main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who knew that Palpy was Sidious

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Nerminator, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nerminator

Darth_Nerminator Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2005
    Hey i am just wondering who knew that palpy was sidious? I have a hunch that the sith did and possibly Sifo-Dyas and that Vos guy off Labrinth of Evil but who else:confused:

2. Family_Guy

Family_Guy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2005
  3. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I knew Palpy was Sidious after TPM, it was obvious in Qui-Gon's funeral scene

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I always knew. It was pretty obvious to me.

5. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I think Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Mas Amedda, and Sly Moore all knew before he revealed himself.

6. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Probably just Vader. Sly Moore et all need not know he was necessarily a sith--they were likely aware that he was a sinister character with fairly evil intentions but im not sure if i would go as far as saying they were aware of his Sithness. Tarkin is above Vader in rank and not even he knew about the emperor's sith heritage.

7. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    It was obvious to anyone who had seen the OT, and had common sense. As far as people in the films, I'd say Maul, Jango, and Dooku knew. Grievous and Gunray might have known, but I doubt it.

8. Sith_UK

Sith_UK Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Very few people I would have thought.

Dooku did (as was indicated by Lucas), Sly Moore probably did, but any others probably not.

9. Luke_Kenobi1

Luke_Kenobi1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2005
    C'mon everyone who saw the OT before TPM must knew that that senator from Naboo was the emperor from ROTJ or am i mistaken?

10. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    Sly Moore, Mas Amedda, Dooku, and Maul did.

I'm pretty sure Sate Pestage did as well.

11. soriano329

soriano329 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    I didn't know when I first saw TPM, considering I was just 9 years old. But when TPM came out on VHS, I bought it and on the back it said Palpatine was the Emperor.

12. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Mas Ammeda, Sly Moore, Sate Pestage and the one Clone Commander in LoE who discovered the truth right before dying.

13. Darth_Nerminator

Sep 12, 2005
    Well my dad pointed out that when you look at Sidious'chin and palpys you can see the exact resmblance. If only the jedi could see that...

14. General_Grievous_x

General_Grievous_x Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2005
    Here's a better question, who didn't know?

15. bry-maul

bry-maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
  16. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I already knew the second I saw his face (and heard that his name was "Chancellor Palpatine", for that matter). The resemblance is seamless.

17. Darth_Nerminator

Sep 12, 2005
    Well basicly all the jedi diddn't know
    DUH!

18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    When I first watched TPM at the tender age of sixteen, I knew that Palpatine was really a malignant force - a very explicit "phantom menace" - and was plotting to become the Emperor. I somehow knew he was evil from the get-go and didn't for one moment think he would only later become corrupted and fall to the Dark Side. For all intents and purposes, he is and always was the Dark Side. However, I didn't immediately realise that Darth Sidious WAS Palpatine. Although I was almost certain that it was still Ian McDiarmid, I initially beleived, rather bizarrely looking back, that he was playing ANOTHER Sith Lord (you might call it the "Star Trek syndrome"). Fortunately, even without the subsequent "Episodes", it became obvious when I probed the film further. I mean, c'mon... "I have the Senate bogged down in legal procedures" is strong evidence (if not complete confirmation) in and of itself.

I think what really threw me was the "Darth Sidious" alias. That was something totally new. Although Anakin obviously took on the mantle of "Darth Vader", we'd always been led to believe that Palpatine had no such alias. I didn't immediately put two and two together. Fool me, Lucas did.

19. DarthVennDiagram

DarthVennDiagram Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2005
    Jocasta Nu probably new about it, afterall, she was a Jedi and deleted Kamino from the database for him and was also Dooku's lover.

20. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    :confused: Where did you hear that?? o_O

21. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    I had a big hunch during TPM, and at the end I was sure.

22. lyle990

lyle990 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2004
    The original novel published in 1977 specifically discusses the ambitious Senator Palpatine who caused himself to be elected "President" or the Republic and then declare himself to be the Emperor later... so it's been well known for a while.

In the movies, I suspect Maul knew, we know Vader knew, and it is obvious Dooku knew from the look he gives Palpatine right before Anakin slices his head off. Other than those three, I doubt Sidious would trust anyone else enough to reveal it to them, not even Sly or Amedda (or Tarkin for that matter).

23. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    TPM was the first SW I saw and I knew as soon as that funeral scene happened and they focused on Palps.

Good Stuff

24. thebachelor

thebachelor Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2005
    In fact, the RotS novelization reveals that Grievous did not know. He asks Sidious why he was not allowed to kill Palpatine. (Was this in the film? I've only seen it once.)

The idea that Jocasta Nu was the lover of either Dooku or Palpatine and was responsible for Kamino's disappearance from the Archives is apparently a fan theory that often crops up on this site's forums. This theory serves to explain elements of the controversial Sifo-Dyas storyline, but it also may derive from some fans' intense dislike of Jocasta Nu, a dislike I don't really understand. (Does it stem from ageism, or from a prejudice against librarians?)

25. lyle990

lyle990 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2004
    My only experience of Jocasta Nu is from watching AOTC, but I'd have to say that the reason why a lot of fans don't like her is because she was a snotty b**ch. Just a theory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.