main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who knew that Palpy was Sidious

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Nerminator, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBO-NAW-NAYAS

IBO-NAW-NAYAS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    I didn't even think palpatine was a main character in tpm(i was eight and didn't get much of the politics or the ot) but then when aotc came out i watched the first and second one one after another and i noticed the chin thing and that palpatine looked like he was up to something and not who he seemed but i didn't gues he was the sith lord till like the first scene in rots with anakin and palpatine and then it all came together and was very obvious.

i bet in the story only maul and dooku knew

2. Mandalorian-Jedi

Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005

The people who were adamant that Sidious/Palpy were clones of each other :p

All of you out there, tell us who you are. ;)

I seem to remember a number in the "SIDIOUS=PALPATINE" thread. In fact the first reply was set that they knew Sidious/Palpy were'nt the same.

3. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    I was too young to figure it out the first time I saw TPM. I mean, I knew right away he would become the Emperor when I heard the name "Palpatine", but I thought Sidious was some other guy, and that maybe Palps got his power and corruption later. It wasn't 'till my third time seeing AOTC however, that the sith controlling the Senate thing finally clicked for me.

I would definitely say Grievous did not know. Just looking at the scene where he talks to Sidious, you can tell he's intent on winning the war and has no clue who Sidious is.

Also, in the cartoon, if Grievous had known the real plan, Grievous and Palps probably would have said something when they were alone after the Talz and Ithorian Jedi died, like "Everything according to plan?" "You know it".

Also again, in LoE, Palpatine influenced Grievous' mind once he was brought on board the Invisible Hand. That would not have been necessary had Grievous known who Palps was.

4. chaos9001

chaos9001 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    I realized palpatine was sidious in February or March of 1999 when an issue of Time magazine came out about episode one and it showed the picture of Darth Sidious, the cloak plus the chin Spelled Emperor. After that it was just me spending 6 years trying to convince everyone else.

5. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    I'm man enough to admit I didn't know Palpatine was Sidious on first viewing of TPM.
    Not being a real Star Wars fan at the time is my excuse [face_blush]

I remember a fanboy friend was talking about TPM at school, and mentioned the Emperor. So I say something like : "When does the Emperor come into it?"
    to which he smiled knowingly. lol

to answer the intial posters actual question (the characters who knew)-

The only character that I am positive knew of the dual persona - Dooku.

The characters I am certain didn't know (at the beginning of Ep3) - The Jedi, Grievous.

I like that Grievous never knew his boss was the Republic leader he captured 8-}

6. DarthSerta

DarthSerta Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    Dooku and Maul knew .GG didn´t knew ,and someone said that Quinlan Vos knew , but that´s not true , in the comics he thinks that the second Sith is a Jedi council member ( i don´t remember his name).

7. AaronKenobi

AaronKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Quinlan thought Sora Bulq the Jedi who had helped mace develop Vaapad and who fell after Genosis was the Second Sith. Maul had to know Sids raised him from childhood. Dooku knew. pestage is Eu but he knew, tarkin knows eventually(i.e. by the end of ROTS)the higher ups in the Empire by ANH all know if you count the comics because SW: Empire- Betrayal is about a attempted coup by members of the military who don't like a Sith theocracy running things.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Really? That's interesting. It also puts Admiral Motti and Governor Tarkin in a new light if you take the original Star Wars Radio Drama into account.

9. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    at least someone is man enough to admit it. i to thought sidious cloned palpatine just because it explained why the jedi were so duped. but i definitely knew sidous and palpatine were the same actor

10. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    Quinlan thought Sora Bulq the Jedi who had helped mace develop Vaapad and who fell after Genosis was the Second Sith.

woa, woa, woa. I thought Bulq just gave Quin some Vaapad tips after he regained his memory. Then, when Quin went undercover to the Separatists, he was certain Dooku was a Sith. Dooku told most of his dark Jedi mates that he was simply a dark Jedi, like them. 'cept Asajj. She knew. Then, Dooku led Quin to believe Senator Viento of the Republic was a Sith. Quin killed him and find out it was a lie.

11. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    I think they wore the same cloak clasp. So maybe...[face_thinking]
    [image=http://ftp.anakinweb.com/episode_1/personnages/darth_sidious/epi1-sidious_holo.jpg] [image=http://www.darkjedi.de/gallerie6/Emperor8-ROTJ-vcap.jpg]

12. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I suspected that Palpatine was Sidious the first time I saw TPM in '99. It was just too coincidental that Sidious would talk about the Senate, Palpatine would be elected Chancellor, and the give away would have that close-up shot of Palpatine at the end of the movie when Mace Windu asked 'which was destroyed, the master or the apprentice'. Plus in ROTJ novel he's referred to as Emperor Palpatine.

Sidious is his Sith name, while Palpatine is his political name; thus you combine the two and you have the Emperor, which were all played by the same actor. It was basic common sense.

13. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    I am a new Star Wars fan, and I did not really think about it that much when I saw ROTS (I had not seen AOTC at that point). I did not have a clue!

I imagine that it would have been completely obvious to a Star Wars fan............but as I say, I was not a Star Wars fan at that point.

I guess my point is this - some average film goers would not have known.

In fact, many in the cinema gasped when Palps said "you shall be called, Darth Vader".

14. PrincessofVictory

PrincessofVictory Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    I knew by the end of TPM. I was only in first grade, but my dad is actually the one who figured it out, he just helped me piece it together. :p

But Dooku knew, and I think Maul and Mas Amedda knew.

15. -DarthMetallus-

-DarthMetallus- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2003

Who knew that Palpy was Sidious?

EVERYONE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.