main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is this?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ReaperFett, Sep 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    My guess is that it is Corran, considering it is the second cover to Ruin. He shaved and cleaned up as he returned to the military, so that would be why there was no beard. And as for him not looking like the Corran on the cover of I, Jedi, remember that it is a Japanese book, and their art style is different to those for the other covers. Plus it wouldn't be the first time non-movie characters have looked different on the covers.

2. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    What Kadue said :D

3. Corran

Corran Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    My guess is that its just someone who made something and then someone tought it was good and delivered it to someone who tought this can be used on a cover and then delivered it to someone who agreed and nobody realy knows who it is just that someone made it and a bunch of others liked it

4. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
  5. Traders_Luck

Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    a bad drawing of luke?

6. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't remember Corran shaving off his beard so that he could return to military duty. And we must remember that there have been other SW officers who maintained beards while in the military. The two most prominent being General Dodonna and General Madine. Corran could return with a beard if he kept it properly trimmed and kept.

However, all that said, it could be Corran. Corran was the main character of Ruin, so it makes sense to use him for the cover. Also note the blade color being that of Corran's blade. And keep in mind that this was done for a Japanese cover. Certain liberties could be taken into account if Corran appears differently in Japan than he does over here. And, if the artist was working with an older description of Corran, he or she could have drawn Corran more to the older description than to the newer one. Also, this looks like Corran is in the heat of the duel at the end of Ruin.

Yes, that does appear to be Jaina, who really didn't play a role as a Jedi in Ruin. The pilot's suit hints at that. And it being Jaina leads me to another speculation of who it could be, though it's a speculation that would be greatly incorrect. That being the possibility that it's Jacen.

It makes very little sense to use Jaina, carrying a lightsaber at that, in conjuntion with Corran. Perhaps it was felt she should be there. But why not show the twins together on the cover? It would make more sense to show Jaina with Corran if she'd been used heavily with him in the novel. But with her brother, that makes more sense. Both of them are seen fighting the Vong in Ruin. And the clothing would hint at the mission Jacen went on with Corran and Ganner.

However, to point out the flaws in this speculation. First off, even if folks appear to be different for Japanese covers than they do over here, one would expect that there should be some resemblence between the twins. And Jacen looks a lot like Han. The centeral characters face looks nothing like Han's, nor is there even the slightest resemblence to Jaina. Second, though it does look younger than Corran is in Ruin, the face is still too old to be Jacen's. And third, the lightsaber's blade color again. Jacen's blade is green.

Most likely, it's Corran.

7. phantasm66

phantasm66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2000
    how about saber color? i can't recall who had what color, but that might help..

8. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Didn't Corran have a silver blade?

9. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Knight1192 & Trader's_Luck : Jacen, Anakin & Luke are on the other side of the cover...

[image=http://www.swbooklist.com/intl/jp/ruin1_jp.jpg]

EDIT : And, Jade, the lightsaber on this cover is indeed silverish. So it has to be Corran.

EDIT 2 : It even looks better as a whole :

[image=http://www.theforce.net/books/newspics/covers/DT_Ruin.jpg]

10. RogueJeedai

RogueJeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    this is obviously Kyp!
    1. anyone remember the Jedi Academy Comics? This pic really resembles Kyp from then.
    (Here's a JA Kyp pic.)
    2. also, violet lightsaber with a white core, anyone?

11. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    THIS IS THE COLOR USED BY THE ARTIST, AND IT'S NOT VIOLET, BY FAR. IT'S BLUE-GREY, WHICH COULD BE QUITE CLOSE TO SHINY SILVER. THIS IS VIOLET. AND THIS IS PURPLE.

Moreover, as I said before, Corran is pivotal to this book, whereas Kyp isn't. If I remember well, he was only briefly mentionned a few times. So it would make no sense to put him that big on the cover.

And this this was taken from the Japanese RS Novels, I think :

[image=http://www.rebelpilots.com/files/books/corranjapanese.gif]

It closely ressembles the guy on that cover.

And furthering it, except for the hair color, here's Corran from the Family Ties comics :

[image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/pics/Expanded_Universe/Rogue_Squadron/corran1.jpg]

12. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Thanks PrinceXizor for the whole cover. See what happens when I only have a partial dust jacket to work with. I speculate.

The full cover should indeed confirm that this is Corran and not Kyp or anyone else. As has been stated several times on this thread, Ruin was virtually all about Corran. Onslaught can be said to have been about Luke, Corran, Mara, Anakin, Jacen, and Jaina since all these characters saw a lot of use. Though Corran is more the central figure in Onslaught than any of the others there. However, there is no other central figure in Ruin. So many others appear, but it is about Corran and his fall from grace in the eyes of so many. More over, Kyp barely played a part in Ruin. There is no reason to use someone who barely appears on the cover.

Some final notes. Aside from the spiky hair, Luke looks like he did in ROTJ. This is much better than the slick backed hair look we're getting for him here because it doesn't make him look sick and always on the verge of death. Also, the Solo kids look a good deal like they do in the Essential Guide to Characters.

13. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    From Ruin :

p.12 : "Corran shook his head, spraying sweat from his brown hair and beard."

Okay, okay, "beard"... BUT :

p.43 : "Corran ran a hand over his newly shaved jaw."

So, to those who said it wasn't Corran : you lose. I won. [face_devil] :D

(And, no, I'm not a psycho, I was just rereading Ruin and I remembered that thread.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.