main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Who is/was the richest person in the history of the galaxy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by FTeik, Jan 25, 2017.

1. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    As the thread-title asked, WHO was the richest person in galactic history? In Legends as well as in NuCanon? Whose wealth was so great, that it became actually proverbial within GFFA culture?

In the real world we have the likes of Marcus Licinius Crassus, Kings Kroesus and Midas, Jacob Fugger, Manzer Munzu, J.D.Rockefeller, Baron Rothshield and Bill Gates.

I've heard, that in some parts of the world, when someone has lots of money, people say "he's richer than Scrooge McDuck" to provide a mixture of real life culture and fiction and we've probably have all heard the Westeros-version of the meme "rich as a Lannister".

But who is or has been the top dog in the Galaxy far, far away?

Ignore the Emperor for this, because, well, he is the Emperor. But aside from his Imperial Majesty, who do we have?

Was it Count Dooku, who as a Count of Serenno is supposed to own one of the largest fortunes in the galaxy and who claimed to have funded much of the CIS out of his own private pocket?

Was it Hego Damask, Chairman of Damask-Holdings, who financed the clone-army and had the IGBC dancing to his tune?

Was it Orman Baron Tagge, Chairman of the Tagge Corporation and leader of the Galactic Corporate Policy League, the secret cabal behind the creation of the modern Corporate Sector?

Was it Xim the Despot, whose treasures were sought by adventurers even 25 millenia after his death?

Or - Force forbit - does the title go to one of the Hutts?

Kylun and Master_Rebado like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Bohhuah Mutdah was portrayed as being "the richest being in the galaxy" during the period the Lando Calrissian Trilogy was set (5 BBY) in Legends.

3. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    Prince Xizor is probably up there.

4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I imagine the wealthiest people are the corporate bigwigs who run the various defense corporations. With the Hutts, beings like Xizor, and others probably coming around as well.

5. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    I think Jabba the Hutt

6. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    The Qreph's from Crucible, maybe

DelRiego and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The Prex and/or the ExO of the Corporate Sector Direx Board (I hate all those names) are probably ridiculously wealthy.

8. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    in legends they talked up vader as having a lot of money and not caring for it. xizor would be up there. the hapan queen

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I imagine given Vader's rank he probably owned a lot of assets, but being an order obsessed Sith Lord probably didn't bother to so much as check on them.

The Hapan Queen was pretty wealthy-Tenel Ka

Hego Damask was probably fantastically wealthy as well.

10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    IIRC, Shadows of the Empire said that the three wealthiest men in the galaxy circa 4 ABY were Palpatine, Vader and Xizor.

Darth Caliban and Daneira like this.
  11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Is it Wick Cooper???

[​IMG]

12. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Palpatine no doubt throughout the entirety of the saga (Eps. 1-6). He outright tells Cad Bane in the Clone Wars, "Your price is of no concern."

I imagine that Lord Vitiate was extremely rich during the entirety of 5000 BBY to the Old Republic timeframe.

During the chaos of the Light and Darkness War (New Sith Wars) where there was no one Dark Lord running the Sith, I'm guessing contractors like Czerka got extremely rich.

And post-ROTJ... Maybe Snoke?

Obviously on paper all of these darksider people would have extremely modest finances (they are public "servants" in government after all ;) ). But if you use the logic on how much their galaxy conquering plans actually cost, they are obviously worth way more than the people like Raith Sienar, Jabba the Hutt, Xizor, etc who would have the most money on paper.

Darth Caliban and TheRedBlade like this.
  13. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I actually think Shadows of the Empire's Claim, that the top three spots are occupied by Palpatine, Vader and Xixor to be problematic.

Palpatine is acceptable, since he is the Emperor, allusions to his wealth are made elsewhere and he is basically the heir to Hego Damask/Darth Plageus and the amassed resources of thousand years of Sith.

Vader by comparison I don't see concerned with accumulating wealth and I also don't think he has the time to build up his finances.

However my main pet-peeve is with Prince Xixor. That guy was a swell-headed windbag with delusions of grandeur. His corporation XixorTransportSystems did provide 300 ships to the construction of the second DeathStar and that must have been a considerable amount considering Vader and Xixor personally had to negotiate on it. Compare this to the "myriad" of Lucrehulks the TradeFederation has according to Cloak of Deception.
    Or to put it even more into perspective: According to Han Solo and the Corporate-Sector Sourcebook, to become a shareholder of the CorporateSectorAuthority a corporation has to invest the equivalent of 50 Quintillion credits to become a Voting Sponsor and 50 Quadrillion credits to become a Contributing Sponsor (in some years the dividend for such an Investment was 360 percent). Xixor and XTS were never associated with the CSA, so I would imagine he failed to be permitted into that exclusive Club.
    One could argue, that Xixor was among the top three because of his Position as Underlord of Black Sun, but that organization has been trimmed since the release of Shadows of the Empire (Zann Consortium anyone?).

Considering what I know and aside from Palpatine my top contender for richest being of the galaxy - for the Legends-Universe - at the time of the OT would be either the Head of the House of Tagge (Orman Tagge until his death, after that his brother Ulric), the Head of House Praji http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/House_Praji - whoever that may be at that time or another unknown noble who can trace his Family-tree back to the founding of the Old Republic.

As far as NuCanon is concerned I have no idea.

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    How far up the ladder was Jabba anyway in comparison to other Hutts and crimelords? I mean, the guy was stuck on Tatooine...

15. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    I remember reading somewhere that it was his choice to stay on Tatooine. In the Clone Wars movie he seemed to have a lot of power (trade routes, etc.).

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It was much better when Jabba was just a local two-bit gangster that Han happened to owe, but oh well.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The first source to paint him as "the big fish" of the galactic underworld, was Heir to the Empire as I recall.

AusStig likes this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yup yup yup. Why they decided to take a big fish in a small pond and say he was a big fish in the biggest pond of all I have no clue.

19. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Bohhuah Mutdah, Kuat of Kuat, Orman Tagge, and Ragez D'asta would be my top contenders.

JediFett10 likes this.
  20. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Jabba had to be a high level gangster to be able to hire Boba Fett, reputed in tie-in media to be the best bounty hunter since his debut. And apparently he can make trouble for Han all across the galaxy, by sending so many bounty hunters after him he needs to leave the Rebels by ESB. So Jabba had to be high up there. Jabba being very high up in the underworld was already implied by ESB, if not ANH.

A real world analogy would be this: A small two-bit gangster from rural America can hire goons from all over the world to make trouble for someone even if that person runs to China, Europe, Russia, the Middle East, Africa, South Asia, Australia, etc. If this two-bit gangster can do all that--well he isn't really a two-bit gangster is he?

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Certainly the Desijic crime family is far more powerful than it appears.

22. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Whoa I forgot about Bohhuah Mutdah, and I just recently read the Lando trilogy. I guess when I read that I just assumed it not to be true. Surely there are richer people in the EU, right? I don't know.

I'm still very curious to know where the First Order got all their money from. Is Snoke the richest being in the galaxy?

23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Someone had to inherit Palpatine's fortune.

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The fact that Vader was actually aware of him in ESB and didn’t seem to want to annoy him to much by possible killing Han always hinted that he was something of a bigger fish.

25. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

Yeah. Palpatine has a thousand years of accumulated Sith assets at his command, including the fortune of Hego Damask. He also becomes the autocrat of the galaxy's only large government, which meant that he could literally print money. His wealth was effectively boundless.

Daneira likes this.