main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who knows the family history?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Obi-Ewan, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Episode III is important for many reasons. First of all, this is the one that finally sets up the original trilogy: having Anakin turn to the Dark Side, the destruction of the Jedi Order, the birth of Luke and Leia and their subsequent separation, and, since Mon Mothma is involved, presumably the beginnings of the Alliance.

But with so much crossover, especially characterwise (Chewbacca, Mon Mothma, Boba Fett), I have to wonder who, outside the Skywalkers, knows all the history of their family. For example, Mon Mothma will probably know Padme. She has to know Palpatine's history as senator from Naboo, and his successor in that role would be hard to miss. The question is, does she know that Anakin becomes Vader? Or that two of the most valuable members of her Alliance are the offspring of Vader and Padme? Surely she notices that Carrie Fisher doesn't look like Jimmy Smit's biological daughter. And the name Skywalker is sure to jog a few memories, assuming she has any, of Anakin. Chewbacca raises the same question, but mainly I'm wondering about Mon Mothma. For that matter, it's worth asking, who in the original trilogy knows the history of how the Empire came to be? And the role that Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padme all had to play?

2. Darth-Asimov

Darth-Asimov Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2003
    First who said Mon Motha was from Naboo? Second I believe R2 will know I don't think his memory was erased that is what makes him so much wiser in the originals he knows exactly what he must do his memory is never erased so he knows

3. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    I think that Mon Mothma might have some close relation to Palpatine, such a being a senator of Naboo, or perhaps the Queen! We know that Amidala is not Padme's real last name, but rather, an honorary name. How do we know queen Jamilla's real name is mon Mothma?

4. ultimatejedi90

ultimatejedi90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2003
    I think r2d2 knows more then he is letting on I think part of his memory got wiped not all of it unlike c3po

5. ultimatejedi90

ultimatejedi90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2003
    No No Amidala is her middle name her full name is

Padmé Amidala Naberrie ( Skywalker)

6. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Actually Amidala is her "state name." Apparently when kings/queens rise to power in Naboo, they take a new name.

Of course, I might be wrong... I usually am... ;)

7. Darth-Asimov

Darth-Asimov Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Not to be pointing at race but Queen Jamilla is african and Mon Mothma is white I find it hard that they are the same and besides the speak totally differently. Queen Jamilla is stupid and Mon is not. Like who says "the day we stop believing in democracy is the day we lose it." only a moron

8. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    First who said Mon Motha was from Naboo?

I didn't. She's from Chandrila. But Naboo has been home to two influential senators, surely she is familiar with them.

Not to be pointing at race but Queen Jamilla is african and Mon Mothma is white I find it hard that they are the same and besides the speak totally differently. Queen Jamilla is stupid and Mon is not. Like who says "the day we stop believing in democracy is the day we lose it." only a moron

No, they are not the same since different actors play them. Also, Ayeshia Dharker is not African, she's from India.

9. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Not to be pointing at race but Queen Jamilla is african and Mon Mothma is white I find it hard that they are the same and besides the speak totally differently.

Don't worry about "pointng at race." if they're different races, they're not the same person, and no one's gonna take offense at that. I just didn't realize that she was black, or indian, or whatever she is, cos' she wears all that cruddy make-up. Like, that is sooooo repulsiiive!

10. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    As for the question of who knows the Skywalkers, there are a few possibilities I can think of:

1. Perhaps the galaxy thinks of Anakin as a war hero who disappears or is murdered. But if that's the case, Owen wouldn't say that he was afraid Luke had too much of his father in him (unless Obi-Wan told Owen the truth, which could by why Owen hates Obi-Wan).

2. Perhaps no one know who Anakin was. Afterall, he was just the padawan of the great General and Jedi Obi-Wan. Sio Bibble didn't even know he was the kid who saved their planet ten years earlier.

Heck, by the end of the Saga, unless the ghosts of Anakin, Obi-Wan, or Yoda told Luke the whole story, I'd bet that no one knows the full story of the Skywalker family. Bail is dead, the droids probably had their memory wiped, Padme's gone. The only person I could think of would be Jar Jar. Maybe he's living on Naboo?

11. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    Jar Jar probably had a severe nervous breakdown after he realized his inadvertent role in the rise of the Empire. If he was not in a sanatorium on Alderaan, Palpatine probably kept him at court as the fool/object of ridicule. He'd probably point to him and say, "Witness Jar Jar Binks, midwife of the Empire."

Probably no one alive, other than Luke would be fully aware of Palpatine being a Sith. If Valorum were alive, which I doubt, he could probably explain the historical circumstances up to his fall but not subsequent events or the Sith background. However, in his shame, he probably killed himself, or was killed after the declaration of Empire. Probably, the Galactic subjects would never realize their full history until some Whill comes around and writes a journal.

12. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I think anyone in the OT who remembers Anakin Skywalker assumes he was killed in the Jedi purge. Very few people know Darth Vader's real identity. As for the twins I expect they are born in secret and hid from most people's eyes.

13. Darth_Nubian

Aug 21, 2000
    Tarkin seems to know of Anakin.

"You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion."

14. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Actually, he knows he is a Jedi/Sith, in other words, that he uses the Force. That's rather obvious, I mean the guy walks around with a sabre and chokes people with his mind!

What I'm saying is that he may or may not know who he really is, he just knows he is a Force user.

15. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    I don't think so. The comment was made in the context of a discussion of a Jedi, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and whether he was still alive. "The Jedi are extinct. Their fire has gone out of the universe. You my friend are all that's left of their religion." It wasn't Sith, or Force-users in general they were discussing, but Jedi specifically.

16. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Actually Amidala is her "state name." Apparently when kings/queens rise to power in Naboo, they take a new name."

So do Vice Chancellors in the Republic. ;)

17. Darth_Nubian

Aug 21, 2000
    Yeah, what Obi-Ewan said!

18. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    You're absolutely right. Still, I think it might be possible that he didn't know that Vader=Anakin. "Normal" people probably didn't have a clue what Sith were, so they probably associate lighsabre's and Force use with Jedi or in Vader's case, a Dark Jedi. I'm not saying this is so, I'm just suggesting it as a posibility since it strikes me that it would be kinda dumb for Vader that his true identity was public knowledhe.

19. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "it would be kinda dumb for Vader that his true identity was public knowledge."

And the suit certainly makes losing one's identity much easier.

Then again, Superman did it only with glasses. Anakin's such an over-achiever. :p

20. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Great. Now I'm getting pictures of Anakin putting glasses on and saying "There, I'm Darth Vader..."

You've ruined my night.

:p

:D

21. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [Keaton] "I'm Batman" [/Keaton] :D [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.