main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the worst couple?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_Master_Allya, Jun 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Worst would be Nightlily and Feltipern trevagg, Ewwwwww.

2. MJ.Frodo

MJ.Frodo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2000
    Luke and Callista
    Wedge and the blue angel

Mara and Luke have a great warm and loving relationship in the NJO,Leia and Han were the more worst couple in the NJO imo,while have had big problems

3. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    Daala and that guy from PoT.
    Or heck ; Daala and anyone

4. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    I'm not sure a couple in crisis can be considered "the worst couple." In the real world (must be having a lucid moment here ;) ), all couples have their hard times, and Han and Leia are no different. I think that their problems in the NJO, while they could have been elaborated upon, were beleiveable in that they were together for over 20 years, and no couple can be happy and in love every moment of that time. The important thing is that they made their way back to each other. IMO, at least. :)

5. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I still think Leia and Bria are very much the same and i say in Brias position Leia would have acted the very same way.

Come on, how do you find a solution that makes everybody happy if the side wants the money for its work and the other side needs every single bit of it.

And when Han was taken hostage during the Black-Fleet-Crisis, Leia was willing to give him up, too (of course this is EU, but so is the Han-Solo-Triology).

Oh, well.

Another suggestion for the worst couple:

Palpatine and Ysane Isard.

How about that ?

6. Shedao_Shai

Shedao_Shai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2001
    For me, its Admiral Daala and Grand Moff Tarkin hands down. Daala looks pretty sexy :). I dont see how she'd end up with slimy Tarkin. Pellaeon or Hethrir is more her type. (ms. Forge and Zekka Thyne from Rogue Squadron was another nasty couple. Also, Gav and Jori Daragon come pretty close to incest.!)

7. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Leia and bria are nothing alike really. Sure they both fought for the rebellion but other than that... Leia was a strong leader who was always very virtuous and moral. bria was hell-bent on revenge and nothing else. she was fighting for herself unlike Leia who was fighting for freedom for all people of the galaxy.

And bria was clingy. For ten years after she left Han she thought about him constantly and wanted to get back together. Han on the other hand moved on quickly and had a bunch of other girlfriends some of whom he did love. Get over bria! You left him, but it's not the end of the world- move on.

And the situation in RD and the Black Fleet trilogy is different. In RD bria betrays Han when she promised she wouldn't. In Tyrant's Test, Leia doesn't betray him; she, despite that fact that she doesn't want to, will let him die so the billions of others in the Republic can live. It's another example of Leia's selflessness and caring that she's willing to sacrifice the love of her life for the Republic and for it's ideals. bria just out and lied to Han.

Anyways, I always thought Lando and Mara were a little off too. For awhile there it seemed like they'd be getting together which would have been crazy. I'm gald she and Luke eventually got married.

8. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    How about

R2-D2 & C3-PO?

Han & Chewbacca?

Anakin & Tahiri?

9. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    May I refer everyone to a source that is considered to be canon, the ANH radio drama. The rebellion was reluntant to pay Han Solo the money that he was promised because they had so little. It was Leia who insisted that he be paid. So Leia was in the same position as Bria, and she reacted differently. This was during a time that she wasn't even emotionally evolved with him.

Han and Leia are also described as having a special, deep love for each other. This is from another Canon source. The novelization of ROTJ. The fact that they still have that deep, special love for each other after 20 years, and after all of the ups and downs that they have been through, says a lot right there.

As far as worse couple, I think that Ackbar and Winter or Wedge and Qwi gets my vote.

10. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Leia and Bria are nothing alike, except that they fought for the same cause. Bria is an example of how far Leia could have fallen over Alderaan and her ideal on the Death Star but didn't. Bria's very characters shows how strong and noble Leia is when you see how far Bria fell over her ideal in the spice mines. Leia was introduced in SW as a symbol of purity and idealism, someone who was a good leader and moral and selfless. Bria on the other hand was ruthless and morally ambiguous, someone who wasn't fighting for the good of the people like Leia was, but for her own selfish reasons of revenge. Han could never truly love anyone like that; he's not a sap, but he always has had a good heart.

