
    *Shrugs* I am confused about whats going on.

24. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    I'm a goose - I thought that was the first thing I did, but it's not there...oops!

Googling 'South Australian Fan Force' gets it as the first hit, but having some other related pages linking to it would be good too.

If DR (one of them ;) ) could help with PHP for the content, that would be good too. If I wasn't at work now, that's what I'd be mucking around with... *sigh*

25. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    I would hope it would, that's our full name *lol* which implies people know exactly what they are looking for which people don't before they join up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.