main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who left Rey on Jakku?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by nonesuch, Jan 27, 2016.

1. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Solo-Skywalker
    I like this the best too, especially if the trilogy is going to be about Rey v. Kylo; What if Snoke ordered Kylo ren to kill the younglings into a mirror to Anakin's scene in ROTS and he doesn't carry out the order. He couldn't do it.
    That would be an interesting twist too.

Not to discount the other theories, but Luke leaving Rey on Jakku is less interesting because Luke will likely be a side character in the trilogy with an expanded role in one of the remaining two movies, but this trilogy is about Rey (the light) and Kylo (the darkness). A story twist would work best if it's between them rather than a 3rd party.

2. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    I feel most forget this trilogy is about Ben and Rey, this isn't Luke's story, that time has passed; and if he left her on Jakku (as I and others assume) it would make any encounter after more personal and real, the interrogation scene is telling, read into what you want but the connect between Ben and Rey is personal; if we are to believe Luke or Luke's mistress, baby mama etc. did it than him as the greatest force-sensitive would've responded according; especially if Rey's mother was killed by the Knights of Ren either on Jakku or at the Academy; it would also say he didn't protect Rey, or at least try and find her;

Now if the parents are Han and Leia; their split, Ben and the falcon all make things more sensible especially since we know Ben is Han and Leia's son, and as such has knowledge of the Falcon (which just happens to be on Jakku) - this is not to say he story of how it got there isn't accurate but Kylo's siting in the seat (edited and cut from movie) shows sediment and that he spent many days on it, possibly piloting it (even to Jakku with his sister on it) - but who knows

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren likes this.
  3. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    This seems to be the most compelling theory yet... Which explains why Kylo does not use harsh tactics to interrogate Rey, but is noticeably more gentle and patient unlike how he treated Poe and Finn... As well as being quite obviously jealous of the friendship between Finn and Rey too!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  4. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    There are a lot of us that believe Ben dropped off Rey, if you recall his one true enraged moment when Rey was mentioned was when the First Order Officer told Rey this and I quote:

"the droid .... stole a freighter" - Remember that reaction and then the junior officer and "it had help.... - a girl"

No other time is his reaction to her aggressive, in the interrogation scene while he is reading her mind, or at least trying he isn't as aggressive as when he did it to Poe Dameron. Then later he has Rey at the cliffs edge and instead of pushing harder he says this

"You need a teacher. I can show you the ways of the Force."

Then Rey taps in the Force and the rest is history..... they have a past together.

5. t-trooperyc94

t-trooperyc94 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 17, 2015

It had to be Kylo because Rey can't remember anything before being abandoned on Jakku, not even the face of who left her. That had to be the work of force powers and I have no idea why Luke would leave her on that dump.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  6. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015

Either in the film or somewhere, I' was left with the odd number of the events that changed everyone's life took place about 9 years prior. I'm looking for where I read or heard this. The point is Kylo is older than 15 when it takes place. More like 20 or there abouts, as he is 29 in TFA.

I'll try to find my sources again and link you.

7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, didn't Leia in the novel say Snoke had eyes on Ben from the beginning? And Snoke early on bribed New Republic senators who were ex-Imperial senators to approve of the treaty with the New Order. Yet if the the massacre wasn't too long ago and the Big Three had had decades of peace and that Han no longer saw the boy Ben in Ren, it seems that Ben's fall was relatively recent.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  8. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015

It's never been a Jedi power to wipe memories from people.

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It
    I suppose there are a lot of things that one can do with pychic powers that haven't been shown yet...memory suppression being one of them isn't much different than a Jedi mind trick, if you really think about it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. yoda900

yoda900 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I confess. it was I. I am the one who put her through years of anguish on that crazy desert planet. everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

Actaully, just kidding, I think it was luke

11. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Why leave her in such a desolate place and with such a despicable character as Plutt?

Why do nothing about the girl he left on Jakku when he got there? The interest in the girl does indicate prior knowledge and the compassion could indicate friendship, kinship, whatever. I don't see how that makes a direct connection to Ben Solo leaving her there.

RobbyV likes this.
  12. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    Where does that leave the all the signposts in the film about waiting for someone? The tally marks on the bedroom wall, stating more than once that she needs to get back to Jakku? The conversation with Maz?

RobbyV likes this.
  13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    She was either dropped off by someone she knows, or some slaver that found and then sold her off to Unkar Plutt.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  14. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015
    All the signposts were from Rey. It was all a lie she told herself -- a story to make her mysterious presence alone, on the inhospitable planet, with no family more palatable. It's a story that gives her hope.

I think it's also a sign of her personality -- she's afraid of unfamiliar territory. So even when she already knew from the Force vision that she was just lying to herself she still didn't want to accept what Maz was telling her.

SkooterNB likes this.
  15. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    That would be a very flat fact to reveal in the next movie, "Oh, your family? No that was a psychological construct you created to cope with your solitude."

Or they ignore it, in which case there was no point making such a big deal over it in 7.

It makes sense from a psychological point of view, but I think there's too much of it in the movie to for it to end up being dismissed as a side issue. The less they use from 7 to explain what is happening in 8 diminishes the meaning and importance of 7.

16. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015

I didn't mean it to be a side issue. You should distinguish the two things:
    1. There is her real family/parents: she doesn't know who they are.
    2. There is her imagined family -- she thought/imagined they left her on Jakku. When she saw the Force vision, she realized that what she imagined wasn't true
    I'm sure the mystery of the identity of her real family will be revealed (whether they're still alive or not) and likely this will cause some future conflict for Rey.

laugh-it-up-fuzzball likes this.
  17. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    RobbyV - but to what end? What is the purpose of it in the character or the plot? She imagines a backstory for herself which isn't true, then finds out that her real family didn't leave her there and she was just dropped on Jakku by a passing trader who pried her from underneath the corpses of her parents. The psychological aspect means nothing, drowned in more important revelations. Having her longing for family to return doesn't add anything - she's mourning them anyway.

That just wastes dialogue and scenes from 7, as far as I can see.

18. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm not sure I understand the question very well... what is "it" in the question above?

19. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Uhmmmmmmmm KOTOR????? Uhmmmmmmmm Revan?????? If if its no longer canon the new canon is largely based off the old.

20. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015

Both relegated to "Legends" status. Probably because new management doesn't like mind-wipes in movies.

21. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I really like this Theory and posted something Similar in the Snoke Thread, It makes sense as it explains how Snoke got to Kylo and it explains how Kylo was able to destroy The Jedi Academy.

I think it's very Plausible Kylo took her to Jakku to hide, the only issue i see with this is....if he did do this to protect her and hide her from Snoke......Why then tell Snoke about her after he tries to interrogate her.

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm guessing that the little compassion that he had at the time was that he couldn't kill a child, and it was this weakness that he was hiding from his master. As far as not telling Snoke about Rey, I'm guessing he was trying to play off the fact that she wasn't someone he knew, nevermind someone he had spared. Capturing her at a much mature age changes everything for Kylo Ren, and so it makes sense to try to convert her when she's also very powerful. As far as knowing about her heritage, I'm pretty sure he isn't aware of who her parents are.

jimmycrank likes this.
  23. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    Sorry. By it I mean the character construct by which Rey makes up a family returning for her, feeding her desire through the film to return to Jakku.

24. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
  25. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    In the flash-back, who was about to kill Rey in the rain when Ren stabs him from behind?

I think it was Luke, distributing children in remote places as he abandoned teaching and headed for nowhere.