main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Who is with me?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Bowen, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Edit: Poem edited out as it in in violation of the TOS - MJF

2nd Edit: Thread locked, please see thread I posted today for more information - MJF

2. jimsidious

jimsidious Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2002
    DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you are the man
    huge balls and all to post this to be seen by one and all
    I believe you are correct when to us all you say
    F$%K THE BIG V-DAY
    LOL Just kidding if I had the right person to spend it with I probably wouldnt think it was a scam by the corprates trying to hose more money from our pockets.

3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha, well I hope nobody was offended by the profanity there that I beeped out somewhat.

I just thought it was a really funny poem and had to share it. I personally hate V-Day, but that's just because it has never meant anything more to me than a commercial holiday where I had to watch other people and whatnot, but yeah...

Anyway, V-Day sucks. :(

Actually I did wear all black on V-Day, for the record (this was funny because it wasn't a conscious decision, but I often wear all black just cuz my pants are ALL black, so if I wear a black polo that just by default makes me all black with my black gloves and black down coat). I also managed to drink away the last few hours before I went to bed. That's the most alcohol I've had in probably six months, haha.

4. BeccaFett

BeccaFett Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2003
    I'm with you.
    I always used to wear black just to spite the day. Watching other people on Valentine's day is nauseating.
    You seem kind of bitter though. Hate leads to the dark side.

5. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Bitter, hahaha.

I wouldn't say bitter, perhaps just had a lot of bad experiences.

I am not bitter, but V-Day depresses me. It ruined my productivity for the better part of Friday and Saturday. I mean I got some done, but ugg...

Watching other people on V-Day is not only just nauseating sometimes, but literally depressing -- I don't flaunt my wealth in public *that much*, haha, so other people shouldn't flaunt their wealth in other areas. I suppose I do drive a sweet car and often wear expensive Oakley's, but that's really about it. It's not like I mention it to anyone in real life, at least. I just feel it's in poor taste to make out with your girlfriend in a public place, maybe I am wrong, but that's my feeling right now at least.

6. BeccaFett

BeccaFett Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2003
    Well at least you're not bitter....
    Valentine's Day is only depressing if you let it be.
    And hey, public displays aren't for everyone.

7. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well if anyone wants the poem, send me.

It was not in violation of the terms of service, in fact, as you can read yourself, but that's another matter. There was no profanity in it whatsoever as any language there was intentionally bleeped out. Last I checked an f followed by two astericks and then a k was not a swear word, but maybe I don't have the newest version of the dictionary.

In any event, V-Day is over so that's not really important anymore, but editing a post to remove absolutely nothing offensive, well, what is this? Brazil? 1984? Equilibrium? No, it's a Star Wars message board, as I understand, and that means freedom, unless it's an Imperial message board, in which case we should have an emperor and no rights to post anything that doesn't praise Him. lol, jesus.

8. ShaddowHunter

ShaddowHunter Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2001
    I respect your right to freedom of speech Bowen. But, I have to disagree with you on this being an Imperial ran board. Or anywhere close to being such a board.

Coming from a law enforcement point of view - Law states that the written word is not offensive to law enforcement officers but, once it has become offensive to the civilian public, and they are insistant on complaining about such written word, then law enforcement officers are obligated to enforce slander, offensive, and obscene laws which are designated by the court and legislature of that state or country.

And in this case, it is written in the by laws of code of conduct and present in the language set forth in the TOS.

The Admins, Managers, Mods and so fourth are the enforcement officers here, and are only following procedures set fourth by the Administration. So, in defense of MJF, the wording, and context is not appropriate for the younger, more impressionable generations that frequent these boards. CR's are held to a higher standard. Profanity has no bearing here, only the context and point of view is valuated for approval.

9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    First, no profanity was used, so I think it's not fair to suggest that. But nonetheless I can understand the concern, so it's not a huge issue...

My suggestion, though, if you honestly expect CR's to be held to a higher standard, then they must have mod powers -- I have never been on a forum before where mod powers are not given to local officials. I mean, at every forum on the entire Internet practically, you have a huge forum, like TFN, with a bunch of sub-categories, each one of which has its own moderator (sometimes a mod has two sections, even, or whatever). Now who here from Portland has any mod powers. Raise your hand if so. Nope, that's what I thought, nobody. Yet this is our forum, this is the Portland board. "With great power comes great responsibility" can also be reversed to mean that with greater responsibility should come greater power. That's implicit in the definition, so if you expect someone to hold a higher standard, you treat that person with greater powers anyway.