When Leia was given the choice to make those who had destroyed Alderaan pay, she refused, because of her morals and ideals. Compare this to Bria who showed no mercy whatsoever when she encountered slavers.

Leia would have never backstabbed Han the way Bria did. See Ginger's post above for evidence of this. She is too honourable a person to backstab and cheat. As for the BFC, that is a different situation entirely. First let me say I felt BFC was very off character with Leia from the movies, but in terms of the situation Leia was placed in, she was being selfless and willing to sacrifice the one person in life who meant everything to her so billions of others could live. She wasn't backstabbing Han or lying to him. He knew what she would chose when he was held prisoner.

Leia would also never leave Han for the reasons Bria did in TPS. They are a couple who has stayed together through better or worse, through all the hardships and curve balls life has thrown at them, and the bond between them has only strengthened. The fact that they are still together for twenty years, even after everything they have gone through, shows how much they love each other. Yes, their problems in the NJO could definitely have been extended on more (which is mostly a fault of Knightfall being cancelled) but the important thing is that they found each other again. Many weaker couples whose bond is not so strong would have broken up in that situation. Those two love each other so much they will do anything to stay married to each other.

11. Piett_clone

Piett_clone Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2000
    Lando and Tendra.
    that is the dumbest thing ever. whoever's idea it was to marry Lando off was retarded. i mean yeah it's for mutual benefits, but Lando needs to be single.
    As does Jacen Solo. I hope they don't pair him up either.

12. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    About Leia's decision in BFC....if you will recall, while imprisoned, Han said that if he thought his being held prisoner would influence Leia's decision about the Yevetha, he would kill himself right then. He knew that she would do the right thing.

And I still say Leia would find a satisfactory solution to the Ylesia situation.

Btw, good point, Ginger. :)

13. IellaWessiriNRI

IellaWessiriNRI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2001
    the worst couple is definitely wedge and qwi... (umm hello look at my name ;) ) she's "the neediest little thing in the galaxy..."

wedge is much too good for her

::yelling at KJA for creating Qwi::

EDIT: and plus Iella is just *so* much cooler

14. MJ.Frodo

MJ.Frodo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2000
    "I'm not sure a couple in crisis can be considered "the worst couple." In the real world (must be having a lucid moment here ), all couples have their hard times, and Han and Leia are no different. I think that their problems in the NJO, while they could have been elaborated upon, were beleiveable in that they were together for over 20 years, and no couple can be happy and in love every moment of that time. The important thing is that they made their way back to each other. IMO, at least."

Right,but some couples or families (also in real life)getting nearer or closer to each other.Comforting each other after the loss of an beloved one,child etc. Not separated, drunk etc.
    I've considered the Han and Leia relationship as such,after being married about 20 years,not the NJO version. :)
    But that's just only me ;)
    But as you have said the important thing now is that they made their way to each other.

15. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    "Wedge and Qwi.

A human and alien together is gross."

really?
    i would venhemntly disagree. i think one of star wars' greatest strengths is the possibilities concerning cross species harmony and friction.
    Look at Gavin and Asyr? they where one of the best couples, yet they were broken up, Asyr thrown into EU limbo, and Gavin ends up hooking up with some human chick.
    Very IMPERIAL in nature, is the anti-alien basis shown by some of the authors.
    but i gotta agree - Winter and Ackbar - that is most definently a "What the?"

16. crystal417

crystal417 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    I think Lando and Tendra were a cute couple. They met because Lando wanted money but they wound up falling in love. I absoulty love those two together. What ever happened to Tendra anyway?

Leia and Bria are alike? I don't think so. They are totally different. I kinda like Bria but she was too childish for Han. She betrayed him so many times and Leia never would have down that. Yeah they both cared about the Rebellion but Leia would have given Han his half. Leia is a stronger leader, too. ACK! I could go on all day.

And I don't care what anybody says I like the Winter/Ackbar thing.

17. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Oh, my god, seems there are some really big Leia fans.

