main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Who knows Vader is Anakin?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Teaviex Cue, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Who knows? Palpatine (of course), Obi-wan, Luke (later on), select members of the 501st legion, and Yoda I believe are it. I don't think any jedi at the temple during knightfall saw Vader and lived to tell the tale.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    In TFU and other parts of the EU, it is hinted that Bail knew.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why wouldn't he know after what happened in ROTS?

4. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    He might not have been told about Anakin; the Jedi might be nervous to publicly acknowledge one of their own helped bring down the Republic.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Considering they're entrusting one of Anakin's children - the "new hope" for the future - to him, I think it made sense for the EU to run with "Bail knows".

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. He also saved Yoda and took them to Coruscant. Him not knowing what went on? Yeah right.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    Bail knew Anakin fell to darkness, but I don't believe he knew his sith name, or that he survived Mustafar at first. Still, it was probably no doubt he knew who Vader was when he suddenly showed up out of nowhere as the jedi hunter. Not even Obi-wan knew Vader survived until his existence was made public by the empire.

8. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    What I want to know is how Yoda found out Vader survived. I'm guessing he felt it in the Force or something.

9. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    Obi-wan died before Luke met Yoda. Maybe Obi-wan's ghost informed Yoda.

10. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Anakin's death would've made a disturbance in the Force. I'm guessing that's how they knew he survived.

11. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I don't think Owen and Beru knew. I think when Beru says, "He has too much of his father in him", it refers to how they perceived Anakin to be based on their encounter with him when he was looking for his mother. I think Bail knew he was taking the daughter of Anakin, but didn't know that Anakin had become Vader. Other than that, I think Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Palpatine were the only ones who knew.

12. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I bet all those guys in your avatar know. :D
    I actually always believed Order 66 was set up as already excluding Anakin. Palpatine knew he wanted Anakin as his apprentice so when he "programmed" the clones, he would have already told them "Kill all the Jedi!! Well, except for the young one with the handsome scar...."

13. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    double post - my apologies

14. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    I'm not too sure. The fact Luke has jedi blood in him was enough for them to shield Luke and oppose him making himself known to the Empire in any way, but I would imagine Obi-wan would tell them something, just so they know how much danger there is in Luke being discovered by the Empire.

themetresgained likes this.
  15. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    No, I don't think so. Yoda and Obi-Wan assumed Anakin was dead because they didn't see how he could have survived that. It doesn't make sense for them to be basically sitting around waiting to feel his death in the Force and then got suspicious when it didn't come. I think Yoda would have felt Anakin's rage when he first 'wakes up' in the suit. The movie portrays it interspersed with the twins being delivered (IIRC) but that could be a good couple of days at least between Yoda going to Dagobah by himself and that happening. There's no other way it makes sense - he has no other way of finding out.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU book Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, Obi-Wan does not find out until, in a Tatooine cantina, listening to a news broadcast, he hears the name Darth Vader.

17. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Much as I enjoyed that scene in the book, it didn't really strike me as consistent with the films (either PT or OT), where both Yoda and Obi-Wan seemed so in touch with the Force that they would have known already. Obi-Wan mightn't have been at that level at that point, but it was established that Qui-Gon was hovering around in the ether to train him - not much a stretch to assume that he would also be keeping him updated on such matters.

It worked on a dramatic level and it was fun having such an 'in-between' scene portrayed, but it really smacked of that EU tendency to explore the characters' humanity and everyday lives a bit more than was ever really intended.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Only Obi-wan, Yoda, and PalpSidious knew that Anakin is Darth Vader. I don't believe that Bail Organa knows that because he didn't see Anakin attack the Jedi temple and he assumed that Anakin was killed just like the other Jedi that were ambushed by clone troopers. Owen and Beru don't seem to know either because they were more concerned about preventing Luke from following in Anakin's footsteps then they are of Vader and the empire coming after them.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    He saved Yoda and Obi-Wan. He smuggled them to and off Coruscant, and was there for Padme's birth. Bail not knowing? Yeah right.
    Why do people keep saying Bail didn't know? How is that possible?

20. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    The movie never showed Yoda and Obi-wan telling Bail that Anakin is Vader. Not even after Padme's death did such information became known to Bail and even by then, both Jedi believed that Anakin died on Mustafar so their only concern right now is preventing PalpSidious from finding out about Luke and Leia.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And they were giving Leia to Bail. Yoda heard the name Darth Vader from the Emperor and I'm pretty sure Obi-Wan and Yoda heard it on that recording in the Temple. After all of the help Bail gave them, you really think Bail would have taken the baby quietly without hearing what happened to Yoda and Obi-Wan? That breaks my suspension of disbelief.

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It may be that they don't believe it because it's not shown, FS. Is it likely Bail, knew? Yes. Is it fact by the films, for most probably not.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Sure it might be a leap but is it really that big of a leap of logic?

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No, but some deal strickly in what can be proven.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Bail saved their butts a couple times and is going to take care of one of the future hopes of the galaxy. Would you really accept the baby without getting an answer to what all happened?