It's hardly the place for that type of discussion, but next time I get a survey from the "powers that be" (it really should be "the powers WHO be," lol), I will make a point of indicating that the hierarchy here is inappropriate. There should not be interference of regional moderators in local forums. That just doesn't make sense unless they are called upon to act. At least, to me, it doesn't make sense. I think you are better relegating power to people who actually are normally frequenting the board, just like each state in the union has a great deal of power and the federal government is to leave those states with their power and rights except in the most extreme cases. Well, to me, seems that'd be a great idea here too.

If I'm wrong, then fine, but I don't think anyone here was offended by the post (not my poem, anyway) and I would never have made it if I thought I'd offend someone here. We have a great group of posters here; I wouldn't want to offend any of them! Plus, I did remove the swear words for that reason, although I had to leave a few letters otherwise the rhyme would be off and that'd kinda defeat the purpose...

10. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    Bowen, I visit your boards often because I will be moving to Eugene and want to know what's going on there. I saw your poem and thought it was offensive and something a CR shouldn't be posting. I brought it to the attention of a mod to get judgement on it. they agreed with me. typeing a f then * is the same as swearing. and I know there are a bunch of minors in portland.

and mod powers, they have been discussed in the CR forum and communication forum. see those threads for the reason you don't have mod powers

EDIT: CR code of Conduct

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    That's nice, but you aren't an Oregonian yet, so meanwhile, perhaps you should stick to your own forum and not disrupt ours. You aren't a CR here.

Perhaps you spend too much time in Washington and can't make out what is a good natured, FUNNY poem from what is actually offensive. If you really thought that was offensive, you must be a total square.

12. ShaddowHunter

ShaddowHunter Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2001
    Ok, now who is the one being an Imperial Totalitarian? Telling people where they can go and can't go on these boards?

Bowen, I have a problem with your atitude toward other people. Conduct unbecoming a CR. I am not a CR and that's not to say I am lower, or higher than you. Are you going to tell me to stay out of these threads too? I live closer to you than you can possibly imagine. I am saying your poem was offensive and inappropriate for these boards. Your actions toward a fellow CR, even though that person is from the other side of the country, is rude. Also, the name calling of mods is childish also. Your actions are not what I feel a CR should be. You're acting like an a**.

And if you don't knock it off, I will do everything in my power to have you removed. Trust me, others, higher ups to be exact, are watching you at the very moment!

13. jimsidious

jimsidious Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2002
    Hey I just wanted to say, I found the poem quite entertaining and humorus, it was far from being offensive and shouldnt the reply i posted be edited as well?? or is he the only one under the scrutonis eye??

14. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Well, I had been away from the forums for a bit, participating in life, and decided I should come see what's up on the forums. It just so happens that the first post up was the poem. Not something very appealing to read on the first day back in a few months. And now Bowen's going off acting like kids I see at school. I'm somewhat dissapointed at the moment with the FanForce community here...

There's my two cents worth...

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Hahahahaha,

The poem was not very appealing on the first day back? Let me guess, you've never heard ANYONE use such language as bleeped out cuss words. Wow dude you better check out Pulp Fiction sometime, great film, but the 411 swear words might bother you. Heck Star Wars has two swear words, guess we should ban it. Nobody can quote Star Wars anymore, it's for infidels, filled with profanity and violence. Shame.

First, this matter has been dealt with, I apologized for posting the poem because I didn't realize that it could offend anyone (I live in the real world; here in the good ol' real world, people are not offended by profanity that is censored, or profanity at all, actually, but that's besides the point). Next, you have no right to say you are "disappointed" in Fan Force or anything else -- you don't even come here. You are not part of our group, you have made no effort to attend our meetings, which have been great so far, and you come in here like a peanut gallery and act like you know what you are talking about.

We'd love to have you at one of the meetings, but not with that attitude. Everyone who has attended so far is awesome, a great bunch of people, we've had fun talking, watching movies in a few cases (AOTC, again AOTC at OMNIMax), and they have been really fun meetings so far. But don't come in here and start preaching about how disappointed you are when you haven't even made an effort to be part of the community.

If you were a regular poster and said that, I would apologize and ask for your forgiveness, but I don't think some random person who happens to stop in and criticize instead of adding to the discussion really deserves such a response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.