And how easy is it to be noble, pure and innocent if you grow up as a princess on a peaceful world like Alderaan.

Hmmm, lets see.

Bria fights slavers (like the empire) for the freedom of the slaves.

Leia fights the empire for freedom for the galaxy.

Bria is member of the rebellion, a leading officer, respected and admired by her men.

Leia is a member of the rebellion, a leading person, respected and admired by her men.

Bria is ready to give Han up for the better of him (when she first leaves him).

When she is forced to fool him (ordered by her superiors), she still hopes she can convince him to join the Rebellion. What he doesn´t.

Leia is ready to give Han up (after ten years of marriage, BFC) for the better of the galaxy.

From the RotJ-Novel we know that to Leia the wellbeing of the people comes first and Han is then ready to accepts that, while during his time with Bria he wasn´t able to do so (remember that this change of heart started with him being freed from Jabba (again RotJ-Novel).

I even go so far to claim that Bria is from the beginning brave enough to fight the empire face to face, while Leia hides behind her status as a diplomat.

18. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    FTeik: Don't take this the wrong way, just adding my opinion. :)

<<And how easy is it to be noble, pure and innocent if you grow up as a princess on a peaceful world like Alderaan. >>

Let us not forget that Bria came from a privileged background, one of the wealthier families on Corellia.

<<From the RotJ-Novel we know that to Leia the wellbeing of the people comes first and Han is then ready to accepts that, while during his time with Bria he wasn´t able to do so (remember that this change of heart started with him being freed from Jabba (again RotJ-Novel). >>

I think that Han is ready to accept that Leia puts the wellbeing of the people first because he has found true love with her and cares more for her happiness than his own. I think that his love for Bria was a more immature love, rather than a love to last a lifetime.

Yes, he was a changed man after the carbonite, however I think that spark was already in him before, only buried deep down by the horrible experiences of his life. After all, he selflessly returned to the battle of the Death Star in ANH, and just as selflessly went back for Leia on Hoth. I think this proves that he had a caring heart that he just kept hidden. The experience in carbonite only made him acknowledge it.

19. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001

More on the Bria vs. Leia debate. Here's what Ann Crispin, the creator, of Bria had to say;

She's not a black or white character. She's someone who will do what she must to accomplish her ends. She's not nearly the morally upright person that Leia is, I'm afraid.

20. sweetheart

Jan 19, 2001
    And how easy is it to be noble, pure and innocent if you grow up as a princess on a peaceful world like Alderaan.

All that was wiped away from her in a second. Think of a the Holocaust and multiply it by a million. Not to mention her torture on the Death Star. She could have fallen to revenge for these purposes and stooped to using the Empire's tactics to get what she wanted, but instead remained fighting the empire without being ruthless and immoral. She fought the Empire for the freedom of the galaxy, not for revenge. Bria was fighting them for revenge of her ordeal in the spice mines, which was actually not that horrendous when you compare it to Leia's tragedy.

Bria fights slavers (like the empire) for the freedom of the slaves.

Leia fights the empire for freedom for the galaxy.

Bria is member of the rebellion, a leading officer, respected and admired by her men.

Leia is a member of the rebellion, a leading person, respected and admired by her men.

All your points basically say the same thing - that Bria and Leia were fighting for the same cause against the Empire. That's it. That's where the similarity ends. Their methods are very different. Bria uses questionably moral methods, kills people in cold blood, and backstabs Han all for the Rebellion. Leia fights the Empire but remains a virteous and honourable leader.

Bria is ready to give Han up for the better of him (when she first leaves him).

When she is forced to fool him (ordered by her superiors), she still hopes she can convince him to join the Rebellion. What he doesn´t.

Leia is ready to give Han up (after ten years of marriage, BFC) for the better of the galaxy.

From the RotJ-Novel we know that to Leia the wellbeing of the people comes first and Han is then ready to accepts that, while during his time with Bria he wasn´t able to do so (remember that this change of heart started with him being freed from Jabba (again RotJ-Novel).

The BFC situation was very different. She was not backstabbing Han or lying to him the way Bria did in Rebel Dawn. Han knew what she was going to do.

Bria and Leia both put the Rebellion ahead of everything else, but very differently. Bria puts it ahead for revenge and selfish purposes, and is dedicated to the Rebellion in a fanatic, driven way. Leia puts it ahead for the good of the galaxy, for the freedom of people, and has a healthy balance between the Rebellion/Republic and her personal feelings. She left the Alliance to save her love in ROTJ. I don't think Bria would have done that. Leia is dedicated to the Rebellion but not in the fanatical obsessed way Bria was. Leia would also have never left Han for the reasons Bria did TPS, their bond and love and respect for each other is too strong to let something like that break them up.

Han joined the Rebellion for Leia and not for Bria because he knew that he had found love with her, something he didn't truly have with Bria. She was the one to turn him into the best man he could be, the man who had reformed in ROTJ, while Bria turned him into a selfish mercenary we met in ANH.

I even go so far to claim that Bria is from the beginning brave enough to fight the empire face to face, while Leia hides behind her status as a diplomat.

So, you think that fanatically fighting a war using any method as possible, including backstabbing friends and killing people unnecessarily in cold blood is better than someone who can peacefully bring worlds in using diplomacy without losing millions of lives in a war?

21. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Wonderfully put, Sweetheart. While bria and Leia both fight against the Empire and are respected by their subordinates, so are Luke, Mon Mothma, Ackbar, Wedge etc. That's a common trait among memebers of the Rebellion, something that makes them all similar in one regard. It doesn't compare Leia with bria but the Rebellion with itself.

The difference is how and why they fight, not that they fight. bria fights for revenge; to kill the people who have harmed her. Leia fights nobley, so that all people with be free and no one else will have to experience the destruction of their homeworld like she did.

In regards to Han they are both different too. bria fell head over heals in love with him based on looks. Leia got to know him before and then found herself falling. The same is true for Han. He knew Leia far better than bria. While Han and bria's (disturbing) relationship was a physical one, while Han and Leia's was based an emotional one based on a deep love and respect.

22. sweetheart

Jan 19, 2001
    Good points Adi. There are many Rebels who are willing to fight and die for the cause. Are they all the same? If Han fell for Luke, would you say that he saw Bria in him? ;) J/K.

Bria and Han's relationship was mostly infatuation and puppy love. Like the canon ROTJ novelization says, Leia is the first and only woman Han ever loved.

23. accrispin

accrispin Author of the Han Solo Trilogy star 1 VIP

Jul 11, 1998
    I've read the commentary in this topic on my character Bria with considerable interest. I'm glad most of the folks posting here seem to understand what I was trying to do with her character. I don't mind that so many fans hate her. The only thing that bothers me when people diss the character is if they assume that the character does rotten things *because I am a dumb writer and couldn't write a "nice" character.* In other words, they assume I made a mistake, and that I was trying to write another Mara Jade, for example, and failed.

I find this is annoying, and I'm glad that attitude hasn't turned up in this discussion.

Just to be very clear...verything I did in creating the characters in my Star Wars books was done for a *reason.* Nothing happened at random. :)

Bria was deliberately created to be a conflicted, tormented woman who did good things for bad reasons, and bad things for good reasons. She was intended to be a morally ambiguous individual, painted on the page, not in black and white, but in shades of gray. I knew from the moment I created the character that she would occasion a lot of ire from fans.

This was fine by me. Her actions, in my mind, helped to shape Han Solo's character, and make him the person we first encountered in the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Anyhow, I'd be happy to discuss the subject here, if there are questions/comments. I've noticed that when I post, it tends to bring the discussion underway to a crashing halt. That's not my intention in making a comment, honest!

<g>

Best,

-Ann C. Crispin

24. Master_Mace

Master_Mace Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    I think that jaina should fall for kyp for wurth. Leia and isolder was bad. what about anikan and padme. that was just stupid .he is like 9 and she is 14 and they are in love.

25. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    i love the han solo trilogy. that series is the reason i'm even reading these books. han walking the streets of coruscant in a melancholy daze still sticks out in my mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.